3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many trail cameras?  (Read 120 times)

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
How many trail cameras?
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Let's say you gain access to a new piece of ground to hunt. It is 100 acres of mature forest, 50% upland pine, and 50% hardwood hillsides and creek bottoms. No fields or openings for food plots and baiting is illegal. There is plenty of browse and hard and soft mast and sufficient cover for bedding to hold deer year round.

Now let say this property is too far from home to spend much if any time scouting it on foot. If you had to rely on trail cams to do your scouting for you,how many do you think would be required to pattern the deer that visit and reside here?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many trail cameras?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
JMO, but with that little land I'd scout and mark some oak trees with potential.  It wouldn't take long.  Then just find the hot oak tree when you go hunting.

Cameras are fun to see I'd say about 1/2 the animals on your land.  Hunt the sign first no matter what the camera says.  I never let a camera dictate where I hunt unless I can't find any fresh sign.

On the number of TCs, 4 should be enough
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
I'd say at least 2 or 3, or whatever you can afford.  But like awbowman says the cameras don't always let you know whats there.  Put a couple out on well used trails, or around mast trees that are dropping their fruits.  Nothing can replace shoe leather on the ground to find the freashest sign out there.  Good luck with your scouting, shoot straight.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Even though you dont have time, I would walk the property. you would have to in order to get cameras in there any way.

Look at Google earth or a satellite image. Try to locate a few funnels.  Even if season is open, walk it.  Cameras are nice and fun, but you should be able to find the deer regardless.

Good luck sounds like a nice place.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Unless you have a very well defined funnel or pinch point you want to monitor to see what is going past and probably more importantly,   when they were going past, you might be better of with a camera or two over a permanent mineral lick.  Try putting out a camera over a trace mineral block.  Pour a jug of one of the molasses based attractants over it when you first put it out so they find it as soon as possible.

Checking cameras requires some disturbance, hard to get in and get out without some.  If the disturbance is always in the same spot it seems less damaging.   I'm sure some use it purely for scouting but to me the camera is just out there to see some of what's around.  You never get pictures of them all but it's fun to see a nice buck and at least know he passed through, it really adds to the year round fun for me.

When it comes to scouting, it's tough to beat a good satellite photograph, a compass or GPS, and a good set of boots in my opinion.  Besides, I think that's the funnest part of the game.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©