3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hardest obstacle to overcome  (Read 937 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Hardest obstacle to overcome
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
What has been the hardest obstacle you have had to overcome in your shooting? I feel my form is good and consistent but I have major trouble picking a spot.  I will shoot draw  and release and be way off and I know I never even focused on anything but an 18" target no a specific spot on that target.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hardest obstacle to overcome
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Target panic was the worst.  Because of my brain telling me to "release" I couldn't shoot consistently at all.  One minute I am shooting puff balls off of dandelions and the next, I release at about 20" of draw.  I tried everything I could think of and that I read about.

Finally I switched to left handed shooting (last fall), and although I am still learning, it is amazing how consistently I can now draw, stretch out, hold to actually aim, then release.  The accuracy is good and I believe will get better and better.  

I am having fun shooting again and  "I"  am controlling the shot.

ChuckC

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
Holding too long, waiting for the shot to "materialize"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Target panic for me too...it can really mess with ya.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
I have trouble trying to look at a spot and hit it. I cannot visualize the flight of the arrow and  I'm way too inconsistent. I've tried many different shooting styles, as we all have I'm sure. I finally found a style that is working for me. What a journey!

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Picking a spot on larger targets is the hardest for me.  I tend to shoot for specific spots when stumping and do a lot of small game hunting.  The psychological aspect of isolating a small aiming point on deer/hogs really takes a lot of concentration for me.  It's the part of archery that feels least natural.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Target panic for sure, and always double guessing myself
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
ChuckC, I did the very same thing as you--switched to left handed shooting to deal with horrible target panic.  It was miraculous!  But, I am left eye dominant so it was a pretty easy transition as far as getting a much better sight picture.  But while I don't want to be a party pooper, I need to warn you that whatever caused you to develop TP in the first place can raise its ugly head again and give it to you on the left side (and how would I know that???)  :knothead:  .  So what you need to do is read Jay Kidwell's book "Traditional Archery Insights" and begin now to use his methods to vaccinate yourself against another episode of TP.  He has some great insights--he is a psychologist and understands TP from the psychological perspective--it is a mental issue.  Since you have already demonstrated a predisposition to get TP (as I also have), you want to develop a system to prevent it.  Some lucky guys never seem to have a problem with it and can't comprehend what we deal with. How nice it would be!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
You name it I've had a problem with it haha.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
David.  I have read some of his stuff, and others.  I am working very diligently on a form that includes several defined steps, including getting it all the way back, anchoring, seeking the target (but not UNTIL then), stretching out and finally, after all that, releasing.  I also play with holding longer on some occasions just to make ME control the shot and not my brain.

With luck, it will work for a while yet.

Downside. .  not only am I divesting of all my righty bows (already sold a few), but now I am using full length arrows pulling a solid 30" instead of easily using 28" arrows. .  meaning all new arrows too.

Acolins. . .  might try training. .  every time you see a mounted deer (or other game), or a picture, look at it, then pick a spot and "aim". .  no bow, no gun, just center in, every time.  Get used to always centering in and picking a defined spot or hair and it may help you when it is actually time to do this.

ChuckC

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I consistently battle my form.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks Chuck I will try that.

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
I hate tuning.  It literally takes me months.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
In my fourth month of shooting.  Already starting to wonder if things ever really get better.  It does play with my mind.

But all it really takes is just one shot that feels really good from pull to release and watching the arrow travel straight to the spot and I get excited again.
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Target panic. And, the lack of confidence you develop because of it.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
i think the biggest hang up for me was "becoming
" an instinctive shooter. switching up on yardage between 15 - 35 yards and back to 20 then 28 yards without consciously using a gap was the toughest thing for me, and still screws me up if i don't practice accordingly.... you have no idea how tempting it has been to just set a 20 yard site pin on my bow for a reference....

but.... that just changes the whole game once you bring site pins back into the sport.... i just can't get myself to go back to that.....practice practice... and more practice. then it "Becomes instinctive"

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Solid bow arm for consistent follow through.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I'm happy with my form. Accuracy inside 18 yards is pretty consistent on anything made of foam or hay. All bets are off when my target is alive. TonyZ.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Without a doubt my biggest challenge was( and still is at times) shooting the target and not the arrow.
If my mind is solely focused and consumed by nothing but the spot to be hit, im in the goodies from 0 to 25 all day long from any position, be it kneeling, sitting, bending at the waist, ETC. but with the first thought or glance of the arrow, im doomed.

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
I would have to say my biggest challenge was learning to use back tension properly.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©