3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bunny Hunt!! (JLMBH 2014)) .....video page 33!!!  (Read 10064 times)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bunny Hunt!! (JLMBH 2014)) .....video page 33!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
I have it on the calendar.   :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
Bump for a great time and cause.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »
Barring playoff basketball game I am in!!!!!! May even be bringing Hunter too!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
David, whatever ya do you have to make it my friend!! We miss ya!! OOOOOHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
For sure!!!!

I'll be glad to see my BH bow (still at your house) get passed on to the next generation.......
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
I am planning on it Shawn......out of the blue last week Hunter actually brought it up, saying he wanted to hunt bunnies again and hoped he wasn't busy that weekend!!!  QWould love to bring him again!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Well, if you insist!  :)  It would be awesome if I could get a kid or two to come along. I'm sure Tyler, Jen, or Jeff would love it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Just let me know when the warm ups are. I need all the practice I can get.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by IndianaBowman:
Well, if you insist!   :)   It would be awesome if I could get a kid or two to come along. I'm sure Tyler, Jen, or Jeff would love it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Just let me know when the warm ups are. I need all the practice I can get.
Your fresh outa kids man, yours are all adults now.   :bigsmyl:

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
"Warm-ups"! Yea, Right! Last year on the opener of deer season I was looking at a rabbit near target #8 (near my place) and day dreaming about the next JLMBH when a nice buck walked right up on me!  :eek:  Busted for sleeping with my eyes open!  :dunno:  Oh Well......

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
I'd really like to join everyone for this hunt!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
As I said all our welcome, we like to have enough young ones to do a seperate youth hunt. We have a couple pieces that I take several adults and we hunt from around 930 til 1130, we eat and than we hunt til dark as a group. If the little ones cannot go on the adult hunt we have plenty to do at the house and Cindy, Allison and Heather watch them while we are out hunting!! I have a new area as well, so plenty of cover to put 100 guys through. Maybe Curt can post a snippet from the video we did a few years back. Bill Langer actually got 7 kills on camera, which is amazing considering the type of hunting. This is not for the weak at heart, we get cut-up and bleeding pretty good. Brush pants are a must and leather gloves help a lot. Even a small pair of pruners come in handy to cut a quick shooting lane or to help get out of the multi-flora rose. Ya must wear a piece of orange clothing and no points with sharp edges are allowed. I find blunts or a hex head work best, judos are a no-no as they snag on too much stuff when trying to get a shot thru this brutal cover. I will give a little teaser, I have a beautiful 63' Bear Grizzly(dogleg) that will be just one of the bows in the raffle!! Shawn
Shawn

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Just a few pics from last years small gathering

the Hunt Master himself!!

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Not sure if you can get the full effect, but that thick stuff behind everyone is where the bunnies live......And that's the LIGHT cover!!!  :scared:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
I'm in.. Looking forward to this..

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
In addition to the brush pants and gloves, I like a pair of safety glasses. Even the thorns have thorns

Offline Tim Kosteczko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »
Dad and I are in

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
Glen, good idea!!! Tim and Gary are regulars and they get to a warm up or two. Looking good so far! OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Not to hijack your thread Shawn, but I want to let all these NYers know about OxTAR this weekend. See Trad Events for more details.

Can't wait for this bunny hunt! Gonna need some new brush pants for this. Or possibly a suit of armor. I have rarely seen rabbitat like Shawn has. If you are  a pusher, and aren't bleeding, you're doing it wrong.   :biglaugh:
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Here's a little history of the hunt that I wrote up a few years ago.

“Bunny, bunny!” Shawn Leonard let’s out the tell tale cry after “jumping” a large multiflora rose brush pile and sending the cottontail rabbit fleeing.  The “bunny” cry continues down the line of traditional bowhunters until the bunny either gets away or the jubilant cry of “I got him” rings out.  

The above scenario repeats itself dozens of times over the course of the annual Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt (JLMBH) weekend held in late February.  2009 marked the 7th consecutive year Shawn and his family have hosted the event. 2009 had 87 traditional bowhunters participating from 6 states including 19 youth bowhunters. The event is now carried out as a benefit hunt for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The hunt is announced via the online chat group of TradGang.com and attendees must be TradGang registered.

The bunny hunt did not begin as the Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt, in fact it wasn’t until the 3rd year that it gained its name. It actually began due to the unfortunate luck of Curt Cabrera, one of the inaugural hunters. Don Haines of Western New York had been hosting a bunny hunt and Curt and Shawn had attended and were looking forward to attending again in 2003. However, a stray rifle bullet by a young hunter pierced Curt’s upper leg incapacitating him for quite some time. He just couldn’t make the bunny hunt and was feeling dejected. His good friend Shawn simply said, “we’ll just hold our own when you’re ready”! It took virtually all year for Curt to heal, but the first annual Northern New York bunny hunt was scheduled for the last weekend of the season. Word was spread via TradGang and 17 hard core traditionalist showed up for the event. As part of the requirement for attending, Shawn asked for people to bring a gift to be given away to the successful shooter who challenged the “steel rabbit”. The “steel rabbit” is exactly as it sounds. It is a hole cut in ¼” steel and confident archers are sat down on a bale of hay at about 15 yards and asked to shoot through the hole and pop a balloon. Pop the balloon and you win! Miss and you get a shattered arrow!  The people who showed up the first year brought such nice stuff that Shawn’s mother, Joan, said “you can’t give that nice stuff away for shooting through a hole”.  Shawn agreed and a raffle was set up. The traditional archers also thought the stuff was nice and $350 - $400 was raised from the raffle. Shawn didn’t know what to do with the money, as the hunt was not held for profit, but his mother Joan didn’t hesitate and simply said “give it to the kids at St. Jude”.  The first year was such a fun time and success Shawn and his family decided to host it again in 2004. In 2004 more traditional archers showed up and even more money was raised, over $1,100.  Plans were being made by Shawn for 2005 when tragedy struck and Shawn’s mother passed away. Not to be deterred by misfortune, Shawn, his father Alfred (Jake), his wife Cindy, and his daughters Nicole, Allison, and Heather all vowed to continue the bunny hunt tradition.  There was a significant change for 2005. The hunt would now be held in tribute to his mother and would from that point forward be known as the Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt (JLMBH). The JLMBH would continue to be held as a St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital benefit event.

The 2005 hunt was a huge success as was the 2006, 2007, and 2008.  The 2009 hunt was the biggest ever and the traditional archers rose over $5,300 for St. Jude.  The total contribution to St. Jude has exceeded $10,000!  Not bad for a bunch of traditional archers who are just looking for any reason to get together for fun and hunting.

The JLMBH is a pretty special event and some amazing friendships have been forged by the annual hunt. What makes it even more stunning is that Shawn hosts the event out of his personal home and at considerable personal expense.  We all know this wouldn’t even be a possibility if it weren’t for a very understanding wife and family.  Shawn’s wife Cindy and his daughters are remarkable! They work tirelessly for weeks prior to the hunt and during the 3 day event (Friday evening until Sunday evening) they are non-stop in setting up and taking down food for the army of hunters.  The JLMBH has gotten so large now that it takes a lot of extra hands just to make the event run smoothly. Fortunately, there is a core group of hunters that willingly jump in and help (Curt, Jamie, Izzy, David, and many more).  To make the event even more memorable is that the rabbit hunting is excellent! The hearty hunters have braved temperatures well below zero, snow so deep you sometimes had to crawl, rain, wind, and briar thickets so dense that you can fall down and not hit the ground. As Shawn likes to say, “after a good rabbit push, if you ain’t bleeding you ain’t hunting right”! Despite all these obstacles the JLMBH archers have been able to continuously improve on their take of rabbits. The first year 2 rabbits succumbed to well placed arrows and the tally has continued to grow with 19 being made into meat in 2009. Not bad for a bunch of yahoos running around with nothing more than a stickbow and arrows.

Who knows how this hunt will evolve in the future. It is getting so big that some things will inevitably change. Right now it is open to anyone who wants to come. Based on the recent growth and success it is just a matter of time before it outgrows Shawn’s house, hunting grounds, and his family’s ability to support it.  However, for now 2010 is being planned and Shawn, Cindy, their daughters and a few good men are already working to hold the JLMBH to benefit “the kids at St. Jude”.   I’m sure Joan Leonard looks down on her family during that special weekend in February and feels a great sense of pride!

Shawn, well done my friend, well done!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©