3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bunny Hunt!! (JLMBH 2014)) .....video page 33!!!  (Read 10056 times)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bunny Hunt!! (JLMBH 2014)) .....video page 33!!!
« Reply #440 on: February 16, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
OK.  I'll grant that maybe it was your bunny that did the screaming.

I had been pushing so hard by then I was in my "happy place" and may have been confused in my delirium.  

Believe it or not I even hallucinated men flying and catching bunnies by hand and later Sweet and Sour Alligator for supper, so obviously I was unreliable by then.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #441 on: February 17, 2014, 06:57:00 AM »
As usual Shawn, Cindy, and his two daughters went above and beyond in hosting the JLMBH. Thank you Leonard Family!

It was a great day with lots of fun, food, and friends.

I'll just share a couple pictures and thoughts.

This is my daughter Jen, flanked by two active duty military Infantry from Fort Drum. They chose to spend a coveted 4 day leave and travel down to bunny hunt with us. All of my traditional brothers made me proud and them welcome. They had a fantastic time and McKay, who is a newly converted hunter said he could like doing this. Jared is (was) a compound hunter and he left with a much better appreciation for traditional archery.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #442 on: February 17, 2014, 07:00:00 AM »
As has been duly noted above, the snow was a bit deep. Here's a photo of two troopers. My daughter Jen in front showing the snow depth and Jamie's son Jase fighting through the snow like he did all day on Saturday. Never a complaint from either. Jase is a hunting and fishing fool. That kid does not even have an inkling of what the word "quit" means.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #443 on: February 17, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »

This is Jen with a tag teamed rabbit the she and Greg K managed to coral. Jen slowed it down with an arrow shot to the rear end and Greg finished it off with a well placed blow with his bow. So, it really was killed with a "bow" and "arrow".

This is the Duck Dynasty rabbit killer himself.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #444 on: February 17, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »

I did not raise any dumb kids. That's Jen in the back of the snow line. It is MUCH easier walking at the end of the line with a packed trail instead of being in front breaking trail.  That figure way out front is Jared, the military guy. He had boundless energy and enthusiasm.

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Great pics Terryy, sorry we missed you Jen and the soldiers.  Matt and I didn't make it until 2 am.  I also want to say that one of the soldiers used Hope.  So that was pretty cool.  I a sure he enjoyed her.
Pete
peter Osimanti

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #446 on: February 17, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
Now that I have a chance to relay my thoughts,

I cannot thank Cindy and Shawn enough,  this hunt was much needed medicine for the soul.  You guys are incredible hosts and I am blessed to have been invited again this year.

I did not take any pictures because I am lazy.  In counter for that I asked to push every hunt,  I feel as if I let you all down because I only lost about a pint of blood.  I still had most color and was still standing at the end of the hunt so I hadn't lost enough.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #447 on: February 17, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
It's ok Charlie. Tim (I think that was his name. I suck with names) lost enough for all of us. That guy must be part beagle. Hardcore.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
I was fortunate enough to witness the first 4 rabbits to be killed.  This year was different in the fact that the drivers had more opportunities than the posters.

The rabbits sat tight in their tunnels and when flushed, couldn't move fast through the snow.  Usually they would quickly dive into other tunnels.

I was able to flush 8 rabbits this year. That is down from my usual 18-20.

The first one to be killed was by Shawn, as noted earlier he made a well placed shot and I had the honors of carrying it back to the house.

Then Came Izzy's rabbit.  Here is a guy who tells us to get ready, he is going to flush a bunny to us.

So Shawn, Charlie and I get ready.  Izzy jumps on the brush pile and sends the rabbit the other way.  Without hesitation, Izzy does some balancing Matrix move and centers the rabbit with an arrow as its bounding away.

I think he had it all planned just to show off. I mean why else would he kick the rabbit out the wrong side of the bush   :dunno:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #449 on: February 17, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Later on, after lunch we hit the airport hedge row.

A rabbit was exiting the drivers to the back.  A quick, 15 yard shot resulted in me losing an arrow, It was close enough to turn the rabbit back to a brush pike for Charlie to poke with his arrow.  That rabbit was eventually sent to pot with a well placed arrow.  My not so well place arrow became misplaced.   :banghead:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #450 on: February 17, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Further up teh fence row, another rabbit came running toward me, Both Greg and Sean had touched this rabbit with their arrows.  I promptly missed a 2 yard shot.  The brush had lifted my arrow off the rest and I shot over as I swung the bow down.  

With one well placed jump, I was able to catch the rabbit and Greg took a quick hand off to the dispatch it quickly.  It had a broken leg and I am happy it wasn't left to suffer its fate with the cold and coyotes.

After the Island of trees, I was able to keep all my arrows in my quiver,  Its seems in years past I always dropped a few in there.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #451 on: February 17, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
During the Rabbit Valley Drive, I fell into a sink hole that was 5 feet deep and completely covered by snow.  The snow was 3 feet deep and I was literally standing in a hole looking up at the light.

That incident scared me pretty good   :scared:   , Imagine taking a step and having no ground below you.  Luckily for me, the bottom was flat and I wasn't hurt.  David took a pic of the hole after I was able to climb out, hopefully he will post the pic.

Shawn, if you see, this, its in the clearing and you should mark that hole,  It could be dangerous.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #452 on: February 17, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Charlie,one minute you were there , and then you were gone!

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #453 on: February 17, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks to Shawn and Cindy for opening up your home to an army of wet hunters. Thanks for the help of your family also.

The young hunters on this hunt were just awesome. They plowed through snow all day long and finished strong. The snow was up to my knees all day long. That was waist level for some. Great kids.

My son won a very nice pair of binoculars in the raffle donated by Shawn. This year I was of the fortunate fathers to hunt with their kids

A super day with some great people.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #454 on: February 18, 2014, 04:50:00 AM »
I like to thank all for the stories of the hunt. Being a old fart of 73 and with COPD I sure no longer can hunt in the cold. But after hearing your tales of the hunt sure wish I could have been there with you.

My best to all and my thanks.

I was also shooting 3D in the warmer weather of Myrtle beach SC at sand dune archers, we had about 75 attend the shoot of 30 3D targets, weather was in the mid 50's and sunny with no wind. The 3D did not move, non did we find any snow holes, but the fellowship of the bow was there.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #455 on: February 18, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
As always, we all had a blast! Hugs and kisses to Shawn and family... Maybe someone can post a picture of the Attacking Tree Rat that tried to bite my head off! ...  :scared:  ... Greg saved my life when he body slammed the fellow...  :rolleyes:  ... It's True!

... mike ...  :D  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline homer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #456 on: February 18, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Very  glad that Pete and I made the trip Saturday night I think the best moment on Sunday was hearing everyone scream and we found out that Mikey shot a squirrel I believe that's the first one ever during the rabbit hunt
Work is for people who don't know how to hunt.  People who don't know how to hunt, don't eat well.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #457 on: February 18, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
Thanks to Shawn, Cindy and everyone else who helped make this happen again.

It was a blast, as always. On the first push, we had 2 waves of pushers. I was in the second wave and about half way through a rabbit double backed through the ranks. It was headed right for Jan and myself. We both shot, I missed, we are pretty sure she clipped it. As it sped by, I tomahawked it with my bow. That slowed him down enough that I could run and dive onto him.

If you look close you can see my limb tip covered in bunny hair!

Shortly later, Guru and I were in the middle of the thicket and had a bunny come right back at us. It need up behind us and just loping along in the deep snow, I took about a 20 yard shot and thought I was low, but the bunny slowed as more shots were taken and finally charlie grabbed it. I went back to find my arrow and there was blood at the shot and hair on my arrow. I had broken his upper front leg. 4 years of bunny hunting and this was the first good shot I have ever put on one.

2 Bunnies and a little blood loss later

My favorite part of the day was hunting with my little buddy Jace. I have done a lot of fishing with him and his father, Ishiwannabe. He is almost alway more hardcore than ether of us. Saturday was my first experience hunting with him. It was a tough day by anyones standards, but this kid would not quit. This is us on stand during the "island of trees" push. We covered 3 miles or more of snow this deep. He powered through.

That night the food and raffle were great. Just sitting down in a warm place, in dry clothes was amazing too.

My buddy and I went back to the hotel that night and realized we had 2 rabbits to clean! Lots of newspaper and plastic bags, turned the bathroom into a perfect place. LOL

More on day 2 and Mikey's narrow escape from and attacking squirrel later!

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #458 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Your friend is one hard working hunter Greg. He was all shredded up!. I bet the hotel owner doesn't want to see that photo

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #459 on: February 18, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Awesome pic of your son and you together Glen. Thats what its all about. I had a good time sitting with you fellas and Noah is planning on them meeting some ladies in Manhattan.

What was your friends name again Greg? He is a good dude and for sure a hard charger.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©