3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Covington Ga area  (Read 265 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Covington Ga area
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
My wife is an avid model horse artist. She paints plastic and resin horse figures and folks of like mind gather together and have shows for their artwork. I'm driving her down to Covington Ga Oct 4th for a show that's scheduled for all day Saturday the 5th. (Think Breyer model horses)

Anyone from down that way? Any WMAs in that area? Any 3d shoots going on? (Not likely since hunting season will be going strong) ANY HOGS!?!?! in the area?? I'd like to stump shoot or hunt in a WMA. I still have my WMA license but will likely need to purchase a one day or a three day hunting license if I get to do anything.

Any trad shops in the area?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Covington Ga area
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23:00 AM »
Looks like BF Grant WMA ain't too far away.....

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
ttt for you Gyawjuns  :)

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Oconee WMA isn't too far from Covington. According to GON, 103 deer were pulled out of there in 2012 with a 20% success rate, and there are hogs and a beautiful lake too.
  The only real trad shop that I know of is Big Jim's. he's probably a few hours south of Covington. Never been there myself, but I hear he's got a great place, and worth the drive.
 Make sure you bring a thermocell. Mosquitoes are pretty bad.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
BF Grant shows an archery deer season from Oct 3-6. Ga WMAs have weird seasons. Gotta check the regs closely. Bucks must be at least a 15" inside spread!!!

I'll look up Oconee.

Offline troy butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
I am in a bow only club with most trad shooters it is in Elberton which is bit far, but if you dont mind the drive. Pm me if you think you may be interested.Troy

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure you are less than 45 minutes from Piedmont Wildlife Refuge its a 35,000 acres parcel of land that is open to the public during bow season... No size restrictions and no wma stamp needed just a hunting license and to sign one of the brochures that you keep on your dash which you can download from their website. The place is rather large and you would probably be one of very few people there... No hogs but several deer... A few lakes and a nice camping area... I'll be there some time near that date but still to far out to say exactly when... Its a great place and could be something worth looking into.
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Used to pass by Covington enrought to Atlanta. from S.C to Atlanta ain't nothin but woods so I'm sure somewhere close to covington is some good huntin.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Cybel WMA is only 15 miles from Covington will good deer hunting also Walton Dove Fields holds some deer that can be hunted.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
Redlands they even have a archery only section
Lots of deer some hogs its big
Its part of the Oconee national forest which is also a good bet

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
If hunting does not work out you can always visit the 3D range at Panola Mountain State Park, which is less than a half hour from Covington.

Offline JJY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
New 3D and static range at Clybel WMA also, very close to Covington.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Hunted Oconee WMA and all around Warrenton, Warren Co. etc. and used to be loaded with deer and turkey in those areas.

Back when I hunted around there you could hunt around all the major reservoirs (Lake Oconee) it was Corp of Engineer Lands..public. Don't know if it's changed or not.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
you and your bride might like joining Gloria and I for supper, if you aren't too tuckered, BudB?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure Oconee is a Georgia Power Lake--Not Corp Land and not public...
I think Archery Traditions (used to be a trad shop) may still be operating in Athens which is not too far away
rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
There's an Oconee WMA map and season. I probably won't drive that far though.

You must be near Ray. I'll keep it in mind but if things go like I want I'll see the sun set in a WMA. Then to the wife and pack up and then a 5.5 hour drive back to Asheboro. May things will go better than I want and I'll get something with the bow early on and then will have some relax time  :)

Thanks for all the tips guys...keep'em coming...

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Rick, when I lived in Martinez back in the 70's and 80's it was public..I hunted right down on Lake Oconee's banks. That was not far from Warrenton. But, I'm sure you know more better than me now..it might have changed.

I lived and hunted on Clark Hill Reservoir also..Leah, old Tommy Shaw's Little River area..and back then all around Clark Hill was Corp Land and open..is it still?

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Don, It sure is--The Corp land around Clarks Hill is still open--the Keg Creek WMA is Archery only, Clark Hill WMA is still going good--about 12000 acres I believe. Lake Oconee is formed by Georgia Power's Wallace Dam Hydro Power Plant--I'm not sure what the hunting situation is on the surrounding land but it is a Georgia Power lake and has a lot of development around it now--I work for the power company.
rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I live in Gray but am originally from Monticello, only one county away. There is a lot of public land, and although I haven't hunted it in a long time, there is a large deer population in all of Central Georgia.  Get a copy of the hunting regulations and a state map, and this will give you a good idea of the large amount of available area. National Forest land gets hunted pretty hard in the easy to reach areas, but with a little effort, you should be able to find good hunting that is not so crowded. You may want to contact local DNR or perhaps the Forest Service ranger and get a little inside info.
Sam

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 05:42:00 AM »
The DNR has on line detailed maps by zone Bud- try looking at the zone that's red-

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/maps/hunting    look at Region 3

Newton is the county you will be in where you start out from Intl Horse Park there in Covington

Most of the places mentioned are in that subgroup

I'm 25 miles north of horse park  in Buford GA -right where you'll drive by going home - at the split of I-85 and I-985-and Mall of Georgia
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©