3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do we really need an expensive broadheads  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do we really need an expensive broadheads
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
No, we don't need them to be able to take game, but if you like 'em and can afford 'em, then, by all means, go for it. That wide choice of goodies is part of the fun of bow hunting. Since I can't afford the new advanced heads, I will stay with the tried and true Magnus and Zwickie and not feel under equipped, but I readily admit I would like to give them a try.
Sam

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Here is the funny thing if it was someone like Mickey Lotz asking the question he would say the Zwickey and Snuffers were the expensive ones cause he shoots flint so the answer in defintely no we don't need them but there is alway a butt ya know. We than would all be shooting osage or hickory selfbows, with cane arrows and self nocks and flint heads. It really is not about what ya shoot it is the guys ability to get close and make the shot, Terry, RC, Curt and many others myself included could kill stuff with a simple stick and string with a  whittled hickory branch with a nail stuck in the end. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Most of those big expensive heads are designed for BIG tough animals. If you can swing going to Alaska or Africa for Moose,Grizz,Buff,etc I don't think a couple hundred $$$$ for broadheads is going to sink you.If you can afford them and want to use them squirrel hunting,have at it and be happy. Me,I have SilverFlame dreams on a Snuffer budget!   :D

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
I just don't get the shaving sharp out of the package deal for me. Really don't you test shoot ALL your broadheads before you hunt with them? I guess the old saying a fool and his money are quick parted goes with this thread. JHMO your mileage may vary.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
What does the killing?
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by LC:
I just don't get the shaving sharp out of the package deal for me. Really don't you test shoot ALL your broadheads before you hunt with them? I guess the old saying a fool and his money are quick parted goes with this thread. JHMO your mileage may vary.
I do not know if this is directed toward the claims I made but I can assure you (if it was) my set up is VERY well tuned. I can put just about any 150gr head out there on the end of my arrow and it will fly true and to its mark.....unless I flub something formwise.

I love the fact that my heads are ready to hunt out of the package. I know my heads are going to fly right because I have done a lot of work to get everything right and have been shooting these heads for a long time.

And no, I do not test shoot ALL my broadheads. The GK heads I shoot are top quality and are all the same. I pay a premium for that when I buy them.

Bisch

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
What bothers me about the expensive heads is I am always losing my arrows. Sometimes after passing through an animal. I guess I'm cheap. I just like the zwickeys, grizzlies, and tuskers. I can get them very sharp and I have had great success with them. If I lost a 30 dollar tip and arrow I would probably spend hours looking for it. Gary

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by sagebrush:
What bothers me about the expensive heads is I am always losing my arrows. Sometimes after passing through an animal. I guess I'm cheap. I just like the zwickeys, grizzlies, and tuskers. I can get them very sharp and I have had great success with them. If I lost a 30 dollar tip and arrow I would probably spend hours looking for it. Gary
I have spent a considerable amount of time looking for the few I have lost. Way more time than it took to find the critter!

Bisch

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
Joey gave me a silverflame a few years back. It was so sharp I was afraid of it. I shot a hog down at Marty's camp in south Florida. The arrow zipped thru, then kicked up and went 40 yards beyond and landed in the palmettoes. Marty came to pick me up. I saw the hog go down so we went right to it and loaded it up. It was probably 100 degees and 90% humidity. We'd killed a big  rattlesnake earlier in the day.
We spent some time looking for that $80 arrow and broadhead. After 10 minutes or so Marty realized he'd lost his peepers. We looked for them and the arrow for 10 more minutes. He finally said to heck with it, I have another pair of glasses in my truck, I said we can leave without your glasses but I'm not leaving without that head.
Never used it again.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
I have used some of the more expensive heads ie the VPA 3 blades $15 a head and can honestly say the quality of the heads is truthfully no better then the quality of a Zwickey or the original woodsman. They are a little tougher than the original woodsman because of them being machined from one piece of steel though. However since the prices of the VPA's seems to keep going up (when I first started buying them they were $35 dollars for a 3 pack) and I am on a budget I feel my money is now better spent on heads like Zwickeys where I can pay $30 for 6 heads and honestly they will last me as long as the VPA's have probably.
James Kerr

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
No. For most applications, Ace or similar heads work very well.
Silence is golden.

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Currently I hunt with what I can afford. A used longbow, wood shafts, and Ace broad heads. I can appreciate all of the aspects of high end equipment, from $1200 bows, to $30 broad heads. And if I were a wealthier man, you bet your butt I'd be giving them a try. I love that our free market affords us so many options and price points, and I'm also impressed that guys continue to improve on what's out there, and are able to carve out a living with new products for us to try.
 David.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
I shot a coyote with a Silver flame one time it was pretty impressive.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
For me it's Grizzlys or Zwickeys ....

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Way cheaper to buy meat at the grocery store if money is a big concern. I do this for fun and buy the products that make me happy. I once thought I could make my own bows cheap after spending $1500 on my last custom rig. I was right, I can make em now for about $80. But that first one I built cost north of $5k in power tools.

Bonner

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I'm firmly in the camp of shoot what you like, money is a tool and you sure aren't taking any of it with you when you check out.  Thankful there are more than 3 choices so everyone can be satisfied.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I like that, "money is a tool"....

I try to make responsible decisions regarding my tools, lol...   Just funnin'

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
A lost arrow with broadhead is of no consequence to me when I take a shot at big game.

Sure, I look for the arrow and like to find them. I even backtrack a couple times if the arrow isn't a pass through or still in the animal when I recover it.  The animal/experience is worth far more than the cost of the arrow and broadhead.

I use what I think will be effective for me.

I have Silver Flames that I paid full price for. Great looking head. However, I hunt with a friends broadhead that I didn't pay a dime for.

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Just curious and I have no opinion either way, what are the advantages of a silver flame or a tuffhead to an identically shaped standard head like an Ace or a Zwickey or whatever if they are both equally sharp. I have only ever seen them on the computer. i read that it is a choice made with money, that is fine, but I would like more particulars.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
It would be different if they only disclosed the price after payment was made. Don't want to pay the price...don't buy!

The constant complaining I see about the cost of archery goods gets real old. Don't like what is available or the price of what is available, make them yourself. See how long it takes you. Multiply your hourly pay by that, add materials and see what is too expensive.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©