3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trick for making heavy carbons  (Read 434 times)

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
trick for making heavy carbons
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
I just made a little video that shows how i make carbon arrows heavy. This method is cheap, reliable, proven (been doing it for 15 years with carbon and aluminum) and the best way to get the extra weight need. I thought i would share it.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHneI6IceUo&feature=youtu.be

Offline HighTecRedNeck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: trick for making heavy carbons
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
LOVE IT !!!!

Just moving over to trad I was trying to think of a way to use the dozens and dozens of carbons I have laying around. I would buy a dozen, cut a couple to test with and the other 9 would stay full length.

Thank you, now I don't have to use up what is left of my brain power....lol

btw, how on gods green earth dod you get that off set on your fletchings ? I have a blitz and could not even get close to that. That looks like a 15 deg
You either do or you don't, there is no try

All The Way !

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
will do some testing and see how the extra heavy shafts work, I use the 3555 shafts(black hunter) and the heavy FOC but have just left it at that, the hunter shafts are about 30-40 grains lighter than the traditional btw.. I subscribe to elknuts theory about lighter shafts 530 grain out of a 55lb longbow having more penetration than the heavier shafts up to 40 yards anyway and then the heavier shafts out penetrate the lighter shaft. But you are shooting a bit more poundage bow so you could shoot a bit heavier arrow to begin with, have you done any testing to compare penetration with the 600 grain arrow to the 740 grain arrow lets say at 20 yards ??

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
I've got a ton of 550 para cord lying around, would that work?

Dave

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Need to post this in the "HOW TO" section great   :thumbsup:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Dave, this would solve the issue we were talking about with the weight difference between black and camo shafts.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
That's what I was thinkin bro

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Great idea. I've personally  been using air tubing for fish tanks. Pretty cheap but gives a decent amount of weight. The down side. Like mentioned. Rattle. Really bad. But they don't stiffen spine. Probably because of the space. I'm gonna try you're rope method.  Can you tell us where you get your rope or where it can be purchased? Thanks.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
I use CX 350s which is a very stiff spine for what I'm shooting, with a 100 gr brass insert and 200 Gr Kodiak mounted on a steel adapter.... Finished arrow weight of 785 grains...that's all I ever shoot and enjoy them immensely
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
great video thanks

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Howler, I never did any penetration comparisons. I like the quiter bow and more forgiving flight of a heay arrow and thats the reason i use them. sorry cant offer more help on that one.
arrowlauncherdj, not sure if paracord is big enough diameter. you want the rope to fit as snug as possible so that it will stay straight and not bunch up. for my goldtip 3355 the 3/16 nylon works best. when i shot aluminum 2216 i used 1/4 polyrope. it was lighter eventhough fatter but it fit nice and snug in the shaft. what ever you try make suer it fits as snug as possible diameter wise.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I just tried the para cord and it seems to fit very well, I shot a few arrows and it seemed to fly pretty good, the para cord added 51 grains to my arrow.(I just checked) I thought I had the para cord from one to the other in the arrow, but I just pulled it out and measured it at 15 inches, so apparently on that arrow I have some blockage. not sure what to think about that. I will do some more experimenting and see what I come up with,,,

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
thats a great idea.

Cheap
easy
easy to find rope
easy to remove

i like it
Kevin Day

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
I used this system myself for some time,then I decided to stay at 11 gpp so no need of a super heavy shaft.
I have to say that the cord for some reason makes the arrows more quiet if they hit something.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks,
My set up flys great but needs to be about 50-75 grains heavier.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
just keep in mind the rope has to be a little longer than the arrow shaft so that is stuffs in nice and tight. i would not put a 6 inch peice of rope in the shaft alone. That short section would slide from front to back in the shaft and not flie right. If you want lighter than 130-150 grains (what you get from 3/16 nylon) try a 3/16 braided poly rope not nylon. the braided poly will be about half weight so somewhere in the 60-90 "ish" area. sorry i dont have any to weigh and give specifics on the poly.  just whatever you use make sure it cant slide around in the shaft.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
for those of you playing along.
if you read my earlier post I stated I used the plastic hose and that worked well but was noisy
I just went to harbor freight and got some 3/16 rope $4 (home depot $11)
I weighed the plastic hose and a length of rope 3" longer than the actual shaft as mentioned for compression...Heres what came up on the scale

As you can see the rope actually added a few more grains than the plastic and the MASIVE added Benefit of Silence...
You should be able to click and play this as a video:
It compares the 2, Pretty cool thanks LB_HNTR!!!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
Side note I also Noticed at LEAST 6" of compression with the rope I got Some may have different densities...Which Might change things..
Havnt done the flight test yet tho...
Also I was able to get my shafts weight matched within 3 gr

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
My arrow is 32" long and currently weighed. It flys good and I couldnt find a shaft that would be just a little heavier without drastic spine changes. I put approx 35" of high strength parachute cord in (it happened to be laying there). The 35" of cord weighed exactly 100 gr. I shot the arrow 3 times and noticed no difference in flight. I was tired from a lot of shooting just prior to that so I stopped there. I need to shoot them side by side. I don't know if the trajectory will change much? I don't shoot well past 25-30 yards anyhow. So I don't think the 100 gr will show up for me.
Tedd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©