3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wake Up and Smell The Coffee!  (Read 257 times)

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Wake Up and Smell The Coffee!
« on: August 14, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Hunting season is nearly upon us! It is already here for some lucky dogs!

Right now is the time to be scouting, asking for advice on real world hunting situations, and generally getting excited about the slightest hint of cooler weather.

So, who has a hunting story from before I was born? (1992 if you have to be a stickler) Anyone want my opinions on scouting for elk? What about patterning early season mule deer? Wind pattern questions? Blind building tips? Reading a topo map to find animals?

Side note/conversation starter:
I think we may be in for an early, hard winter. Never have I seen so many yellow jackets, nor this aggressive.

All that to say, how about a hunting only thread? Nothing but talk concerning the bloodying of arrows. Just throw out any questions or observations about the upcoming season.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wake Up and Smell The Coffee!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Trail cams going up! Can't wait for season to start.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm going to miss hunting the western side of the state this year Malachi, but am already looking forward to some time in the Missouri Breaks.
Come on over, I may need help packing elk!!   :bigsmyl:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
I killed one of my best bucks with a left-handed recurve that I had to borrow cause I had a grade 3 seperation in my left shoulder. I am right handed and I could draw withy my left but not hold a bow up straight with it, so I borrowed a lefty and the 3rd. day of the season killed my best buck to that point. The Date Oct. 18th. 1992, I know cause I had him mounted and the tag still hangs on his antlers! Shawn
Shawn

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
I got permission from the wife to plant our new yard stem to stern with food plot mix.  I'm allergic to grass, it was a great compromise.

Other than that, I've left a lot of the woods be-I scouted earlier this year, and I think I'm gonna set up where the deer have to cross the creek in the backyard-I always see sign out there-including some big coyote tracks.  One or the other is coming home with me.

Also getting the 'yotes habituated to bait in the yard-around here, there really are no off limits tactics, they're a serious problem and I have it in spades.  We lost three dogs last year-this year I'm gonna enjoy taking it out on the pack.  Coyote hunting is just as fun as deer for me, and a LOT easier on my bad back.  Got a little shooting house I sit in the back yard and can hit them all night.  I'm getting excited.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Lots of acorns, apples and cherries in the hood and wood. Deer are eating the fruit heavy already. I think it will be a cooler than the last few years winter but Ive got wool so who cares.  Yes the time is near and my neck is swollen for sure.   :archer2:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
This time of year is one of my favorites. I am constantly poring over maps, and formulating strategies for opening day. There is nothing quite comparable to hearing a raspy bugle in the predawn chill. Also special are the sunrises. It is deeply satisfying to watch the stars go to bed as you hike into a spot where the view at sunrise will be spectacular. Time seems to slow down before daybreak when you are in the mountains.
Malachi C.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
I killed one of my best bucks with a left-handed recurve that I had to borrow cause I had a grade 3 seperation in my left shoulder. I am right handed and I could draw withy my left but not hold a bow up straight with it, so I borrowed a lefty and the 3rd. day of the season killed my best buck to that point. The Date Oct. 18th. 1992, I know cause I had him mounted and the tag still hangs on his antlers! Shawn
Shawn.. I want a pic! Quite a accomplishment!    :thumbsup:
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
could you explain about the yellow jacket and winter thing...?

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
yep went scouting in the woods for a ground set up yesterday at lunch.
By the way Im ate up with chiggars
Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
Russ, it may just be a wives tale that I heard somewhere. But somewhere in my memory, there is a notion that bees which are especially aggressive this time of year indicate an early, hard winter.
Malachi C.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©