3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie suit review  (Read 673 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie suit review
« on: September 04, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
I was thinking about a ghillie but didn't want the full length version because I heard it snagged things while walking and the high price tag.  I went to Rancho Safari's website and saw they had a Short Jacket version for $69.  I couldn't find a sponsor that sold this model so I ordered it direct.  The website didn't have a real good picture so I thought I'd post some, along with my thoughts, in case anyone else was considering buying one.

It seems that this jacket is only available  in 4 season ultralite version, which was fine by me.  I received the package and it came rolled up.  I was instantly impressed with the quality as it had buckles to keep it rolled and a handy shoulder strap for packing in.

Note: This was my first attempt at re-rolling the suit and it wasn't as tight and neat as I received it.  I did better later.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie suit review
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
I got the longcoat and leggings, just like that..it works!!!!! Fun killin em from the ground, fo sho!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Well come on model it so we can see it better!  :saywhat:  

Brent

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
I hope so Brad.  I was suprised to see no mention of you using yours while hunting speed goats.  Did you try?

The jacket has a DEEP hood attached. (I can pull it over my head to my chin, the kids make believe I'm a monster, my wife says I look like a Muppet chicken)  It has full length zipper, draw strings at the hood mid-section and waist, and access slots for getting to your inside pockets.  The suit was built on a nice heavy mesh frame and used proprietary camo pattern strips of about 6-8" long that dangle well below the waistline.  Unlike the vest version this has long sleeves with velcro cuffs and a compression strap on the left arm around the bicep (There's one on the right arm for you goofy shooters) I suppose to help with use of a bow, but I found trimming was definitely needed anyway.  

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
Everyone that has posted about their ghillie has mentioned that they need to be trimmed on their bow arm and chest.  I haven't found the chest area to be a problem yet (maybe I need to workout more) but the bow arm definitely needed trimming.  Something I also found was that the cuff area on my bow arm needed trimming as the strips blocked my view of my target.  I used an armguard on the forearm and trimmed the inside bicep area.  I'll insert some more pics here later as I realize some of the pics didn't make it onto my thumb drive.  The strips aren't burlap, at least not any burlap I know of.  It seems like the same material light mesh early season camo is made of, or bug suits.  It does stink though, not sure if that's the mesh foundation material or the dyes.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
I took mine to wyomin,but didn't use it...Did kill my Iowa doe with it last winter though! I trimmed the chest a little, the bow arm a bit more, and a wee bit over the eyes, but not too much! Mine stunk when new, most of that has gone now....go out back, and hang it from the basketball goal, or a tree...I did that inside out, so it wouldn't fade too bad from the sun.
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
The main reason I bought this jacket instead of making my own was that I wanted something cool (as in not hot) and couldn't find a suitable base jacket to use to build on that was breathable enough.  I thought of a bug suit but couldn't find one cheaper than the finished product.  I also looked for mesh jackets but apparently they aren't fashionable enough to be on the market.  I could have found some mesh material and made my own but if you have seen my other thread time has been a premium lately.  Having said all that the jacket is still a bit warm.  Sitting in it on an evening with temps in the low 70's was comfortable until I started shooting a lot.  It's still not bad and lets in a lot of air.  I could see wearing a tank top and camo pants and being fairly cool.  On cold days it would just add insulation.  

As I mentioned, the hood is deep, almost too deep.  If I could use a billed hat I could keep it out of my face but my anchor point is too high.  I found I could use the draw string to help keep the hood tight in the middle of my head with the help of an inverted ballcap.  It cuts down your peripheral vision a bit but I could get used to it.  

All-in-all I'm pleased with it and plan on using it opening day and on the float trip.  I like the idea of roaming and hunting where ever I find looks nice without lugging around a stand and this promises to fill that need.  I still use stands but think this will be a good addition to my bag of tricks.   I'll post more pics this evening.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
I got the full face mask and boonie hat with mine, which work great. The day I killed that doe in Iowa, there was 3-4 inches of snow on the ground with the steady Iowa breeze, temp at 30 deg.....and sweated like a pig! I did hike in more than a mile from the truck though, and mostly uphill sneakin...it'll keep ya warm, fo sho!!! I covered alot of ground fast, as I knew where the deer were holed up, from using the spotting scope at the truck. Came to full draw, while the deer was broadside, looking at me...she stomped once, and never knew what that was that snapped that rib....Can't wait to use it more, this fall!!!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
I plan on using a 3/4 mask you can pull down that I use for turkey hunting.  I wanted the hood because it seemed to breakup the head/shoulder outline better.  Hmmm, I'll need to start thinking about a ghillie backquiver design now.

Here's your thread of that hunt Brad for anyone who missed it:   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=040602

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Do you have anymore pictures? I would appreciate seeing them. I am currently trying to deceide which ghille suit to buy. Any advice??

Bill

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jwilliam:
Do you have anymore pictures? I would appreciate seeing them. I am currently trying to deceide which ghille suit to buy. Any advice??

Bill
Rancho Safari, Lightweight material models!!!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
Talondale...I have an old broadhead hip quiver that worked pretty well...I slid it around behind me. I think any of the cat quiver models would be awesome as well...I personally would like the smallest one, for hunting around home, no need for the bigger packs!

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Talon,
I've used that Rancho short jacket model for a few years now, with a Rancho Boonie hat and a modified face mask built in.  I also have the pants setup w/ suspenders to hold the whole business up.  I think my unit is scent lock too. It's a great system, although as I age I find myself vereing over to the plaid shirt crowd, getting away from camo altogether.

The ghillie suit is tops for camo, but you'll still betray yourself when movement occurs.  Practice sitting still and moving in a painstakingly slow manner.

Important thing is have fun out there.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
I built a jacket from a kit that included the net and jute, I provided the BDU. It took me several hours longer to assemble that what they said  it should and mine is uncomfortable if the weathers too warm. After a little trimming of the bow arm jute I pulled a panty hose leg over it to hold the rest of the jute against my arm. The chest hasn't been a problem yet.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Ok, I'm back with more pics.  Here's Dad modeling the suit.

Here is another "interior" shot.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Here's a shot of the back.

A view down the arm.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!!! That helps out alot.

Bill

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
Goodness gracious Chuck, I didn't recognize you in that picture.....

Thanks for the review.  I was given a big, long, burlap string version a few years ago.  I have only carried it/worn it for turkey hunting.  It retains a bad burlap odor regardless of my cleaning efforts, so I have not taken it out for deer hunting.  I am intrigued by the idea though and have been eyeing the short, light coat that you have.  I appreciate you sharing your impressions and your photos.

Good luck with yours this fall.  I hope you have some fun times while wearing it on ground level hunts.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
I had a buck antelope follow me this evening, and everytime I looked back he was closer.  While I was walking a mule deer doe right by me, the lope was getting closer.  Last time I saw him, when I slipped through a wall of willows....he was 30 yards away from me.  He was a nice buck, too back I didn't have a lope tag.  I also had a moose climb out of the river to have a better look at the walking willow.

I was wearing a guillie. Pretty cool.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Iron Bull made a beleiver outta me with his & Charlies pics last year.

I just finished building my first yesterday, got the hat to go. I hope to use it calling predators in close enough for the bow.

I'll post a pic when I get it on photobucket.

Terry, do you have to walk really slow? Sounds like a Camera would be the bomb with a guillie.

this is one large duck decoy bag, 4 balls of yarn, and one burlap bag.
I have enough yarn & burlap to do the boonie hat when it gets here. Biggest expence was the decoy bag at 18.95

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©