3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: removing factory broadhead inserts?  (Read 156 times)

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
removing factory broadhead inserts?
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
I changed arrows and need a much heavier point weight -- I have some Woodsman 150 gr screw in's and was wondering if I can easily get the inserts out of them to install much heavier steel inserts?  

These are factory "screw-in" heads.  Anyone know what kind of glue they use, so I'll know if simply heat will work?  I don't want to have to heat to the point of risking damaging the head.

Any thoughts?...experiences?...horror stories?
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: removing factory broadhead inserts?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
A couple thoughts.  

First.  We tend to use torches.  They may not be the best thing as their temperature is high and they can raise the temperature of small metal pieces very quickly.
An alcohol lamp, like was used long ago may be slower and better.

Second,  I have had good luck heating the insert itself, the stem, and not the broadhead.  Heat will transfer and soften the glue.  You may need to twist it out with pliers, but I have had this work well.

ChuckC

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
I am sorry to say that all the factory screw in woodsmans are mounted with some kind of non heat reversible epoxy. I have tried to remove on before and actually got the head so hot when I grabbed it with pliers I bent it and the insert still wouldn't come out Your best bet is to buy glue on heads and mount them yourself as I don't know of any screw on broadhead that uses an adapter that doesn't come from the factory with an epoxy type glue.
James Kerr

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
James, don't heat the head, heat the insert.
CHuckC

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
If the adapter is aluminum you will more than likely ruin the temper in your broadhead before you get it out. Steel adapters hold the heat better and will usually release after some careful heat application. What Chuck mentioned above (second method) has worked well for me with steel adapters, but not with Aluminum.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »
There getting a bit harder to find, but the glue-ons can still be had. I've made the original Woodsman into about every weight you can think of up to 250g with the right adapter.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Thanks guys -- looks like I may just pack the screw in 150's away this year and buy some glue on's to get the weight I need.  Looking to get about 270 / 275 grains anyhow, so probably need something different than the Woodsmans.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
I'd say - try to heat it and see if it works.  I've seen many cases where epoxy is softened with heat.  What's the worst that can happen?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©