3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To foam or not to foam?  (Read 978 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
To foam or not to foam?
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »

I own several bow quivers some have foam in the hoods while others do not. Normally I prefer having foam in my quiver hood however this fall I will be hunting with my black widow quiver which does not have foam in the hood just a piece of rubber in the very end. I was just wondering how many of you guys actually prefer having the foam? Does it really matter whether you have it or not? I was just wanting some opinions before I throw down some money to buy a yoga block for hood foam for this particular quiver; I'm somewhat torn right now as to whether or not I want to put foam in this quiver. Thanks!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: To foam or not to foam?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
So the gripper would be the only thing holding the arrows??  Me, I'd want the foam as a secondary measure in case a branch or something bumped one of the shafts out of the gripper..can happen and then if no friction from the foam to hold the arrow...arrow falls out, you might not even notice??  Not so sure about this idea.  Must be a tight gripper.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
The gripper is very tight, and actually the broad-heads do sink into the rubber in the bottom a little, no worries of the arrows coming out; I am just not sure whether or not the foam actually does anything more to protect the broadheads. If not then the foam would be unnecessary to purchase.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
If it holds them tight, I would go without foam. I personally hate to put a fresh sharpened head it to the foam, but That is just me.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
At the moment of truth, I want quiet, so I use foam to deaden the quiver vibration and to maintain a little extra control of the arrow on that end.

The free kind of ethafoam from computer packing boxes works great with a little carving.
CoilSpring

Offline 2-door

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
One per-dawn morning I pulled my PLX up, hung it on my bow hook and discovered I had cut my first 3fingers on my shooting hand. The accident was bad ! Lost a unit of blood and a hunting season on opening day. Belive me when I encourage everyone to use foam in the hood for safety sake. Could save your life !

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 01:42:00 AM »
not sure how much a yoga block is but there is a place in michigan called the foam factory will ship foam from thier website and a 2'x2' sheet of good 6lb foam only cost 24 bucks and will make a whole bunch of quivers full. about 5 years ago i found one of those white square blue ridge foam targets on sale for 10 bucks and bougt it just fro that reason and am still using that same foam target to cut my quiver foam from.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
I'll be using a bow quiver in October for a ground hunt in Alberta. The quiver doesn't use foam but has a thin, hard rubber interior which holds the broadhead in place.

As was said above, it bugs me too to put sharp broadheads into foam.

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
foam always, even in hip style quiver, secure hold for me
Randy

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
Robert,
 I've been telling people for several years now Yoga blocks have many use's as well as a hood foam replacement...Glad you mentioned that in your post and I would rather protect the whole blade so no type of accident can happen ...When you search those blocks remember you can get some that have drabby colors as well not just pastel colors...I've seen black,brown,tan,and drabby green...You can use it for tons of traditional stuff just use your imagination...

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Oh almost forgot you can glue the foam with Plumbers Goop,Shoe Goop,Marine Goop or all purpose Goop...It's waterproof and most tubes cost just under $5.00 for a healthy sized tube...Try it on your next footings on carbon and the inserts...Goop the next best adhesive for all your traditional needs and every hunter should carry a tube in their possibles bag,back pack,fanny pack or whatever you carry cause Goop has a ton of use's as well....  :archer:

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
I've got one bow quiver that doesn't use foam and can't find a way to get it on my recurves..I hate using foam in quivers, but so far am stuck with it.

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
I saw a guy at a 3D shoot that had sprayed the rubber in a can inside his quiver head. He claimed the rubber coating reduced vibration and made it quieter when shooting and removing arrows. He had the rubber insert in the bottom and no foam. He was pleased with it and it was pretty quiet when he shot. That spray on stuff looked really nice, I bet there are other uses too. He said he got it at a camping supply place.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
I bought one of the cheap foam beach boards at walmart for maybe 5 bucks. Works great.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I want quiet, so I would,have to shoot The Bow with the quiver to make sure it was quiet! Shawn
Shawn

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
I use foam in my quivers.I use both 3 blade and 2 blade broadheads and use a different insert for each.Use pieces from an old ******t target.

I use a dull broadhead to make the initial hole and then coat it with vaseline and line the hole afew times to help keep possible rust and dulling to a minimum .

Have never lost an arrow so far--and no rusting either.

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Agree with RC, foam beach boards from WalMart.  Many uses. Nice way to store broadheads.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, still cant quite decide what I wanna do yet. Yoga blocks really don't cost much ($10-15) but I'm a cheap guy on a college budget anyhow... Shooting the bow with the quiver without foam doesn't seem a whole lot louder than just shooting the bow bare, it is louder but not too noticeable.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
what about a mouse pad cut to fit? Being so thin and dense, the tips would just butt up to the pad, but not actually penetrate and dull the blades.

edit: oops, didn't see the rubber part

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©