3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting draw weight  (Read 765 times)

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting draw weight
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mojostick:
Trumpkin,
I realize single bevels are all the fad now, but having used low weight bows, used single and double bevel heads (both shaving sharp) and killed lots of deer, the double bevels out perform single bevels so much that I'll never use them again. For low weight bows, a Stinger or Silver Flame seems to perform the best. I assume Werewolf double bevels would be great too. I lost deer due to getting sucked into the single bevel fad and getting like 4" of penetration on broadside shots a Stinger would passthru, with 40lbs. Just my two cents.
Mojo, you are the only person I have ever heard to say that. The long, lean style that seems inextricably tied to a single bevel head, has always been renowned for penetration. I would be willing to bet that other circumstances played a role besides the single beveled broadhead.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I would say that what Moj does with the double bevel works for him and what he does with the single bevel was either a singular event or something went wrong with the set up. I have seen incredible kills with single bevels and bows under 40 pounds, but then I have seen the same success with 2 blade Zwickey Eskimos. I think more deer have been lost because of bad hits with a bow that was too heavy for the shooter than bad performance due to too light of a bow. One of the common mistakes I see goes like this.  The arrow flies loggy and the shooter is struggling. I point it out and the answer is, "I have to get it all the way back is all then the arrow will fly just right." The problem started at the archery shop where they checked the draw and the archer pulls 'em up tight and stretches for an extra long draw and the dealer makes up his arrows to match. Then when aiming, shooting downward out of tree stand, and a good case a buck fever kicks in, that draw shrinks the bow gets real stiff and draw gets real short. That all adds up to a weakly shot arrow that does not fly, is off target and does not penetrate. Byron F warns of the short draw when hunting by advising archers to get bows to anticipate this shorter hunting shot draw.  I believe it important to anticipate the short draw when setting up ones hunting arrows as well.

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
50# here its all I ever used even back when I hunted with a compound.  In my own opinion it comes down to shot placement and your state game laws.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
All my bows are in the 45#-52# at my draw (29" longbow and 30" recurve)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
It was actually one of the best broadhead makers in the country that used the word "fad" in a phone conversation, concerning single bevels.
But to each his own.

Offline topGUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
All my bows are between 46lb-53lb at my 26" draw.
52" Kodiak Magnum
54" Don Dow Stik
62" Mohawk
56" Kanati
58" JT Traditions Apollo 2

Online bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
50 here, but my hunting bows are in the mid 50's.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
I believe if you poll shop owners, they sell more 40-50 lb bows than all of the other weights combined.  I realize this doesn't answer the question asked but I do think it tells you something.  Especially when the most popular species hunted are deer.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
The emphasis on only draw weight is somewhat misplaced.  I have had bows of 45# that shot the same arrow faster than a similar bow of 50#.  Bow design and performance have to be taken into account as I think we all know.  There are big differences between bows.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
My go-to bow pulls 51 @ 28 and its tuned with it's wood arrows.   It will get the job done if I pick my shots and choose my shooting angle... EASILY!   Bows of my youth had training wheels and were in the 80+ range... The point is, whatever you choose, have it tuned and pick your shot distance and angle ethically.   Through your practice sessions you will know what you can or can't do.   God bless all!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
I agree with David, if draw poundage is in question, a lot can be gained by going to a faster bow. I have a Grooves recurve that is only in the mid 40s at my draw that will shoot the same arrow faster than most Hill style bows 10 pounds stiffer and it will shoot them well. So if some one is using a 47 pound longbow that shoots a 440 grain arrow at known speed, math has it that a fast 37 pound recurve that shoots the same arrow just as fast, the recurve has a chance of having more power, since the draw length may be longer with the recurve as well.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
The lightest I have used is 45#. My preference is 65#, but following an injury that has not completely healed, I am currently shooting a 55# bow (actually a bit less since I don't draw 28").
Sam

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
50 - 53#

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
All the bows in my signature drawn to 29".
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 05:29:00 AM »
I agree with David,my 49# CariBow shoots harder than other bows I have owned that were 8 to 10 pounds heavier.I shoot 700 grain arrows and shoot out to 20 yards.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
One thing I didn't add in the single bevel/double bevel conversation is, from all my testing and live game experience with low poundage bows, I believe it is the razor sharp tip point of the double bevel that seems to make the big difference, when shooting low weight draws.

While single bevels may be great with bows 50lbs to the 60-80lb bows tested on African game or USA game with high weights, with 40lbs, the duller point of most single bevels cut about well as a blunt hammer head.

Now, perhaps a single bevel with a razor sharp tip may work as well, but keep in mind that the KE of low weight bows have little to give up, before performance really suffers.

I also found that a 3 blade, even a razor sharp point like a NAP Razor Cap, had poor penetration compared to double bevels. Granted, I killed deer with the Razor Cap, but the head just went into the center of the heart/chest (on small, young fawn deer with antlerless tags-and zero passthru shots), where Stingers, Phat Heads and Silver Flames have all skipped away with easy passthru shots.

Again, just my experience with 60 some bows in the low weight range and several 100 kills.

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:

Originally posted by Mojostick:
Trumpkin,
I realize single bevels are all the fad now, but having used low weight bows, used single and double bevel heads (both shaving sharp) and killed lots of deer, the double bevels out perform single bevels so much that I'll never use them again. For low weight bows, a Stinger or Silver Flame seems to perform the best. I assume Werewolf double bevels would be great too. I lost deer due to getting sucked into the single bevel fad and getting like 4" of penetration on broadside shots a Stinger would passthru, with 40lbs. Just my two cents.
Mojo, you are the only person I have ever heard to say that. The long, lean style that seems inextricably tied to a single bevel head, has always been renowned for penetration. I would be willing to bet that other circumstances played a role besides the single beveled broadhead. [/b]
Dr. Ashby found that if you use a single bevel with the opposite rotating feathers, then you get worse penetration than you would with a double bevel head.

He has tested a 40# recurve on water buffalo and achieved consistent lethal penetration.

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
When all one gets is pass throughs on whitetails it is hard to know which one out penetrated the other. I switched to Hill left wings to match left wing feathers, but we never lost a deer that we hit with them crossed with the the fletch either. I am certain that one would see the difference on a tougher animal. We do get our tanto tips super sharp, but I think the big one is to get your arrows flying perfectly straight. If one is using a light bow, a sloppy flying arrow will show up real quick in loss of penetration.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I've tested myself and I've had long conversations with one of the top broadhead makers in the USA. Again, the term "fad" came from the broadhead designer, not me.
Dr. Ashby has a line of fine, expensive high end heads being promoted and sold and I wish his brand and his business partners well. I only throw out my own experience, and frankly all the other experiences I've heard of for low weights, for the low poundage deer hunter to chew on.
When Magnus comes out with the single bevel Stinger, I will be happy to test it.
If one wants to try a certain head with a 35lb bow vs other tried and true heads, I wish them nothing but the best of luck. Just make sure the point is razor sharp.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Pavan,

I have OCD. LOL My arrows fly straighter that 99.9% of other archers.

I never got a passthru on a whitetail with a single bevel and those I know who tried the same, single bevel with around 40lbs, had the same results.

I think the key is draw weights. If drawing 50 plus on deer, 2, 3 or 4 blade don't matter much. If drawing 70-100lbs, single may do great.

If drawing 35-40? There's no room for a blunt chisel tipped single blade to take away KE.

And if anyone shooting 35-40 has a great tanto tip single bevel story, I'd love to hear it.

I may be wrong, but some may be making their judgements by reading about rather than seeing with their own eyes.   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©