3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Covington Ga area  (Read 266 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Covington Ga area
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rick James:
Don, It sure is--The Corp land around Clarks Hill is still open--the Keg Creek WMA is Archery only, Clark Hill WMA is still going good--about 12000 acres I believe. Lake Oconee is formed by Georgia Power's Wallace Dam Hydro Power Plant--I'm not sure what the hunting situation is on the surrounding land but it is a Georgia Power lake and has a lot of development around it now--I work for the power company.
rick
The best spring gobbler hunting I ever had was when I lived up off Keg Creek..it was the early 70's and all around the shores and back waters of Clarks Hill and especially up around Thompson and Clarks Hill WMA and Bussy Point were loaded with turkey. They trapped them off Bussy Point and donated to other states. You couldn't find another spring turkey hunter back then..99% of the hunters didn't even know you could hunt in the spring time..that was bass and crappie time.

All that area was loaded with big size deer also, that was before the population really exploded and size went down for a few years.

We had an archery club in Thompson..two 28 target Field Rounds. One inside Thompson and one on the lake with a big club house. To top it off we had a big archery..before compounds..only hunting club that bordered Clarks Hill WMA..loaded with deer and turkey. $70.00 per year for membership to the ranges and hunting club.

Sorry to get off topic..couldn't help myself..good ole days.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©