3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting with eyeglasses...  (Read 404 times)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting with eyeglasses...
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Anyone here shoot or hunt with their glasses on? I'm just wondering if there have been any problems with them getting in the way? I wear glasses but after a car accident a year and half ago I was left without. I have been way too lazy to go get another pair but now my vision has gotten slightly worse and it's affecting my shooting. When I did wear them before I would just take them off for practice or hunting so to this day I have never taken a shot while wearing them.

~Tristan
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting with eyeglasses...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
I shoot with glasses and have no problems...

When I shot a compound, I had to tilt my head forward to see out the peep and ended up looking over my glasses...very irritating...but with traditional gear I look right thru them.  

You oughta peruse it and try to make it work...shooting without my specs makes a huge difference and my vision ain't that bad to begin with.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
I cant shoot with my glasses. I got contacts and have no problems.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
I shoot with mine, the eyepatch is worse to shoot with.  Had to get used to the fact I only have one functional eye, but I'm starting to group again.  I was right eye dominant.  Now I have a working left one, and a right eye that lies like a dog.  The eyepatch brought me back to actually hitting stuff.

Offline JB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
Choose your glasses with shooting in mind..you kind of tilt you head and look through your lenses at an angle. So choose lenses that don't obstruct you vision. Kind of the larger the lense the better the sweet spot in them. Talk with who ever is fitting you about what you want. Jim

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
The only problem I have shooting with them is in very warm weather when they fog up.  Other than that I never know they are on.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
I am getting my 1st pair soon.

I look forward to seeing better but have some angst about what will happen with my shooting.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
I shoot with my glasses on and have no problems. I got the ones with the auto tint and that seems to help reduce glare. Also like JB said, a little larger frame really helps me too.
I can't wear a face mask though, they fog right up and I'm constanly choosing between breathing and seeing!

Offline James Stiefel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
My husband wore glasses and preferred the rimless frames whenever he was shooting his bow. The lenses were ground to have optimal focus between 26" and 32".

Rachel

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Awesome! Thanks guys. You even answered some questions I didn't know I had. I have given some thought to contacts but I just can't stand the thought of putting them in and know that when push comes to shove I won't bother wearing them, especially at four a.m. when I'm trying to get ready to hit the woods. My vision isn't terrible but I have an astigmatism so at 10+ yards one eye can focus and the other cant't. It makes it rather difficult to "pick a spot". So, face masks are out of the question, even with the anti-fog lens coating? Thanks again everyone. I'm off to the optometrist after work!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
Been shooting with glasses for over 65 years without any problems.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Wear your glasses for sure   :eek:    Sharp vision is everything.  I wear glasses when I don't feel like putting my contacts in, but when the weather gets cold, I always wear contacts to avoid foggy lenses.

Go to Lens Crafters or other, have your eyes checked and order some before season!

Good luck!

Kris

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I wear them too and I have no problems.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
I've worn glasses all my life. Eyes got old and I then needed progressive lenses. Those things will mess ya up. It changes depth perception. I ended up picking up my fat bottom off the ground more times than I want to admit.

I recently switched to contacts. Much better! And the best part is they don't fog or need whipping in the rain
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline jerry womble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
I wear the Aviator style lenses with no frame on the bottom. After shooting for an hour or so I found that by opening up my stance some it worked great. If you're right handed move your left foot about 6 to 8 " to the left and this will open your stance to give you a better view of your target. Works for me.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
I shoot with glasses or contacts with no issues or adjustments....

><>>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
I've worn glasses since I was in the 4th grade. Now, I have to wear bifocals. I've had to make a few adjustments here and there, but whether shooting 3-D or hunting, I have no issues with them. This past year, my darling bride of 33 years insisted that I become a little more "stylish" in eyeglass frame selection. So, I got some that have holes drilled through the lens and the bridge and eyepiece are mounted with screws through these holes in the lens. BIG MISTAKE. The screw in the right lens lines up perfectly with the eye when I'm trying to shoot. I can't pick a spot on the target because the spot is covered with the screw that holds the bridge in place.

Point is, be careful of your frame selection and try them on and tilt your head to pretend you are shooting. If anything interferes with your vision, don't get them.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I have worn glasses my whole life, never a problem shooting or hunting.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
I've had glasses since I was a kid and HATE them. I think I'm going to get Lasik or PRK soon to be rid of them once and for all. I shoot with little bit shorter draw,so I can get my eye right over my arrow without hitting my glasses.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
I take my glasses off when I go to bed and put them back on when I wake up in the morning.

It would never occur to me to shoot without them and I have never had a problem shooting with them. My tinted shooting glasses for shotgunning are bifocals and drive me crazy if I try to walk down stairs, but work fine for driving or shooting gun or bow. My regular glasses are smooth transition bi-focals and cause me no trouble at all shooting a bow or gun or walking down stairs.

Since you've not been wearing glasses you will probably experience an adjustment phase of a week or so but, for me, being able to see something makes it a whole lot easier to hit it   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©