3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow measurement  (Read 244 times)

Offline Doods70

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow measurement
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Hi gang,

Just need advice on how to measure a Bamboo bow I am making. Is it from tip to tip? At rest or when the string is on?

Also, will it be same whether its a longbow or recurve?

Lastly, when I order the string, will it be 4 inches less from the measurement I had just taken?

Thank you so much on your expert advice.

Doods

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow measurement
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
Tip to tip gives you actual length. String length is determined by what length gives you your correct brace height. Bows are labeled AMO (archery manufacturer organization) length and it is this amo length minus 3 inches for string length to give correct brace.

Are you using a tillering string? If so that will give you proper string length when correct brace height is obtained.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow measurement
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
Measure from string groove to string groove on the back side of the bow and following the contours of the limb.  Like katman said, subtracting 3" should get you close, and then twist up or down as needed to find your best brace height.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©