3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some coaching  (Read 538 times)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some coaching
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
I think we probably all agree that those arrows are not properly tuned to your bow. Having said that, I can take GT1535s and GT5575s - one too weak and one too stiff and shoot them at 20 yds. If I don't intentionally correct for the known mismatch, I will get two groups. One will be on the too weak side and one will be on the too stiff side. But, there will be two groups - not sprayed all over the target. I think that video will point out some form errors which, once corrected, will make tuning the bow/arrow combination much easier.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Dan,  As far as the closest "instructor" being a Level 1 you might want to pass on that.  I teach many L 1 instructors BUT they are VERY entry level.  The L1 is really for younger kids (15 or older) that are going to be "summer camp" archery instructors.  Many Level 2 instructors (18 or older) have a good working knowledge, but they too, are really entry level.  They have a better exposure to teaching archery but that class is really the first one where the new "instructor" gets a first exposure to the NTS.

Like I say, many L 2 instructors are very good with a lot of experience but that might take some "shopping" to find the right one.

IF you can, try to hold out for a L3 or higher.  At the L3 and higher levels they are also getting a good dose of working with individuals rather than the "group" approach for the L1 & 2s.  Per USA Archery, they aren't "coaches" until L3 or higher.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I'll add this:

Originally posted by dan d:

Anyways, she is a level one coach, is that all I need for hunting ? I don't see me going to the olympics anytime soon !
But I see there are 5 levels so it makes me wonder if level 1 is enough.

Terry Green says it best!!  Form is form, how you use it ( STYLE) is individual.  Just going to a trained NTS coach will help with your form.  Bone on bone alignment, back tension, etc.  Then, once you are getting that, whether you hunt and shoot from "hunting condition" stances or shoot target is just how you USE your form.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Arne !

Both your posts clarified a lot for me, I will go back to that website & look for a level 3 or higher. I saw there were quite a few within a 4 hour round trip.

I might of found a few more oddball low 50 spine arrows to try out. They do paper tune a lot better than the ones in the 60 spine range did. I googled a few more links on paper tuning & most of them say to be at 6 feet ?

I must admit this post is taking me to the next level of just flinging arrows. I'm learning a lot here.

Thanks !
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Don, Shawn is very good at putting spine to arrow to bow, I have followed his suggestions here on TradGang in helping others with arrow flight problems. Take his advice when it comes to arrow setup. I’m a carbon arrow shooter and have not ventured into wood arrows yet.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Traditional-Archer:
Don, Shawn is very good at putting spine to arrow to bow, I have followed his suggestions here on TradGang in helping others with arrow flight problems. Take his advice when it comes to arrow setup. I’m a carbon arrow shooter and have not ventured into wood arrows yet.
I just followed his advice & ordered 6,  50-54 spine arrows, I am shooting the lone 52 spine I found quite well ! I was getting a headache studying them spine charts !  

Thanks for the advice everyone !
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©