3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All you Elk Gurus- hunting pants ?  (Read 464 times)

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
All you Elk Gurus- hunting pants ?
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
I am heading to Co this Sept and thought I had things lined out on clothing situation but I'm just not comfortable with my pants situation, HA!  
I have camo pants that I just don't think are going to be comfortable for trekking around for 7 days straight as far as fit and comfort go.  So here's the question- I work in EMS and have very good pants that will do everything I want them to do and am very comfortable with the performance and how they react in different climates.  Tough as nails, water resistant, dries fast, fits great and won't stretch out after several days buuuuut....... They are navy blue.  An Issue if worn with camo pullover shirts and gaiters?  I have zero experience with these things you call Elk.  I know people kill their prey with blue jeans and everything else.  Your imput
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All you Elk Gurus- hunting pants ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
I were some od green wool pants from WW11 I picked up at an army surplus. Cost about 12 bucks 10 years ago. Kinda wide legged so I like to wrap electrical tape around the ankle to keep the draft out. When it gets hot I roll them up like shorts.

I love em, killed alotta elk with them. But probably wont get on the cover of a bowhunting mag with them. :~)

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
What are they made of, cotton?  Leave them home.  You need to think of two things: weather, and quiet. A secondary consideration is blending with the surroundings.  A quick study of the predominant colors found in the landscape will tell you it's mostly gray and muted browns.  If you have an "athletic" build, my number one choice would be Sitka; either the Ascent pant or the Mountain pant.  I have several pieces of their camo, and find-surprisingly-that it does exactly what they claim it does.  Russel APX would be my second choice, and is quite a bit less expensive than Sitka, but it doesn't come in shades of gray.  if it's Sitka, you want their Optifade open country.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Derrick,

If you don't like the camo go to sitkagear.com and click on "solids".  Try a pair of Ascent pants.  You will never want to climb another hill in anything else!

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
That's my problem, nothing fits a fire hydrant and I mean nothing.  Either they are to loose in the waist to fit my legs or to tight in the legs to fit my waist.  Irritating really.  It's usually not an issue but with so much walking coming up it is going to drive me nuts I know.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
If your completely happy with the pants you have now, except the color, why don't you go to a craft store, get some dye and change the color of them?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Just read Steve's post.  I have the Ascent Pants from Sitka, and I love them.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
I would give two thoughts.

First if you like what you have a pair of 3d net type pant change anything your wearing to really good camo.

Two Steve O is right on the ascent are great.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
Rocky Silent Stalker, very comfy! Not the Broadhead model either, those are too hot! Much better fitting than the Russell's I tried on, the waist band design is best I've ever worn!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
If they are that good try dye them.

I always used to use German Army pants but since trying the Sitka and Kuiu Attack pants. The Attack pants have to be the best iv ever used. Used them last year in CO. Its hard to go back to anything else now that Iv used them. Light, flexible, comfortable.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by tradtusker:

I always used to use German Army pants but since trying the Sitka and Kuiu Attack pants.The Attack pants have to be the best iv ever used.  Used them last year in CO. Its hard to go back to anything else now that Iv used them. Light, flexible, comfortable.
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 02:44:00 AM »
I'm betting if they make the pants you like in navy they probably make them in Tan.  I've got several pair of cheap rocky camo fleece pants I really like.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Go buy cheap quick dry pants in a tan/brown/olive color. (I found mine for 20 bucks) Use a belt to keep em up, and don't worry about spending a ton. Believe me, elk hunting in September can be HOT!

If your pants are cool enough to run around in the mountains with em, don't worry about the color. Elk key on movement far more than color.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
Where's mr. Shedrock? Think he kills his critters in carhart pants just what I've gathered from pictures
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »

Kuiu Attack pants

X2, don't own a pair yet but will be getting some here soon.  Hard enough lifting your knees climbing a hill, awful when you pants are pulling you down as well.  Light with a perfect fit, fast drying, fits the bill!

Good Luck

Kris

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Kuiu attack pants.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
I'll be rockin the KUIU attack pants this year as well. Love em!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Sitka gear has a new pair out-whitetail hunters they might be called. I got a pair and they will be winners for sure. Gonna check them out on my elk hunt.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
I've backpack hunted elk in all kinds of weather 6 times. All I have ever worn was cotton BDUs or camo jeans.  I have a couple pairs of long along if needed.  Not saying there is anything wrong with spending $150 on new pants but you sure don't have to.  If you like what you got, just wear them.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Layers, no matter what, LAYERS. Any and all forms of weather and temperatures can occur in CO during the bow season, sometimes all in one day. Want to go cheap, dying what you have and then layer with another camo pant/ shirt or surplus wool pant and a wool shirt from ARK store or other 2nd store. Got lots o cash to spend, many of the above ideas are spot on. Middle ground budget, look at Day One Camo. Good products, good service. American business. Or, the bigbox outdoor stores too.

Layers, versatile for weather and for matching the surroundings you hunting in.  LAYERS.

my .02
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©