3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mental Block?  (Read 290 times)

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Mental Block?
« on: August 15, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
Tonight I decided to take out some arrows and shoot different broadheads to find out what head shoots best for me. 3 of the heads were screwed on to identical arrow shafts, one was glued on to a Sitka spruce arrow.

First arrow, the spruce with a 175 grain Grizzly head total arrow weight 530 grains could not hit my Glen Del Buck target at 20 yards. Either missing low left or too low all together.

Second arrow with another 175 Grizzly screwed into a 35/55 carbon shoots well BUT my fletching does not match the RW head and results in the poorest penetration of all the arrows that hit my target.

Third arrow was tipped with a 200 grain Muzzy Phantom without the bleeder blades. This shot so so.

The forth arrow had a 100 grain Magnus 2 blade that never hit the target.

So after getting frustrated and breaking the spruce shaft and loosing the head and drastically bending the Magnus to where it is un-shootable, because my yard is nothing but rock, I'm still baffled as to what head I want to shoot when my season opens in several weeks.

I also want to add that it seems that whenever a broadhead is on the end of my arrows I can't shoot to save my life. It must be a mental block.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mental Block?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Broadheads throw me for a loop the first time I shoot them in the fall. My advice would be to shoot at 10 yards until you are comfortable, then draw and let down several times at 20 before shooting at that distance. Then just be sure to shoot them consistently until season opener.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©