3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back from Hanna WY from hunting with Tracy Villwok and Randy Burtis! Pics included.  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
From the end of one hunting season to the start of a new seems to take an eternity. But as always it seems it is upon me and I am scrambling to get things ready. Always something to get in the way of preparing for the trips planned. Like 4 weeks of working on my house to get it show room perfect to sell. Splitting up what you worked so hard for in a divorce that seems no matter how you split it seems unfair to one or the other. House sold in 5 days for full asking price, agreement made between both of us and thank god no kids are involved. I was ready to spend a few days with Tracy Villwok and Randy Burtis over some prime antelope watering holes!

My plan was to head out from Cody no later than 2pm. But with meeting the appraiser and a whole bunch of other business I hit the road at 3:30 pm. I pulled anchor on the Dodge pickup and we set out to cross the sage brush sea to Hanna Wyoming a little over 5 hours’ drive.  I was looking forward to the drive it would take me to parts of Wyoming that I have never seen before. Once I got out of Riverton it was all new scenery. It’s amazing how big this state is and how little development very barren desolate country. But that’s what I like about it most. I followed the Continental Dived and the broke east passing through little towns that must have provided resting spots to travelers before the interstates came to be. They are all but dried up no longer provide an oasis for fuel, food and sleep.

I made it in to Hanna just before 9pm. Tracy had a Bison roast in the slow cooker so we ate a late dinner and then began some beer drinking and B.S. sessions till we looked at the time and it was midnight. We headed off to bed for our 5 hour nap.
Morning came and we had some coffee and gathered our gear and headed out in Tracy’s truck. It was getting light but Tracy said the antelope were moving after the sun was up a while. We passed a nice buck headed up to the water hole. We parked grabbed our bows and packs hiked to the set up. Tracy has two blinds over a little spring he has a stake at it marking 15 yards. It is a very nice setup providing both hunters great opportunity to shoot or watch the shot play out. Very exciting to say the least!
Tracy placed me in the blind he felt would give me the better advantage. He said according to the trail cam they seemed to stay towards that side. So we both settled in for the wait. I got my bow and an arrow lined up set up my stool and began glassing. I got through scanning the area and I was just falling in to the mind drift mode when I heard something. I looked up just in time to see a nice buck step up to the spring. I was like wow it’s only been 20 minutes! Tracy wanted me to shoot first and we both decided shoot whatever buck comes in. This buck was not bad and he was nice and relaxed drinking from the hole. Tracy built some nice blinds plenty of room and tall enough for the longest of bows.

Once I knew I was going to shoot auto pilot took over. I had my bow in my hand knocked my arrow and began setting myself up. I had a bad season last year and never even had a chance to draw my bow on an animal. But it has been 13 months since I had Rod Jenkins first coach me and with him out this July he fine-tuned a few no no’s I was doing like a head bob I was not even really aware of.  With hundreds of hours of drills on the blind bag I was ready to put his teachings to work. I immediately knew my shoulders needed to be shifted to square up the shot so I shifted positions on the stool. I placed my tab on the string slid to the knock point. Forked the riser with my bow arm and set it with a low shoulder. The rotational draw snapped into place with a solid anchor. All that was left was to aim while the subconscious did rest. Once I was happy with what I was seeing back muscles went to work and I was at conclusion. I saw my bright fletching hit true and I knew he would not go far. Tracy had his head out the window and we were both excited. He said he never seen him he just herd the whack looked up and seen him running.

We both got out of our blinds and started looking for the buck. He was about 65 yards away and it only took a few before he was dead.  We shook hands and congrats and got some pictures. I shot a single blade broadhead and it centered a rib about 3 inches down from the back. It blew through the rib and never exited but it sure tore up the lungs! We butchered the buck at Tracy’s house and had him in the freezer by 11 am. We then head back out so Tracy could hunt for his buck.

We had switched blinds now and we were settled in and it was only noon. It was getting a little warmer but a nice breeze was blowing so I decided it was nap time. It was a little after one when I woke and I started looking for antelope. Finally I seen a buck coming in but seemed to get nervous and started wheezing he hung around a bit and then left. I got a picture of him on the hillside. Then around two o’clock a buck steps up to the water hole and starts drinking. I can see Tracy through the window of his blind and I can see he is looking down. He does not see the buck and he is just drinking away. I even made a squeak to get Tracy’s attention but the only one who heard it was the buck. He was looking at my blind and then would drink and look at my blind. Tracy is still looking down I found out later he was deleting stuff of his phone. Finally he looks up and I see his eyes get big. I am going to stop at this point because Tracy has a special story about this buck.

Randy Burtis showed up Thursday night and we shot bows and told stories till about ten. We then headed off to sleep.
Randy and I hunted together Friday morning he took the blind I had the day before. I had a doe tag too fill and Randy a buck tag. We had three bucks wanting in one a real nice one but they did not like something and started wheezing. Tracy thinks they were smelling blood I think he is correct. So they left the area. I was beginning to think I may not see a doe and was thinking about yesterday and how everything took place. Then things started changing quickly.

A lone doe came in very quickly from the other side of my blind. So quick Randy said he seen her coming and he had no time to get his camera rolling to film for he was in fear she may see him move. As I picked up my bow it ticked on the hog wire in the blind and she heard it. I could not move and after what seemed like forever she started to drink. It was dead still out so every time I moved she may have heard something and she would look up at the blind. I really figured she would bolt at any minute but I managed to get my arrow knocked without her leaving. I was in a bad spot position wise and really had to contort myself to get my shoulder pointing were they needed to be. I did not have a shot because she was quartering in so all I could do was wait it out. She finally decided to leave and as she left she made a bad choice. She stopped at about 22 yards to look back and she turned broadside and slightly quartered away.

Again all of Rod’s teachings and my drills came in to play. Before I knew it I was at full draw. She was a little on the spooky side so I held a longer to make sure she was settled in. Once I knew she was relaxed I came to conclusion. She never even flinched till the arrow was up to the bright fletching but then she came unglued. She took of past Randy and disappeared. We stuck our heads out of the blind and I told Randy it was a good hit. He said he figured she was dead on her feet because he could hear her running away and that she turned and started coming back towards the blind.

We got out of the blinds and headed up so we could see out across the grass for any signs of her. Randy was looking for a head up when he spotted her flat on the ground about 50 yards out. We walked up and the story that it read us was that the single bevel head really did a job. I found my arrow in the trail and we got some pictures and I loaded her up. Randy and I said our good byes shook hands and I wished him luck.
I made quick work of cutting her up loaded the truck and set out to get back home it was before noon. This was great time with the very best people you can be with.

I thank Tracy, Randy and Rod Jenkins. You guys mean a lot to me. Thanks Rod for the coaching and I love my string that matches my arrows its way cool! I hope you all enjoy and pay no attention to the bad grammar you will enjoy it better if you don’t LOL

So if this may be sign of good things to come. Elk and deer 2 weeks away!

Thanks Scott  

Round One              

Round Three

Busted!

Just in case Tracy never saw him.

Round Three

Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
Congratulations!  Sounds like a great hunt.  Good luck on the deer & elk.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Like Scott said, I do have a special story about this buck. He is one of the smallest bucks I have killed, but probably the most special.

Just this year, the Wyoming Game and Fish Dept changed the wording in the archery rules making using a stone point to hunt big game with legal. I have seen plenty plenty of posts here on TG of guys making quick humane kills with stone points, so I wanted to try.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Way to go, Scott!

Can't wait to hear the rest of the stories!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
I did some trading with a fellow TG member, and got me some stone points. I don't know how to knap, so I thought this was the best way to get some hunt ready heads.

My life had been just like Scott's the last few months, divorce, moving, and such. I was scrambling the last few days before season to get stuff ready at the last minute.

I had the stone point mounted and glued in, with it perfectly straight, and spinning perfect the night before season. I was wrapping it with sinew the next moring in the blind when I heard Scott shoot his buck. Darn, I missed that, but did get to see it fall.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
We took the quick half hour trip back to my place to cut Scott's buck up and get it in the freezer. We then headed right back to the blinds.

Action was real slow for the first couple hours. I wanted to nap, but knew them antelope can sneek right on in. I had been looking non-stop out of every little hole in the blind hoping to see something coming.

I had just checked around everywhere, and not seeing anything, I started deleting a bunch of old texts and stuff from my phone. I happen to look up, and there was a buck right there offering himself to me at 13 yards. Crap! I don't even have my shooting glove on!

I get my glove on, and grab the obsidian tipped arrow. This is perfect I thought, nice and close. I nocked the arrow, came to full draw, picked a spot on the quartering away buck, and let the arrow go.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great Story Scott!

Nice animals and good shooting.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Good story Tracy!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
The arrow hit with a loud crack, sinking in only half way up the shaft. The buck only took about three steps and stopped. Blood was pouring out, and I knew it was a good hit, until he turned a bit and I saw the shot was a bit high and forward.

The went down, then got back up, then took a couple slow steps, then went down again. I could see from the blind he was not dead yet, and I couldn't get another shot at him, even though he was just a few yards away.

I wanted to get out of the blind, but was worried he may get up and run. His head was down a lot, but he would lift it quick and was very alert every time I tried to slip out.

I decided to let him be and let the razor sharp obsidan point do it's job. Minutes later it was over. He only went about 15 yards.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Scott posted a pic of me and my buck above. I am just thrilled with killing it with a stone head. Great feeling!

Thank you Scott and Randy for coming and hunting with me. You are great guys and always welcome in my antelope camp.

Randy, your up next. Lets see that buck of yours.

Good shooting guys!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm very familiar with that country, very. Lived in Rock River for a time and worked in the area for twelve years. Spent many days wandering around with a bow or a gun....dang it, wish I was there now.
      Nice goats, congratulations.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
I did a hunt like that last year and man I am ready to go back!!! Thanks for bringing back the memories.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Great stories that for sharing your hunts with us.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
To me those goats are the prettiest dang animals.  Congrats thanks for sharing!

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice going guys, can't wait for Randy's story!

I've never been to the Hanna area but have eaten a ton of antelope from there. Had a neighbor back in MO 20+ years ago who went out there every year. He loved to chase goats but didn't like eating them and I couldn't afford to go out. Every year I'd buy his two or three tags, he'd give us the meat and we were both tickled.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks guys. I just rough scored him and it looks like with deductions and being conservative he will score around 71". I just may have my first Pope and Young entry. Randy looked him over and he thinks i am on with my measurements. I have dreamed of entering an animal I Pope and Young since I was a kid. I always thought it would be a whitetail. Now I just need a book elk this year! I have a killer whitetail tag also so maybe it can be 3 for 3. Lets see! Thanks again Tracy.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

That's cool!

I want to go after a speed goat one of these days. It is up pretty high on my bucket list.

Congrats to you guys!

Bisch

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow! Congrats fellas!!!!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
NICE job, Tracy!
MOLON LABE