3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black widow limbs vs ******** extreme bf limbs  (Read 917 times)

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black widow limbs vs ******** extreme bf limbs
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
What I prefer about the ILF limbs is the adjustability of about 4-5 lbs. depending on the limb and riser. Nice to go from 48#'s to 52#'s come hunting season.
I have a set of Zipper carbon foam and a set      ACS-RC carbon wood, both are phenomenal.
I also like that I can set the tiller at O for split finger, which is where I get virtually no hand shock.
I have two risers and two sets of limbs and when I switch them around I can go as low as 42#'s to 55#'s, about anything I would want to hunt with two bows.
All made in the USA.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I would go with an ILF rig as Mike said you have a ton of options in limbs. I have owned a lot of Widows, at least 15 and although good bows they are not that fast, they are not that quiet but can be made quiet and you will be stuck with Widow limbs. The ILF you can shoot longbow limbs,  recurve limbs, static limbs and target limbs. You will find that even some of the inexpensive limbs will outperform the Widows. I had a set of Sebastian Flute limbs that were $125 new and everything equal they were 11 fps quicker than the Widow MA I had at the time. You can buy a used or new ILF riser and a few sets of brand new ILF limbs for the cost of a new Widow. To me not much of choice on which way to go. Remember Widows are made here but some of the woods and the hardware are not, again not bashing Widows. They have the best customer service out there but you will be limiting yourself so much its not funny!! Oh by the way lots of ILF stuff made right here in the USA as well, Morrison, Dryad(riser and limbs)and even Jim Neaves(Centaur)is making ILF limbs and many others as well!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Apparently I "half to be totally un-american" because I carry a hoyt excel with bmax carbon limbs.

Sorry, I can't afford a widow yet. Until then, should I apply for my green card? Perhaps I can mail it to you can you can decide for me leftyfred.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Those BF Extremes ain't cheap...a set of them and a nice riser will run about the same as a Widow.

Thanks for the different perspective Shawn. All in all, it's too close to deer season to worry much now. We'll see how my PSA and I do in my first trad season and go from there. Shooting it very well by my standards now, so there should be done deer on the ground by early October.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
You can buy a riser and a set of Borders for less than a Widow and I promise you the Borders will flat out smoke a Widow in all aspects. Belcher makes a nice riser and limbs as well and again they are American for the folks that seem to get worry too much and they too will be cheaper than a Widow and again outperform one in every way. Shawn
Shawn

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
I checked out the Borders a bit, they sound interesting. The Hex 6 sounds like an awesome limb.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Right, I still have not heard that Ken Beck gave away any bows from his offer of a couple of years back. I sincerely doubt the Border will outperform a Widow in every way. Please substantiate your claim.  I'm sincerely interested. Actually I've never even heard of a Border Bow?
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
You can buy a riser and a set of Borders for less than a Widow and I promise you the Borders will flat out smoke a Widow in all aspects. Belcher makes a nice riser and limbs as well and again they are American for the folks that seem to get worry too much and they too will be cheaper than a Widow and again outperform one in every way. Shawn
I don't know much about ILF platforms, but I know that everybody who sees me shoot my widow comments on how fast it is.  Pushing a 545 grain arrow (10.28 gpp) at 184 fps is fast enough for me.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Made in Scotland.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
The borders that is.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
What's your draw length Greg?

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
I only pull that thing about 27 inches.  Pulling 53 pounds at that draw.  60" PMA II.
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
I think each individual has to decide for himself what out performs what.  Many great bows out there .  Shooting Widows for half of my 40 years shooting trad. They work for me in all aspects .
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
I only pull that thing about 27 inches.  Pulling 53 pounds at that draw.  60" PMA II.
Same here, a touch over 27". Never shot my PSA through a chrono, shooting a 550 grain arrow myself. Are you shooting a stock string?

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
No, the string is not stock, but it is not particularly skinny either.  A buddy of mine made it for me and frankly I don't remember how many strands it has.
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
I'm probably gonna try a SBD eventually, but I don't want to mess with my tune this near season.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Thanks jkm97, just looked them up. SBD 10 strands for me.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
I hear great things about them.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Black Widow makes one of the more outstanding bows. I have owned a bunch of them and as far as speed, they will hold their own with most. They are very stable and are one of the easiest to tune an arrow to. BW is unbeaten in their customer satisfaction and taking care of any problem that arises.

I will say the same for Mike and the fellows at Dryad. I have one of their Orion ACS recurves and it shoots as hard as any bow I have ever owned. His service is excellent also.

I have no experience with Samick bows. They may be great but I will stay with proven builders here at home. They have earned our business with good products that will last.

As far as ILF, I have no experience with them. The small amount of adjustability would help with arrow  tuning but I still like limbs that bolt down solid. I was told by a well known bow builder that his ILF sales are minimal. This tells me they might not have quite as good resale value.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Borders are faster, no doubt do a search. The Hex 5s and the Hexs 6's are in the top couple in the world, Widows just read their own widow wall and you will see tons of threads on how to quiet them. I agree fast means nothing but guys brought it up. I try to tune my bows to shoot around 190fps. as that is what my minds eye likes. Not getting in a pissing match do the research and you will see. Yes made in Scotland, sorry but all this stuff about buying american is funny, most exotics used in bows does not even grow in this country, The hardware for most is also made out of country. I suppose you think Harley Davidsons and Fords are made in America too, HAHAHA!! They are assembled here buta lot of parts are from overseas. I myself like to spend my hard earned American dollars on quality and wherever that comes from I am glad to buy it. It still is a huge help to our economy and if everyone thought like some guys America would be broke, sorry but just getting the bow here from another country probably keeps several americans in a job. I am done, shoot what ya want but don't be stupid and buy just American or you will hurt a lot of Americans who work at the docks and the airports and tons of other places!! Keep shooting Widows they are a fine bow, but you would be limiting yourself!! OH and by the way I am shooting a Caribow from Abe, that will, well never mind its made in Canada!!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:   Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©