3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vibram five fingers....  (Read 462 times)

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Vibram five fingers....
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has worn the vibram five finger shoes on a hunt? They are huge in the running community an seem like they would cross over to stalking or on an elk hunt? Give me some feedback
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vibram five fingers....
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
I run in mine but wouldn't trust them to stop a cactus or mesquite thorn. Would probably work well otherwise.

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
I wear mine a lot on deployments. Tgeyre great for posture, strengthening ankle and calf muscles, a number of other reasons. Merrel makes some good ones too. Any flat footed no sole minimalist shoe is pretty good. But you will feel every single little rock or stick you step on. Once you get used to that and your feet toughen up you can run on that stuff and be fine. But cactus thorns would probably punch right through all of them. You would have to wear them for two months prior to strengthen your ankles so you don't roll them. But once you get used to everything I mentioned you'll be a ninja with your same stalking principles! Lol a lot of pain first though lol.
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
What they said  but to add in AZ we had what was called sheep head thorns. Some would poke through right away and one could just pull the thorn out.  Some times the thorn broke and then the poker would just poke you every step but wouldn't allow you to find it to pull it out.  Very frustrating stuff.

Also and this just may be fore me but mine stink to high heaven.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
They do need washed to keep from smelling lol
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
Oh they do smell!
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
Might get some 5 finger socks to help eliminate smell.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
I have played with hem a little but Mo is ultimately too filled with ticks for me to consider them for serious woods use. I spray my boots in permetherine. That said I am saving for some bellville minimalist boots. I will let you guys know how they are.

Offline dougbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
I tried to use them afew times and had too many mishaps.   The first mishap was using them for summer scouting,  I got into chiggers and my feet got ate up.  The next mishap I was deer hunting in September and had a nice 8 point stop dead in its tracks at 10 yard one step away from my shooting window when he smelled my tracks.  I even soaked the shoes in scent eliminator the day before too. And the third and final thing that made me decide I couldn't use them for hunting was I had a locust thorn go about a half inch into foot.  The shoes were very quiet but the smell, even with wool socks, and the threat of locust thorns where I hunt made me retire them for dog park and creek use only.

Offline dougbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
I tried to use them afew times and had too many mishaps.   The first mishap was using them for summer scouting,  I got into chiggers and my feet got ate up.  The next mishap I was deer hunting in September and had a nice 8 point stop dead in its tracks at 10 yard one step away from my shooting window when he smelled my tracks.  I even soaked the shoes in scent eliminator the day before too. And the third and final thing that made me decide I couldn't use them for hunting was I had a locust thorn go about a half inch into foot.  The shoes were very quiet but the smell, even with wool socks, and the threat of locust thorns where I hunt made me retire them for dog park and creek use only.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
I have some but have never hunted in them.  I like them, but they rub on my heals pretty bad.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
My understanding was that you wanted a stiff boot for hiking the mountains because the smaller leg muscles, (ankle/calf) would fatigue faster than the larger quads/glutes.  Not to mention sidehilling under a load.  Last elk hunt I wore midlength full leather light hikers (Vasque) and felt great until I had a hindquarter on my back when I wished I had much more support.  I'd wear them around camp.  FWIW.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Kyodai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
We joke around here in Colorado when we see "Hippie Tracks"  (left by the five finger shoes) in the creekbeds  :)

All joking aside, though, I have a pair of New Balance Minimus that I use often.  There is something about having less between you and the ground that's pretty liberating.  They breathe super well too, so if there's a breeze, it just blows straight through the shoe.

Gotta watch for cactus though.  Very little protection with this type of shoe.

--Kyo
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind."---Fred Bear

Offline crafty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I have several pairs that i wear on a regular basis. Hunting, running, day to day, on the boat etc.

For the field i have apair of original Treks that are all leather with the cleated thicker outsole for extra traction. I can still feel most everything im stepping on but not near as much as some of my classics or KSO's.  

I havent been out west yet so i cant really say about elk hunting but i did take them with me to west texas stalking rams a couple years ago and loved them. I will say if you are not used to them the rocks can start hurting your feet after a couple hours of stalking and climbing if your not used to that. I faired pretty well though.
~Archer By Heart, Bowhunter By Blood~

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Get an arrow moccasin bush boot, either single or double soled. You may glue a thin rubber strips or so on to give you better traction. Feeling is very good even with the double soles and you can walk easy on your toes and be quiet....

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Tecumseh brings up some thing I have been rolling around in my mind for quite some time. Whi not get some minimalist soles and make your own moccs?

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I use the low rise (6mm) trail running shoes instead of the toe shoes. A little better protection but still super light and great traction.
I wouldnt buy a pair and head out to the mtns without wearing them for a couple month. Your lower legs, ankles and feet would not take it. Covering country, climbing, stalking is awesome with virtually nothing on your feet. That is what I will be wearing for early season elk and sheep in late August until it snows, hopefully mid to late October. I run up to 40 miles a week in mine and hike 20-25 miles with 60# pack cross country to try and maintain some level of leg, ankle strength suitable for what I want to hunt this fall.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I wear barefoot shoes for most things.  Dress shoes, athletic shoes and trail shoes.

I don't think our feet have actually evolved to use an arch support.  Easiest way to knock down an architectural or natural arch is to push up, underneath (podiatrists and people that sell arch supports will argue but I stand my ground).  I think these shoes do wonders to strengthen my feet and my posture is WAY better than it ever has been.

However, I don't rely on them in the mountains.  If I were wearing a pair of running shorts and a tank top, okay.  If I'm carrying a pack and chasing elk, I want more support for my ankles.  The LAST thing I need in the back country is a broken ankle or leg.  That would make me bear bait.

Just my $0.02.
homebru

Offline BarrBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
I'm of the same opinion of most on the forum here, they do smell quite a bit.  I too was looking for a quieter stalking shoe.  These are definitely that.. I got one of the more aggressive treads, but can still feel the ground well. Like some of the others have pointed out, its not something you just put on for the first time and go.  I was out all day in the foothills, and when I finally got back to my truck, I could hardly push the clutch in my calves were so sore! In an attempt to be super sneaky, I would walk on the ball of my foot, most of the day. In flatter terrain, its not really a problem, but I was either going up or down that day.  Strengthening my legs first with them would have been good.

The other thing is when walking through tall grass, you really need to keep your toes together... It feels really strange when you have a bunch of timothy or tall grass stuck between your toes when walking through a field! It was pretty easy to get used to walking through it, so that the grass didn't stick between the toes however.

I have the socks too, but I find they hurt the webs of my toes, and are quite uncomfortable. So to solve the cold problem, I bought a pair of the 'Lontra', which are insulated.  When it gets too wet, or too cold for these, I switch to my bean hunting shoe.

I love the idea of soft soled shoes for hunting, so I won't give up on the 5 fingers, even though they have a few quirks. It feels great to walk through the bush being able to mould your toes around rocks and twigs, there's something primal about it, which I like. I say give them a shot, they look funny, and my wife makes fun of me, but overall they are a great option for sneaking, especially in early fall.

Good Luck!!
Barr
_ _ _ _ _ _______________ _  _  _  _  _
64" Black Widow PLX T.D. Cross Grain Graybark 50#@28
68" H.H. Cheetah 58#@28
_ _ _ _ _ _______________ _  _  _  _  _

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 01:23:00 AM »
I got a pair of the trek kangaroo leather ones. Im absolutely loving them. i hunt extremely steep difficult terrain for goats.

I used to use conventional Kathmandu full leather heavy duty hiking boots with hard vibram soles.

with the 5 fingers  i find i get less tired walkin accross slopes, and have better grip. My ankles were no less tired than they are in the hiking boots but my Knees which are usually shot at the end of the day ( and have ongoing pain) were perfect and have been perfect ever since i started using 5 fingers.

they are very quiet as mentioned by others

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©