3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opening weekend Deer and Elk  (Read 783 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Opening weekend Deer and Elk
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
This year I have had a good hunting camp with several family members and a few new friends. It's been nice this year to have two other stick bow shooters in camp and not be the only traditionalist. One being one of my nephews Cody which has been a ball getting him set up and teaching him this past year. The food has been good and the camp fire stories have been tall. With several young hunters in camp and stories of holding out for the big one I could tell it was  weighing on some of them. That night I made a statement that I would take the first legal buck I had a good shot on.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opening weekend Deer and Elk
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
im listening...
is it September yet??

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
Opening morning I set up a tree stands in one of my favorite funnels. It's a spot that they don't come through early but year after year I always see good deer and elk come through it to a bedding ground. By 9:00 am I had only seen one doe and fawn and a few other hunters. Then I seen a small bachelor herd of 5 bucks coming into bow range. There was a couple of 3x3's a 3x2 a 2x2 and a spike. No monsters in the bunch but they were headed right for me. When one of the 3x3's presented a shot I let the arrow loose to it's mark. He made it made it 60 yards down the steep ridge.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Awesome job Jimmy!! Congrats!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
On day two it started off with me helping one of my nephews on a blood trail. When we were finishing up the blood trail I thought I could hear some elk hooves clicking on a small ridge above us. Instantly the still hunter in me kicked in and slowly made my way up the ridge. There was lots of fresh green elk droppings and the wind was good. I wasn't seeing anything but I kept with a slow sneak up the ridge to a edge of a meadow. Then I caught some movement to my left and could see a lone cow. This unit is a "Spike" unit which means you my only harvest spike bulls and cows on it. She was making her way in my direction so I held still. I didn't have time to get to cover so I held still and was hoping for the best. She feed up to about 20 yards but was still behind cover. then her head came through an opening about 15 yards away. I was hoping she would take a couple more steps. Finally after what seemed like an hour she took those steps. When her head was behind a small aspen tree I drew.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Now this is where everything got ugly. As I hit my anchor and was letting the arrow loose she spun on me and I hit her in the hind quarter. My heart sunk to my feet and that sick feeling hit me as she took off through the timber. I can not express how bad I felt and how mad I was at myself. I thought that she wasn't alerted of myself but I had made a big mistake. My nephew and I headed back to the vehicles to get some help and give her the time need to bed up. On the way back we came across a blood trail nearly a 1000 yards from where I had shot her. We flagged it and headed to gather the troops.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
After 6 hours of waiting the afternoon monsoons were starting to build I made the decided  to get on the trail. I would have gave her longer but with the daily rains coming I was nervous. We went back and I started the trail were I had hit her and followed it to where we had flagged the blood trail earlier. I had not found the arrow yet and was hoping it was still in her doing some work. The blood trail had been good to this point but from that point on it faded. After another 400 yards of looking for tracks or anything that had been disturb we found we started to pick up a little blood here and there. This went on for a couple more miles through some nasty thick timber. Each member of the blood trailing party made some key discoveries that helped us find her bedded up. She tried to make one more go of it but I was able to get a second arrow in her to finish her off. I am not proud of what happened but I was happy to see her suffering over. I am glade that I had a heavy arrow and a good broad head that was able to penetrate clear through the femur bone braking the leg and hit some good blood vessels. I hope that I can learn from this and never have this happen again.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
Yeah, but you really hung tough on that blood trail and put her down. Nice work. All's well that ends well...
Pretty good start to this years hunting.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Thanks for posting..and congrats.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
A deer and an elk in two days. That's awesome!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Good job and congratulations!  Way to stick with that cow, she deserved your best effort!     :notworthy:
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Great pics and story, Congrats to a great ending.
Tom

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Great hunting story and effort! Congrats and remember, sometimes things just happen and your perseverance brought a happy ending for all! My hats off to you.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pheonixarcher:
A deer and an elk in two days. That's awesome!
No kidding!

Well done and way to stick with the tracking!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
man i wish we could start hunting in August.  

Great stories and like the determination to find your elk - congrats!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Well done!!!

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Good hunting.  Way to stay on the trail!

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Congrats! Way to stick with the blood trail.  All hunters should have that much perseverance.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©