3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Using a bike elk hunting  (Read 522 times)

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
Using a bike elk hunting
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
I've used a bike for some public property that has long roads close to vehicles but was thinking if it's worth the afford to help pack gear. Push up steep hills and ride down.  Any body try this?  Whats your thoughts.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using a bike elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Maybe, as long a you don't bust your azz, and gear, riding down one of those steep hills.
  :dunno:
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
I do it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
We did it a couple of years ago when the roads were closed to vehicles. We were in Montana and they were doin reclamation wrk to an old mine and closed a major portion of the roads for their equipment.

It worked great because we were the only ones hunting the entire area.  Buddy shot a P&Y 6x6 that year.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »
Depends on the terrain. If you ride a trail bike on a regular basis, and are in excellent condition and want to scout old logging roads in an area that is closed to vehicles. All bikes, regardless of price and construction have limits. Personally, a bike is a great idea in the right areas, if you need to travel some distance, or just to scout an area. Travel light.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
I would say conditions would have to be just right for it to be any advantage (long closed road that is in decent shape).  I can't think of one place I have elk hunted where it would have helped.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
I use a mountain bike often in a couple if places I elk hunt.  I can cover a lot of ground in a hurry in the morning and evening.  We have packed out a bunch of elk and deer with the bikes and small bike trailers.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
We have a lot of timber company land with locked gates and decent roads to ride on.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Personally I'd rather walk down a hill than push a bike up a hill.  And like Mark, I can't think of a single place I've elk hunted that I could have taken a bike,  but that may vary depending on where you're hunting.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bear Heart:
We have a lot of timber company land with locked gates and decent roads to ride on.
That is the ideal place for using a bike.  In most other situations it probably isn't worth it.  You're more likely to focus on not breaking your neck than finding game.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
When I get to my jump off  I hide and lock the bike. Plot the loaction on your gps and map.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
I often hunt much like Bear Heart.  Lots of closed logging roads.  And I don't push it uphill.  Get in shape and you can ride.  If your hunting completely wilderness areas then Its not going to have any value.  If you have hunted in different types of terrain, you find there is always more than one way to skin a elk.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Buddy of mine used a bike/trailer to scout, kill and haul out a really nice bull in my part of the world... but up here we have a lot of closed logging roads in elk country.  I think Elknutz hit it on the head... if you have roads - go for it... if not bikes are useless.
JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
I have done it in NE WA and it worked pretty well, but you need to get into Mountain bike shape not road riding shape. Also ride your bike with your pack and bow while getting in shape. That few extra pounds going up a gravel road makes a difference. You can cover some pretty good ground, also here in WA there are some pretty decent hiking trails that you can mountain bike on as long as your not in a designated wilderness area.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Here on the coast in Washington most of the land is private timber land with thousands of miles of gated roads. The mountain bike is one of our primary tools for elk hunting and especially scouting. I ride and scout almost every weekend starting in June. If you don't know what lies 3 or 4 miles behind the gate you will waste a lot of time walking for nothing.

John

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
I hunted whitetails off a bike for years while stationed in VA.  Some tricks:  if there are two, lash a stick across the handle bars so both can push and control the bike.  Also a stout stick strapped to the rame gives a place behind the seat for extra meat. You might also think about removing the pedals so they do not drag.  
Elk habitat here can lend itself to bike, but terrain and vegetation make it tough.  Bring one, who knows it may work where you end up.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
We are thinking about it for this year. My son is thinking about using it to pack in and out as well. I think it could work unless we get too much rain.

I'll let you know.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
I have used my bike for several years in southwest Washington.  Sometimes walking it in but after dark with good lights riding out is a great time saver.
I packed a bull out a couple of years ago with it. Actually had a quarter tied to the bike and one on my back. Walked it out in two trips.

BigArcher

Offline usmc1029

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Whoops double post.  I have used a MB many times while whitetail hunting to drive on forest lanes.  Headed to CO in two weeks for an elk hunt.  Had a friend check out the area we are headed to and the first thing he said was "If you can, bring some mountain bikes".  The trail head has a gate, but the road continues for a couple of miles and can be accessed by bike.  So the bikes are packed.

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
My buddy and I used bikes for a couple areas that had closed logging roads. It works great in those scenarios. Nice thing is you can change areas with a lot less effort if on a bike. The area we hunted took an hour for us to get to cause of the hills. The ride back to the truck took 20 min cause of the hills. :-)
Brandon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©