3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What classic Bear bows are your favorite?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What classic Bear bows are your favorite?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Here is one of the unsung favorites of mine:

tiger-cat

><>>
Glenn

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
1.  1962 Kodiak

2.   1969 Super Kodiak

3.    1959 Kodiak Special

Old Fred had his stuff together in the late 50's and Early 60's.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
Charlie,

Are you sure that first pic is a '61 Kodiak?
Lon Scott

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
64 kodiak, one day I will own a type 1 b riser though
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Obviously, there are as many favorite vintage Bear bows as there are archers, hands and fingers. We often have our favorites for our own reasons.

That said, it's the "sleeper" Bears that should garner the most interest. Sure, we all know about the 1959 Kodiak, the 1962 Kodiak and '64 Kodiak. And in no way am I diminishing those bows, for they are highly desired classics for a reason, that being fantastic bows of any era and never going out of date and they shoot as well or better than any bows made today.

However, for the casual "collecter" who may not want to spend top dollar for a certain top dollar "year model" yet wants a great bow, there are some incredible vintage Bear bows that never got the limelight they deserve(d).

The great thing about collecting vintage Bear bows is that you can put the bows into a historical context, by year. They are hand held time machines you can still shoot daily and effectively hunt with, for years and years.

I may be showing my age, but I'm a huge Beatles fan and often compartmentize things by album era, and thus the creative vibe of the era and creative context of any given era. I also understand that the years of Bear bows don't correlate with my Beatle analogy years.

(I hope I'm not losing some here, but trust me on this.)

So if any of this makes sense, the bows you want to watch out for are as follows...

The 1954-57 Grizzly, 1956-57 Kodiak and 1956-57 Kodiak Special are like the "Hard Day's Night" to "Help!" era of the Beatles. Super great shooters, classic lines, yet more plain jane'ers, for lack of a better term.

Then things changed in 1958. 1958 was the "Rubber Soul" year for Bear bows. The '58 Kodiak, Grizzly and Kodiak Special are all-star bows. Anyone who shoots vintage bows should look to any of the mentioned '58's because they are spectacular in performance, yet mildly subdued in appearance at the same time. One could argue that the '58 Kodiak would be among the most desired vintage Kodiaks, but for the white glass.  

Then of course came 1959, which in rock and roll terms was like the Beatles coming out with "Revolver".
Virtually everything changed.  

The '59 Kodiak is known to all, but what less people know about is the '59 Grizzly, which is as fantastic of a bow that one will ever put their hands upon. (Same with 1960). The '59-'60 Grizzly is 62" of prefection.

Of course, then there is the 1959 Kodiak Special. One could also make the case, as I do regardless of length, that this was the finest bow to be boxed up and shipped from Grayling.

The '61-'62 Kodiaks are great, as many know, but for me they start stacking at 29".

But then comes the "Sgt. Pepper" era, that being the 1962 Kodiak Special, '62 Grizzly and '63 Kodiak and Grizzly. But for cosmetic issues, these bows are also arguably the best to come out of Graying.

If you want to listen along, here's the theme song of the '63 Kodiak...

The '62 Kodiak Special is an incredible shooter, fits the hand better than most any bow ever made, but the sea foam green glass spooks most hunters. The '62 Grizzly is, in my opinion, the best Grizzly ever made, but the white glass bothers some, if not most hunters. Finally, the 1963 Kodiak may be the best shooting 60" Kodiak ever made, but some are spooked by the design and fear that the bow may blow up.

Lastly, the 1967.5-1970 Super Kodiaks are the "White Album-Abbey Road" bows. By this point, the Kodiak Specials were not desired and the shorter. more plain Grizzly's, in my opinion, were a shadow of their past bows. Of course, many love this era of Grizzly bows.

I hope this helps if you you are trying to decide on a certain era of vintage Bear bows.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Igor,

I agree with you 100% !  I've got a '69 Tiger Cat and its my favorite Bear...one of my favorite bows period. It feels good in my hand, shoots where I point it, and its whisper quiet.

I've got a friend getting into traditional archery and I let him shoot it and he fell in love. I wouldn't price it to him but his girlfriend came and talked to me and I let her talk me out of it for him for his birthday present.

So my Tiger Cat will be gone in two weeks. I'm gonna miss it but for a good friend I don't care to let it go. Although I am gonna screw with him and tell him its on its way to Michigan or something next time he comes by to shoot it this weekend lol. It'll be a good joke and surprise.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
My vote goes to the 59 and 60 Grizzlies and to the 57 Kodiak Special.

God bless, Steve

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
I have a 1966 kodiak that my dad gave me.  Smooth shooter puts the arrow where I point it.  Love that bow.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
I have a 63 Grizzly that is a Great Shooter and it shoots with The best of them!!  Shawn
Shawn

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
For one reason or another I love most of the Bear bows made during the MI era.
My prefered for romance and flexibility are the Type 1-2 TDs,with the Super kodiak very close being stable and faster shooters than the TDs. But when I hunt I like to use some aftermarket limbs that really make the things different.
I like also the 59-60 and 62 for their timeless design and also if they are decent performers they can't be comparable with the top Customs carring the skinny ff strings,also if we all know that at hunting distances there are more important factors than the mere speed.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
Mojo, Great Post! HAHA.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
1962 Kodiak Magnum is my favorite so far.  It's super quiet and spits an arrow out with an old b-50 endless string.  

I've also got a 1971 Super Kodiak that's a smooth shooter and just finished restoring a 1957 64" Kodiak that I'm just getting to know.

Still looking for a 1959 Kodiak and one of the old wood handle takedowns for a reasonable price(I know, this is the needle in the haystack).
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
Thanks to all. I'm enjoying all your opinions and learning a ton!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
I started Bowhunting in 1968. We didn't have the resources we have today in regard to archery and there weren't many other archers around, at least if you didn't know them personally you wouldn't know they were out there.

I lived  by "The Archer's Bible". It was about the only real resource for good information. Also Fred Bear was on the American Sportsman, which also fired me up.

I just picked up some '59 Kodiaks and a '59 Kodiak Special. I have been a longbow shooter for a long time, but I intend on doing nothing but some retro Fred Bear spot and stalk hunting this year with one of the '59s. I also have a '57 64" Kodiak.

One of my favorites is the '67.5 Super Kodiak. I couldn't afford a Super Kodiak back then and settled for Kodiak Magnum. I just had a bunch of Super Ks from '67.5 to '69. Every once in a while I feel guilty having all these bows and sell them. Then I kick myself, because after I sell them I no longer have the bow or the money! That is what I did with my Super Ks.

I have the 1959 catalog and if you look at the profile of the bow, the limbs look almost like a semi static recurve, similar to Ben Graham's Hummingbird bows. They are great performers. The '59 feels just right in my hands.  

I would like to get a '60 Kodiak next to give it a try. I would also like to get a type one B riser takedown but I could never afford one of them even today.

A friend sold me a '59 Kodiak 64" 65# in pristine original condition. He got it from the original owner that must have been over bowed and put it in a sleeve on a rack for many years. I will have to post pictures of this one, because I never saw one in this type of original condition.

I had a '62 and it seems in 1962 Bear used beautiful woods in their riser. My '62 had Brazilian Rosewood and was one of the nicest piece of woods on a bow riser I have seen.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
This is a great idea for a thread. Wow. There are some wonderful bows that have been mentioned so far.  Love them all. Old Bears are great. I have narrowed down my modest collection to Bear TDs but I really admire all classic Bears.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Oldschool,
I was hoping someone enjoyed it.   ;)  

When you line up the old Bears by year, you can see how they really changed with each year or two.

Some years had their own, unique character that is identifiable from the moment you see them and will likely never be duplicated, like a '62 Kodiak Special or the '63 doglegs. Is anybody ever going to make a bow with sea foam green glass again? Highly doubtful.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Have around 200 Bear bows so its hard to pick a favorite. Just like them all.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Of all my Bears ?????

1964 Kodiak 60" - 48#
1967 1/2 SK  64" - 45#
1959 Kodiak  60" - 48#

Just what shoots best for me.

doug77

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
I don't have a lot of knowledge about the classics but I love to shoot my 75 Kodiak Hunter - it just 'feels right' to me.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
I've shot pretty much every Bear Kodiak model ever made 1950-1966.... hard to chose just one...

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©