3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AD's cutting nock end  (Read 253 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
AD's cutting nock end
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
I have a couple AD's with small cracks at the nock end of the shaft. I want to cut them down to put them back in service.  These are real small cracks that make the nock loose, but they don’t go very far down at all.  I want to try and cut them about ¾” or maybe 1”.  I have extra shaft length to do that.  I just don’t want to cut them down too far so the nocks don’t fit.  

If I can’t cut them down that far, I may try a sleeve and glue in nock adaptor to reinforce them.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: AD's cutting nock end
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I have wrapped a few with super glue gel and that flat braided fishing line...don't know what its called now...that was years ago.

Once I went to the nock insets and Z nocks...I haven't cracked any.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
I always use G-bushings in my AD's,I feel that helps to strength the nock end.How far up are they cracked? For me if not too far I would use a nock adapter or G-bushing and put a collar or sleeve on the ends to reinforce the nock end.If cracked too far up,they are probably done for.I don't think cutting them up some will help,the nocks,nock adapter or G-bushing won't fit in there or too loose if a fit.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
One has a little crack about 1/4" max.  The other is more of a little crack about the same with a little flake of outside shaft layer.  I only noticed because the nock was starting to turn a little and feather alignment was changing.  So I checked and found the nocks were a little loose and then found the crack when I flexed on the nock in the shaft.

How tight do the collars fit on the shafts?  Are they real snug?  I want to make sure the nocks are straight when done.  If they fit snug I think I could just put collars on them.   I had some with the G-nock adapters and didn’t like the g-nock, but I would  consider the glue on nock adapter.  

I have had this type thing with GT trads and just cut them down and they are good to go.  I have also sleeved them with aluminum arrow shaft when they are as short as they can go already, but that is not such a tight fit.  You get a little play between shaft and sleeve so when all glued up they are not always perfectly straight.  They are okay for stumps.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline tree dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
Talked to the factory last week.
I was  told you can't cut  more than 1/4 in before you ger into the taper.
Real nice guy to  talk to.
George

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the info George.  I may have to look at collars rather than cutting.  I don't think I want to cut that little for fear they will just crack more.  I would want to cut well past an obvious crack.  

So anyone have info on how tight the collars fit?

Offline longbowbryan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Not sure about the AD's but I had some carbon arrows that were cracked and the nocks would pop loose when I shot. I added a nock collar (aluminum shaft) and the nocks are tight now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©