3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow string help  (Read 271 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow string help
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
I am wanting to start building string for my own bows, I would like to know a few things from the veterans.  Since i am just starting, what would be the best type(continuous, endless, flemish, FF, etc.) to learn first?  I am also going to try to build my jig.

I would like to know what type of string do i need to buy?  Where you think is the best to buy it? and what lb(??) string you buy.  
When i looked at string material it showed 1/8, 1/4, 1 lb?  what should i get and what does this mean?

Thank you in advance!  

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow string help
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Download a Flemish jig pattern and make your own. 1/8 1/4  ect is the weight of the roll of string. I would buy b50 for practicing the other types are pretty expensive to be practicing and b50 makes good string too just more stretch than the others.

Cory

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Yep, a 1/8# spool of B50 or B500 or whatever it's called these days will give you plenty to work with and an economical start.

Invest in a good video to shorten the learning curve. "Doing the Twist" is a good one.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
So if i could only buy one, which should i buy? (1/8 or 1/4).  For some reason there is a roll of B50 1/4 already at my house, is this fine to start with?  

Cory, is there anyway to reduce string stretch? and will it continue to stretch or will it eventually stop?  

thank you for your replies,
Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
The 1/4# spool will be fine to start with. The material itself will eventually settle down and should stop stretching. A lot depends on how the string is built.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
I haven't seen the 1/8 lb. B50, only 1/4 lb. Could someone send me a PM or sponsor link?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©