3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: We stock parts for those........  (Read 907 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
We stock parts for those........
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Thought id share a funny little incident from a couple weeks ago.
Being in need of fletching tape I stopped at a couple of Pro shops in my area, and upon my request for said tape, not one but both shops  asked " what color ?" and promptly laid out a vast array of colorful cap wraps !!
It gets better, at both shops they tell me that cap wraps and fletch tape are the same thing !! after explaining the difference that cap wraps and fletching tape are two totally different things, both shops admit to not having a clue what fletch tape is and admit defeat.
Now for the best part, at the second shop that I stopped at, following the tape incident, the fellow behind the counter asks " what bow do you shoot ?" at which point I stated that I shot a Howard Hill ( I left out the longbow part) at which point he states that if I have any problems with it, that they carry parts for it, and can service it as well!
 This is the point where my people skills really start to decline and my goal of being a total ass kicks in, for it is now question and answer time.
It is at this point where I started asking questions about brace height, adjusting my tiller, arrow choices, hitting left, hitting right,  ETC,. and this guy had an answer for every thing until I finally dumped his apple cart, by telling him that a Howard Hill, is a "longbow!"..... the look on his face was priceless ! for it is was at this point, that he realized that he had just talked sh&# for 30 minutes, and didnt have a clue about longbows or recurves,..... and I knew it.
I learned two things that day.
NO. 1
If your gonna talk sh&$ about something you know nothing about, be prepared for a bad after taste when you run into someone that does know, and  lacks people skills.
NO. 2
Stay away from Pro shops, stick with people who know trad., such as our great sponsors, when it comes to bows, arrows, equipment, supplies and set up, they know there stuff and will help you any way they can to get you headed in the right direction.   :knothead:

Offline swampsnyper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: We stock parts for those........
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Priceless!

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Seeing that would have been worth the price of admission!

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I had a episode much like that.  I was making a string for one of my bows and had absolutly nothing in the way of silencers in the house.  Was driving by a "pro shop" one day and stopped in to get some cat whiskers.  They said no one uses those any more and suggested string leaches.  I thought I would try them and said give me a set.  The salesman told me I would have to bring my bow in and have them put it on the bow press to install them.  I assured him tha I could install them myself.  Even as I was walking out the door, he was trying to convince me that I would HAVE TO use a bow press.  Just left shaking my head.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by moleman:
.......This is the point where my people skills really start to decline and my goal of being a total ass kicks in, for it is now question and answer time...........and this guy had an answer for every thing until I finally dumped his apple cart, by telling him that a Howard Hill, is a "longbow!"..... the look on his face was priceless ! for it is was at this point, that he realized that he had just talked sh&# for 30 minutes, and didnt have a clue about longbows or recurves,..... and I knew it.    :saywhat:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hermon:
I had a episode much like that.  I was making a string for one of my bows and had absolutly nothing in the way of silencers in the house.  Was driving by a "pro shop" one day and stopped in to get some cat whiskers.  They said no one uses those any more and suggested string leaches.  I thought I would try them and said give me a set.  The salesman told me I would have to bring my bow in and have them put it on the bow press to install them.  I assured him tha I could install them myself.  Even as I was walking out the door, he was trying to convince me that I would HAVE TO use a bow press.  Just left shaking my head.
Would have loved it if you would have gone home brought your bow back to him and asked him how he was going to get it on the press.  Would have been great!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Craig_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
I had a chuckle.
Predator Classic Recurve
Swift BowStrings

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
That's not so bad as when you do go looking for something for your trad equipment and they try to sell you a compound or crossbow while they put down your equipment. That's why I keep a folded picture of Bart Schleyer, Self bow and the Moose he took with it. I like to show them that and ask them if they can do that.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
That's awesome.

My favorite thing when I see someone trying to work on their bow with a bunch of allen wrenches or the press at the club is to walk over and say, "I hate adjusting my bow.  Takes all the fun out of shooting it.  But some times you just have to do it."  Then I slip my string off, add a couple of twists, and brace it back up, all in about 30 seconds.  "Much better.  What are you doing there anyhow?"

What'd you say about people skills?    :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
I had a guy about fight me over glue-on field points. He kept saying "you can glue them if you want to I guess but they have threads on them....". I finally had to show him in his own catalog that there really were glue-on points with NO threads. Then he was all nice and offered to order me some. I went elsewhere...

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
C'mon Moleman.....you never know when your Hill may need a new flex capacitor or johnson rod!  :thumbsup:  .....as opposed to the B.S artist who get by or thrives, blowing smoke and sunshine.
And you are spot on with avoiding the "pro" shops....everything a bow guy needs is actually right here on this site!  Lucky us!  :clapper:

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
That's funny, right there... Sometimes I still feel like the second fellow that tried to help you  :D

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
I had a fella pick a bow up I had for sale and asked what arrows I should get, I told him he asked how much and explained shaft coat feather cost points coast. were talking GT carbons and he said his dads friends could get him arrows as he owns a pro shop. I told him he can follow my advice or by the arrows twice as alot of new archers do.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Reminds me of the young boy running the pro-shop that had no idea what a bow square was   :confused:

Offline HighTecRedNeck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
" Pro Shop "

That alone is funny. If those jackwaggons are considered a pro that would make me the Grand Master.
You either do or you don't, there is no try

All The Way !

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
"PRO SHOP" ........... total misnomer!!   :banghead:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
:knothead:

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Aww come on guys,, you just have to remember we are old fashioned and they live in the real world. Its not near as bad as going to an auto parts store where almost everyone working in there cant even change the oil in their car.Being old fashioned i once went to a car parts placed and asked what a carborator costs for an old bronco i had. He told me $485.I says,,no you dont understand,,i only want the carborator, not the whole engine.Yea yea i know,but i can remember when you could buy the whole engine for around that,lol.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
I can relate Moleman. The ones that get me are the ones that don't have a clue what you are talking about so they try to play it down and come off as arrogant and to look down there nose at you. I think that's some peoples way of trying to save some face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©