3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: chiggar relief  (Read 735 times)

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: chiggar relief
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Pour gas on legs and set fire.  :)  
I am glad they don't not effect me.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
Germtrol was available when I was a kid & took the itch right out. Check online maybe?

Last year & early this year I used Permythrin with outstanding results! The past month (same 30 oz bottle) I've seen ticks walk right over saturated areas around my cuffs & legs as well as arms. Yesterday had an attached blood sucker on my knee. That was after douching with permythrin beforehand. Not a tick or redbug fan either! Ideas?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
Try the bleach bath.  It does not take alot of bleach.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
chigger at the store helps

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Moonshine works just fine just drink a whole mason jar full and ya won't even feel the little boogers bite   :laughing:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
If I know I've gotten in them I get in the shower, have a bottle with 30/70 bleach and water, spray down, rub it all over and wait a couple minutes. Never even knew they where on me. Bites never developed.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
Be careful. I wound up in the emergency room from blood poisoning from them when I got them real bad in the late 60s.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
The worst thing about CHIGGERS   :scared:  still active) THE ITCH that  :laughing:   keeps on giving!!!!
There are parts of my state that I will not hunt till after a hard frost because of chiggers
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
White stick deodorant!!

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
In the past i've had chiggers by the hundreds a number of times. To the point of having a fever from them. They are mites. Under a magnifying glass the look just like tiny ticks. The best thing to rid yourself of them is head lice shampoo. Buy as much as you can and soak in it. They'll be gone in 2 to 3 days.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
They bore under your skin & stay for a while. A few will even crawl out & bore back a day after you got in to them leaving another red itching mark.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Myth they do not bore  into your skin.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
I live in the chigger infested Pine Lands of NJ. I have a farm with 36 acres of chigger infested woods. I have had more ticks and chiggers in me than I could ever count. I don't understand why I have never been diagnosed with Lymes disease. My hunting partner has had four bouts of it.

I am actually starting to build up an immunity to the chigger bites and they don't bother me as much as they used to. I used to have an allergic reaction and the bites lasted for 6 months.

It is probably too late, but don't scratch them and put on Chigarid.

Since I know, if you are like me you scratched them and opened them up, get Chigarid and put it on each bite. It is the only thing I have found to relieve the annoying itching and burning.

You can get Chigarid in most chain pharmacy stores. I am looking at a bottle as we speak, since I have an archery range in the chigger infested woods and just got infested again like you.

Good luck, Chigarid all the way!

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline 89redtruck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
I have lived in chigger & tick infested areas all my life.  I've been outside all seasons and have had more bites than I care to remember.  What has worked the best for me is to take a large handful of baking soda and add it to a bathtub of water – take a bath.  It kills all the ticks and chiggers and they don’t itch nearly as badly.  Try it, it works!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
My wife gets chiggers bad sometimes and swears by the "bleachy bath" to combat the itch  - smells like a swimming pool in the house when she is done.  I don't get them as bad, generally - I prefer the dig 'em till they bleed routine.  Benadryl will help if it doesn't put you to sleep.  All of the topicals I've seen for itch/bug bites/chiggers in the pharmacy are the same active ingredient as Benadryl (diphenhydramine).  Be aware that if you take Benadryl or generic diphenhydramine and use the topical as well that you are increasing the dose - don't exceed the max dosage by accident by using different formulations.

I looked into the chigger thing a while back - the information I read about them debunked the "burrow in and live under the skin" idea - the information said that by the time you know you've been bitten the chigger has fed and left you ..... but there may be many more still crawling around that haven't bitten yet.  Thus washing up right away is a good idea - it will kill/remove the active ones before they bite.  Other than that it is itch control and healing.

R

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »
My wife's grandmother told me to take a warm bath and then rub (fat back) salted pork on the infested areas and they would go away. I did and it worked, It is worth a try.LCH

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
Just looked at the container....its called Chiggerex plus.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
We were always told that the chiggers burrowed into your skin and were still alive.  
I recently read on the internet that here in the U.S. we don't have any chiggers that are supposed to get humans, so they die as soon as they "bite" you.  
Their saliva in the open wound is what's itching you now.  I use lotion, but it doesn't help much.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
Are the main ingredients in Chiggarid sulfur and  benzocaine? I had some in the 1980s.

Online Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Chiggerex plus works pretty good. I found it at Walmart.   Good luck
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©