3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do we really need an expensive broadheads  (Read 1599 times)

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do we really need an expensive broadheads
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
Probably if I got to hunt every week, I would use whatever broadheads would do the job.  Since I only get to hunt once or twice a year, I will use Silver Flames.  Even if I ended up losing 1 or 2 of them a year (which I haven't) it really doesn't amount to that much, spread over time.
in this statement makes sense and common sense
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
I think it is a lot in confidence in your setup. I shoot GK Silverflames. When I first started shooting them I was worried as heck that I might lose one. I do lose one every once in a while.....but not without a good fight on my part to find it.   :thumbsup:  

The GK's are the only "expensive" head I have ever used. I have used a ton of different heads over my lifetime of hunting, and IMHO, there is not a better head out there than the Silverflame. I can also tell you that this no other broadhead that is sharper out of the box. These heads are scary sharp when new.

There are plenty of other heads that will do a fine job, for way less money. There are a few that are pretty much junk.

People ask me all the time if the Silverflames are "worth the money that they cost". I always tell them that to me they are but to you they may not be.

Bisch

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
I also think some of the extra cost is having the broad heads hunting sharp right out of the package. Now you are paying for the sharpping service. I would want at least $5 a broad head if I was going to get them shaving sharp. Some folks just have a hard time with sharpping and I think it is great that they are willing to pay more to hunt with a properly sharpened broad head.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
When I have a Woodsman or an Eskimo on the end of my arrow I have all the confidence I need. Having a Silver Flame may make me think about what is going to happen when I shoot through and hit a rock LOL.

God bless, Steve

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Like Shawn said, those VPA at $15ea. will last a looooong time, I don't think you can hurt them so just don't loose them and your good for a long while.

Eric

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
I've got 90-95 grizzlies I paid 4 bucks a head or less- I think I'm good for life
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
I don't NEED a $50k truck either but I got one
:thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I think one of the most important decisions a person has to make with a broadhead is how easy is it to resharpen. It is really nice to have a head come out of the box scary sharp. but sooner rather than later its going to need to be sharpened. even just pulling in and out of a quiver a dozen times or so will dull them down. among the million other ways they get dull. So whatever broadhead a person chooses they need to have a plan to get them sharp and keep them sharp. Also we should be practicing with the broadheads we are going to hunt with atleast a few dozen shots so good to buy a couple extras for practice and/or know how to resharpen them scary sharp.
I saw those silverflames in person at jays sporting goods here in michigan and i can say they are a awesome broadhead and very sharp. not the broadhead for me and my situations but a wicked broadhead any way you cut it!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
I have a 3 blade vpa that I shot one little 100 pound sow with that is bent.... None of em are indestructible..

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
I really don't mind the sharpening process, its
kind of a labor of love.  I've loaded up with Woodsmans a while ago, and I'm going to use Magnus 2 blades this year as well.  Are there better broadheads out there??  yes, but these are what work for me.  I may try others in the future.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
I was at a midwest hardware/sporting goods store about 20 years ago.  They had some archery stuff from years back. He had file drawer 3/4 full of the smaller Deadheads and a file drawer that was a little more than 3/4 filled with the bigger Deadheads. He complained that he only sold just a few of them and I could have the whole works for $25. Did that make them cheap enough? What irked me, I was on my motor cycle, 500 miles from home and I did not have enough cash on me to buy them. A few months later, I got back to that town the hardware store was gone and no one knew anything about the stock that was left or where the old gentleman, that had owned it for so many years, went.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
By all means buy the more expensive broadheads. Just remember the law of diminishing returns. At a certain point the more expensive broadhead just doesn't give you anymore bang for your buck. You have to decide where that point is for you.

And in some cases, you're paying for the hype instead of the broadhead.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
To me, no, there not worth MY money( not saying the quality doesn't justify the cost) I've never shot anything much over 200 pounds, so that might be different. For deer and hogs, Magnus 1's and Snuffers have never let me down.

Offline Wagstaff

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Shoot what you like, and have confidence in.  However, by no means do you have to feel like you are handicapped, if you use a Zwickey, or similar "old school" head that has stood the test of time.

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
are you hunting whitetail?

or asiatic water buffalo >1500lbs ?

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I have killed big game with Bear Razorheads, Zwickeys, Magnus, you name it. But the extreme high quality are interesting to me. Last year I started using the Tuff Heads from vintage archery. I have never messed with such a precise head. Even though they are of similiar design, they are 10x the quality of any Grizzly head i have used.

Does that quality difference matter? Not to the perfect lung shot big game animal. MIGHT it matter? Hopefully i will never find out.....but i revel in the comfort of knowing that i am using arguably the best head available. And hell, its my money :-)
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Buy what you want and can afford.

For me, a magnus or zwickey will shoot better than I can shoot them and I can't blame a miss or a bad hit on my broadheads.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
No, they aren't needed to kill something but the improvements in quality over the cheapest stuff make it worth the cost of admission to enough folks that they are still being made.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
I'll cut you a check for $30 for the entire lot.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Actually indians dropped the bow in favor of a gun because it was something that was new to them. A gun made it thunder with no clouds in the sky and killed a man at a great distance with an unseen force.To them it was powerfull medicine(magic). Well now we know it wasnt really magic but still today we see advertizments of new fangled broadheads and bows that are said to do great thing, i saw one broadhead comercial on tv where it even showed cavemen killing a T-REX with one of those new broadheads so they must be big magic,lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©