3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help with boot choice  (Read 802 times)

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help with boot choice
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
I've got a pair of Meindles that I wear almost everywhere and I love them. Only downside I've seen after three years is they are a bit heavy but very comfortable

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
I have Irish Setters that seemed to last forever. Last year I went to Idaho for elk so I bought a pair of danners to try out. They broke in quick and I ended up wearing them the hole 10 days I was there. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these boots. Try to buy the one's made in the US. They are the best!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Park,
While not all leather I would HIGHLY suggest L.L beans main hunter boots. Affordable , long lasting and unbelievably comfortable. Just my suggestion
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
I have a pair of Kenetrek...not cheap, but the best I have had on my feet.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
BTW the Meindl's are German made and have a cork insert that will mold to your foot which makes them so darn comfortable. Sold through Cabelas.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
russellmoccasin go check out the site custom made in America.
...Mark

Offline refugerambler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Woody Max Muck boots are the bomb! Lightweight and warm
Bear Cheyenne 55@28
Brooks Artisan 53@28

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Kenetrek for me, their Mountain Extreme non-insulated.  Made in Italy, great comfort, almost no breakin, wonderful support, I have a pair of Zamberlain's too, but prefer the Kenetreks.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
I used to wear out a pair of Rocky's or Cabelas (by Danner) boots a year.  I also bought 10.5 or 11 wides.  I finally broke down in around 2002 and ordered a pair of TLC Woodcock boots from Russell moccasin co.  I had the soles replaced a year and a half ago, worn smooth, and now they are like new after 11 years.  Best $300 I ever spent on boots - that works out to about $2000 worth of Rocky's or Danners I would have worn out by now.

Oh, and by sending in measurements to a boot making company, instead of buying over the counter boots from China, I found out I'm really a size 9 X 4E ....had to buy the 10.5 or 11 and put up with the extra length to get the width I needed.

I bought a pair of their "Mountain Climber" boots with 400g Thinsulate for later season colder weather, and I have a pair of the Thula Thula ankle boots with the newporter sole that I wear to work.  The Thula Thula's have already outlasted a pair of the normal $80 shoes that I wore to work, so a couple more years and they pay for themselves too.  Oh...and the feet don't hurt anymore  :)

I'm a Russell fan...

R

Offline Tatonka17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
I've owned a lot of boots and I've finally settled on Crispis. Expensive, but worth it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
I love the Irish Setters for my cold weather boots, but the last two years i've been wearing The "Keen
Ketchum Hiker"... These are a lot lighter weight than my Irish Setters, but they are very tough waterproof boots. Average weight: 3.1 lbs./pair.

they are pretty good in weather to the mid to low 30's, but for snow i prefer the insulation i have in the setters.
 http://www.cabelas.com/product/Keen-Ketchum-Hiker-Boots/1381113.uts?productVariantId=3151968&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03435484&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA &mr:trackingCode=FAC54B46-B1D2-E111-8DC4-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=31358518991&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=57898461071&gclid=CIbu4I7Sg7kCFStxQgodE2sAGg

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
Keen! thier hikers and winter boots are becoming my favorites. I love danners and have 3 pairs of setters. But for the last 4 years i have been wearing shoes, hikes, and boots by keen. they are made in the usa, thier keen dry waterproof is really good, and thier are incredibly tough. i mean its almost shocking how durable they are and how long they last. also the most comfortable shoes and boots i have ever worn. definetly worth checking out.

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Danner.
Just bought my 4th pair, 1st was about 15 years ago and only that first pair has finally worn out. I love the Pronghorns, have 1 pair of the Jackal's (not as durable but great for mild weather silent stalking. The latest (American made Ridgemaster) are not completely broke in but so far I love them. They are very similar to the second generation of Pronghorn's in construction.
Anyway, Danner.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
I've tried Asolo and zamberlan.

Right now I have the asolo powermatics & they are great. I wanted to give kenetrek and crispi a shot but couldn't find any to try on yet. I hear great things about them though

Offline groundhawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
I would like to know where [what stores] you guys are finding the high end boots. I would want to try on a pair before I shell out big bucks. I've been to Gander and Bass Pro and everything is from China.

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
I bought the American made Danner's from Sportsman's Warehouse. I see they are online too but I try and buy from locals when at all possible.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
groundhawg, Rei, cabelas, or most hiking stores will carry the high end hikers like keen, asolo, lowa, etc. online zappos has a great return policy (my daughter showed me this site as she buys alot of shoes there).

Offline groundhawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks, there's a new Cabelas in Columbus, guess I need to make a trip.

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
I have had Chippewa, Danner, Red Wing, Asolo, Rocky, Browning, Meindl.  I have used some of them in Ak, MN, CO, and ND.

Currently very satisfied with Perfekt Hikers by Meindl. If I were buying today I would be looking hard at Asolo and Meindls.

I should mention I have poor arches so boot selection for Mtn hunting is critical for me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©