3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nothing wasted…  (Read 446 times)

Offline lyagooshka

• Trad Bowhunter
Nothing wasted…
« on: August 20, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Here’s the back-story…  I adopted a greyhound after we had to put our dog down.  When I was talking to the person fostering her, he said I can feed her an occasional turkey neck to help keep her teeth clean.  He said as long as it’s from a reliable source and  NOT cooked, dogs have no issues with any bones or animal parts.  I get mine from a turkey farm in 30# boxes and give her (and my other dog) one a week.  No issues.  And since they are from a reputable source and frozen until I thaw them, there are no issues with contamination.

So, that got me wondering.  There have been times when I wound up throwing away game meat that I would not have considered edible, but that seems like a waste now.  So my question is: does anyone make a “doggy bag” after their kill and, if so, how has it worked out?

I hope to have some venison in the freezer this year, so I am thinking of “sharing” with my 4-legged companions.  I’m pretty greedy, so I won’t give ‘em the good stuff, but there’s plenty left that they might like.

Lastly, I have noticed that the pet stores are now selling deer antlers for chew toys.  I never cared about trophies.  So if I ever do get a buck (all of mine have been doe so far), is that an option?

Thanks all.

Be well.

Alex

:shaka:
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nothing wasted…
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
I've done it with my 3 shorthairs for years. Give them some of the heart and see how they act afterwards ... it's like giving them a shot of B-12. Liver is also good, but since I like it, it is usually cooked first.  They are always with me when I am butchering and they get the scraps.  I bone everything out, so they are usually running around the back yard with a femur or tibia/fibia for a couple weeks.
TommyBoy

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
My dog loves to chew on the bases of freshly killed deer antlers. If it's a wall hanger, she doesn't get them but otherwise I don't mind.

She likes to chew on leg bones, neck bones, and stuff as well. I've never thought to freeze the various parts but might going forward. Usually she just eats what she can scrounge while I'm butchering.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Yep do the same with my dog as well, he always sits at my feet while I cut up anything in the kitchen so I give him scraps, but have to watch it and not give him too much or the poor little bugger will just sit there and eat everything I throw down.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
I believe the yuppies call it the BARF diet (Bones And Raw Food).  I hear it's all the rage out in California  :biglaugh:
TommyBoy

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Jake's favorite time of the year. He'll have deer legs stashed all around these woods. I think he may have just run out last month from last year's stash. My buddy run's a hunting camp and always drops Jake off a few carcasses.

I packed him out hams, shoulders and loins off a buck I found in the woods last season. Somebody lost it or left it..about half a day too gone for human consumption so I boned, bagged and froze for him, doled it out along. Raw deer meat is his favorite.

Jake's prize

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
We take parts that we don't eat and cube it up and vacuum seal it then freeze. Every so often get it out and my wife cooks it for them. Also is great when you run out of dog food and cant get to the store until the next day.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Like Tommy said, my dog is right there when I dress my deer and after boning out she gets a little everyday till it's done. Her favorite is when she gets the rib cage!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
My Heelers learn from puppies, that when Angela or I hang something on the gambrel, they're gonna get something good!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
My dogs have always enjoyed deer legs and any scrap meat they can get.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dougbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
I save  the heart, liver, and kidneys for the dogs. They also give them some scrape meat.  I give my dad the lower section of the leg with the hoofs for his dogs to chew on. I would give them to my dogs but my 5 year like to play with them.

Offline longbowbryan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
I made several pounds of ground "trimmings" for our dogs this year. They have seemed to do well with it, so I'll probably take the time to do it again this year.

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 01:33:00 AM »
my buddy is always willing to hang out at the skinning shed he don't even care if i am the one that killed or not   :thumbsup:
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
I usually give my dog the trimmings when i butcher. I didnt think about the heart or liver but i will save them this year. Im sure he will love it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline lyagooshka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Wow!  Thanks all for the info and great pics.  Now all I have to do is actually get one.   :archer:  

Be well,

Alex

:shaka:
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
I give all my dogs the trimming when I cutting up a deer. A few raw pieces but throw most in a big pan and fry it for them and mix with their regular food. My Dad always said you can give dogs any bones that have not been cooked but worried about pork bones ccause they spliter so we stay away from them but everything else they get. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
Yea - Aussie likes his venison.  I save the heart to share with him for a meal and put liver and scraps in the smoker or on the BBQ grill to make jerky for him to eat all year as treats and a little bonus at meal time.  I limit the bones because he will eat the whole leg bone and eventually puke.  I don't think he minds but it sucks to clean it up.

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
My hounds look forward to January.  They always get a good portion of Javelina.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©