3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Going from tab to glove, first time need some advice.  (Read 627 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Going from tab to glove, first time need some advice.
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I've been a tab shooter all my life and recently borrowed a glove to try and I really liked it.  Always there in position ready to go. Not flapping around. And also my fingers have been getting sore before my muscles do from shooting. Most times I stop shooting because my fingers. I always likes a thicker tab for his reason. I like the feel of the shot on a thinner tab but can only shoot for short periods. I have learned to control my shot 3 years ago and now hold at draw for few seconds and i feel is reason my fingers get tender so quickly. I used to snap shoot and could shoot allot more. I talked to Arne about his and tried some different techniques that did help with the finger soreness But after shooting many arrows they get sore.
I was thinking of trying either the dura glove or the big shot glove. Does the dura glove have leather under the nylon? I also considered the the new one with buffalo but I don't think I need one that thick. Also you have to get a glove broke in for it to shoot nice? Is this true?. I shoot #51. Thanks.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Going from tab to glove, first time need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
I use a Damascus glove.  Although thinner than the glove you mention, I find it works well.  They are cheap - you may want to buy one and try it out.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by dirtguy:
I use a Damascus glove.  Although thinner than the glove you mention, I find it works well.  They are cheap - you may want to buy one and try it out.
That is what I tried. I liked feel of glove but it was too thin for me. Hunting, no problem. But everyday shooting id be tender

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
American Leathers Crossover. best glove i have ever used. plenty thick, but also plenty flexible and good feel.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
X2 on the American Leathers Crossover. Had the Bigshot and thought nothing could beat it until I got the Crossover.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
I am curious about why you have sore fingers? Something is causing this.

Do you use a deep hook on the string? Good back tension with follow thru until release.

What's your draw length?

How long is your bow?

Recurve or longbow?

split or three under?

What type of tab are you currently using?
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Dogbyte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
i just have a cheap Neet Archery glove, and my fingers arent sore after hours of shooting. i changed from a tab as well, the tab for me, was too thick and i couldnt feel the string, my accuracy improved quite a bit. havent looked back.

do you shoot a FF string, small diameter?

i wish i could afford a nice Corsican leather glove, maybe one day.
Genesis 21:20 God was with the lad, and he grew; and he lived in the wilderness and became an archer.

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
I could never shoot with a tab.  Have no idea how people shoot them.  I use a Berlin glove from 3 Rivers.  Has a little extra leather on the finger tips.  Good feel of the string.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
Crossover is my main glove.  But I do have a Neet glove that has fairly heavy leather that I like also.
I tried a tab and thought that was the way to go, but after awhile I came back to a glove.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
My advise is don't do it!!  :bigsmyl:  I started out shooting a glove and went to a tab and will never go back. I get a much cleaner release with a tab. If I am bunny hunting than and only than I use a glove because the action can be fast and furious and a glove is quicker to get on the string and get a shot off. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
I started shooting a tab last year after about 40 years of shooting gloves.  I like it for target shooting, but I like a glove better for hunting for the reason you mentioned.  It's always at the ready and faster to put into action.

For hunting I use an American leathers Big Shot.  I think at the draw weight you have, the Big Shot will be more than sufficient.  It has a nylon webbing over the leather in the finger stalls.  The Crossover, also has a nylon insert sewn inside the finger stalls in addition to the nylon webbing sewn over the outside, more than you need IMO.

Regardless, it will take a little time to break in the glove.  Definitely a different feel. I think the release can be a bit cleaner with a tab,  as Shawn points out.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by northener:
I am curious about why you have sore fingers? Something is causing this.

Do you use a deep hook on the string? Good back tension with follow thru until release.

What's your draw length?

How long is your bow?

Recurve or longbow?

split or three under?

What type of tab are you currently using?
Bateman Cordovan with space
Black widow pchx 58 inch recurve
29 in draw
Split fingers
I work on my form constantly since I stopped snap shooting. Feel I'm very solid. Squeezing with the back is what breaks my shot over.
Full first joint or just a hair deeper. Better release and less hand tension for me.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
I like a Damascus glove but for bows over 50# at my draw length I like a little more protection.  I use a Dura-Glove when I'm not using the Damascus.  Unfortunately I have read several poor reviews of the currently available Dura-glove, mine is an old one.  The Bearpaw Speed Glove is very similar.

American Leathers makes a fabulous glove, mine is a Big Shot Elk skin model.  It's a little more padding than I like but then I'm only shooting 50#.  It's very well made and a great glove.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
blackwidow sticktite gloves are nice. I have the extra thick one with nylon over the tips. They take a bit to break in, but very clean release.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
A 62" bow at 29 draw would make a world of difference.RC

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Sounds like you have things well under control, sorry for the questions, just puzzling me is all.

I also shoot a bateman/with spacer, my favorite by far of all the tabs I have tried thru the years. I too, make sure of a deep hook and follow thru till arrow hit target. The only time my fingers get remotely sore is if I do not follow thru with back tension or using a shorter bow will some times pinch my pointer finger.

Good luck to you.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by northener:
Sounds like you have things well under control, sorry for the questions, just puzzling me is all.

I also shoot a bateman/with spacer, my favorite by far of all the tabs I have tried thru the years. I too, make sure of a deep hook and follow thru till arrow hit target. The only time my fingers get remotely sore is if I do not follow thru with back tension or using a shorter bow will some times pinch my pointer finger.

Good luck to you.
No problem, I would post pics of my hand at full draw but it would need to go into the shooters forum. I'm not real sure. Kinda stumps me also

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
howard hill archery makes a glove that stops sore fingers. it is very think double leather with nylon strip inserts just like the master himself used

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
Go back to the tab!     :D
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Damascus glove with deep hook works for me at 52 pds. Love tabs but have a habit of string hitting nose, with glove no problem.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©