3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletch cover yay or nay?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
fletch cover yay or nay?
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Got a new Fletch cover a safari tuff for my GN. I'm not sure I like it. When I manuever the bow around the cover flaps against the fletching creating noise. When I pull an arrow its really hard not to have the feather srape against the cover creating more noise. I like the idea of rain protection covering bright fletching and protecting from getting trashed though brush. But I don't think a whitetail would put up with the noise. I'm not sure if i will use it or not.
What are your thoughts on them?

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletch cover yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
The one's I use are made from fleecy material and i like them a lot. I use them for camo more than rain protection.

Have an arrow on the string already when on stand and don't still hunt much any more.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
I use a self-made cover since the commercial covers tend to be on the noisy side, especially  when feathers touch them.  Bow quiver fletching has alot of movement to it even when you're careful.  IMO, fletch covers provide a useful advantage for hiding that 'fletching flash' that can spook game.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
NAY!

Just dont see the point really.  Not going to hunt in the pouring rain (follow blood? yeah right..)  If im out and it starts pouring,  99.9% chance Im done for the day.  If it sprinkles/drizzles a bit,  my arrows will be fine. Im careful of my set up if I have to wade throug brush.  Unless Im hunting turkeys without a blind,  Im not concerned in regards to a camo factor.   Minimal to NO noise with no cover.  
Anyway,  I dont have any interest in using one...but only my 2 cents  :rolleyes:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
I use a fleece fletch cover during rain but not otherwise. I keep it attached to my homemade GFA style quiver.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
This will be my 51st bowhunting season and have never used a fletch cover nor felt a need to have one.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
Tim...I use a Kathy Kelly soft fletch cover whenever I use a bowquiver, which isn't that often.

I carry it on spring bear hunts just in case I get caught in the rain. Same with my back quiver, just in case. If I bowhunt in the rain or snow, I use my Catquiver because we do hunt in the rain.

I'm working on running a heavy wire through the bottom which I can bend and shape so I can keep the cover more "Open" so my feathers don't mess up when returning them. A small inconvience but I'm always tinkering. A few pics...

Here..on a bear hunt, I shoved my quiver inside the long pouch on the side of my Day One pack and protected the feathers with the cover. It rained 3 days on us and although I spray my feathers down with Silicone, I like the added protection. This cover is soft and quiet.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I always use one(homemade). About 30 years ago I was set up on a cornfield when another hunter came in and climbed a tree probably 80 yards across from me. I saw him climb the tree and pretty much disappear(good camo) Except for his arrows, there they were eight BRIGHT yellow flags moving in the tree. I use white so they would looked the same.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I made a fletch cover out of brown cotton in the 60s I still have it today however the brown has turned to purple. Oh well. I guess I could add some black and a Ravens logo and I'm all set for fall.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
I personally don't see much point in them. If your arrows are tuned so that a bare shaft flies true, then wet feathers shouldn't make any difference. As far as camo goes, MOST things I hunt are color blind, so the fletching color doesn't matter. As far as the fletch flash, I imagine a cover's movement is just as conspicuous as the fletching itself. IMHO

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Nay. Tried several, didn't care for any of them.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
I always use them with bow quiver....and I've posted extensively why here on many occasion....and don't have time to go into all the details of why.

I also use a certain configuration that eliminates noise....noise is never a problem with the fletch cover...and if you drag naked arrows across a limb they are going to be noisy anyway.

The way I hunt,....there's lots of reasons to use them....mostly to hide my bright fletch and wrap...and help hide myself.

If you use bright fletch, your arrows are like waiving a flag and can be seen for hundreds of yards....color blind doesn't mean they cant determine brightness...and bright movement sticks out WAY more that muted color movement.

I could post more, but it probably wouldn't matter....but I wont go into the woods without mine...again, for lots of reasons.  Mostly to help me get into range of game when stalking.

I don't think I can be convinced they don't work because I've killed too many animals with them....and gotten way closer than I should have on many occasion.  And, all fletch covers are not all created equal.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Never had a problem using fletch covers-but I prefer the tube quivers that you can buy or make when the weather is foul.
What Terry posted about bright feathers is SO true. At times I have seen the feathers at a great distance before I could even make out the hunter. Like a bright light in the dark.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Don't use a bow quiver any more but always used a fletch cover when I did.  Not too concerned about wet feathers but the flash is way too much.

BTW I use a Safari Tuff quiver now and dark fletching.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I only use them turkey hunting because I don't believe in using a blind.  I don't use them deer hunting.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keith Zimmerman:
I only use them turkey hunting because I don't believe in using a blind.  I don't use them deer hunting.
That's man stuff right there! That's a challenge!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
I made one years ago. I use for certian hunts and not some others.

I will see if i can find a pic.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »

Here is a pic of one that I made.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Thanks so far for the opinions I still waffle on using my cat quiver or bow quiver.
I don't hunt in the pooring rain either but wet sleety snow and a light drizzle are normal. Even a short rain shower can get thing wet. I guess I need too do a search for Terrrys many reasons. L am curious.
Tim

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
I have been using one for the last couple of years and like it, it happens to be a Saffari Tuff but unlike you I don't find it noisy at all. I have 1916 legacy's Yellow 5" shields and arrows are crested.
Conny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©