3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke Kestral  (Read 563 times)

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke Kestral
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
I am considering a new Kestral from Dan Toelke and was wondering if anyone can provide feedback on this short 52" recurve.  I have a 26 1/2" draw length and realize that should not cause any problems for me.  Having owned a few of Dan's works of art in the past (Whips and Chinooks), I am aware of Dan's workmanship and his attention to detail, plus knowing his Engineering expertise, I feel this would be an excellent choice for me but I would like any feedback if possible.  Thanks.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelke Kestral
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks as I have a used one coming.  I draw 27 and have always liked short bows...don't know if this one is going to be Too Short for stability.  I couldn't resist trying though.  I love Dan's bows too but there is a possibility the Kestral could be flying back to the Traditional Bows Classifieds   :rolleyes:  tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
What are the specs on the one you are buying?  I assume mid 40's and if so let me know if you decide to sell it.  I just might accommodate ya.  Thanks.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
I think you'll both like them.  Maybe a touch louder then your used to with a Toelke but certainly not objectionable.  I felt at 29" I was pushing the design, but they are good little bowa.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
I love the looks of that bow. I'd like to try one sometime as I have always liked shorter recurves also.

The problem is shorter (52 inch) bows don't work well with my 29" draw. At least the few I've tried.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
It should work great for shorter draws though. Good ground bow.

Offline SkottyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I am totally impressed with the performance of this bow. I have bought and sold many bows and after shooting this one I knew I had found something very special. IMHO it will perform with any recurve. This with the bow at 48" when strung. It does have a little "recurve" noise but not loud. It really pushes my 29" 605 grain arrows with authority. I have the locator grip and find it  very pleasing. Again IMHO, it is the perfect bow for hunting.
>>>------Scott------->

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
The Kestrel will work great at your draw length.  Have him do a custom grip on yours with the Whip thumb rest and some nice palm swell, you'll love it.  I draw close to 29.5 and I ended up selling the Kestrel I had because I felt it was hitting its limit of smoothness at my draw and I'm not the type that likes a 'draw stop' type of feel in a bow.  The workmanship was top notch and the Kestrel is so cool, LOL proportions.  I have a Super D now and I've found my Toelke. Go for it!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
I draw 29" and have shot a couple of Kestrals at Dan's shop. I never found any stacking and the little bows were well-mannered like all Toelke bows and very quick. Pete Ward did an in depth review on one a few years ago and gave it very high marks across the board. There is an exceptionally nice one in Cocobolo/Myrtlewood on his website now.

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I picked one up last week I have never been a fan of the shorter recurves and would like to become a fan so I picked one up. I am a huge fan know!!! The bow really performs is easier to shoot than I thought it would be. With good form I am able to shoot it very accurately. I draw about 27.25 and it is very smooth, no stacking or finger pinch at all. It is really fun to shoot, and with any luck this fall will help me put a Wisconsin whitetail in my freezer this fall. Good luck.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jim Wright:
I draw 29" and have shot a couple of Kestrals at Dan's shop. I never found any stacking and the little bows were well-mannered like all Toelke bows and very quick. Pete Ward did an in depth review on one a few years ago and gave it very high marks across the board. There is an exceptionally nice one in Cocobolo/Myrtlewood on his website now.
That coco/myrtle one is gorgeous. I've been eyeballing it for a while but it's too heavy for me.

Here is a link to Pete's review that you mentioned:  http://peteward.com/2007%20new%20pages/test.toelke52.1pc.html

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »
I owned one, and my draw is close to 30"... This one had the Whip grip on it.  Very quick for such a short bow, and I agree with normal recurve noise...  Jeff, it is a great shooter, I think you will be impressed.  If it was about 10# heavier I would probably still have it...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »
I did a 6 strand SBD string on mine with wool wrapped ends and wool puffs, and put soft Velcro in the string grooves and that puppy with a 9-10 gpp arrow was about as quiet as you could get a recurve.  I was impressed.  It's a great short bow, if they made a 54" I'd be all over it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
Dan does a great job with his Kestral.  It pulls smooth to my 28" draw and is very forgiving. One of the best performing recurves out there pound for pound period.   It is as quiet as any recurve I own with a 6 strand SBD string on it with recurve wraps and puff silencers.  I have a 2 piece and the phenolic riser with it mass weight helps it.  This is one bow that I will not sell.  It is pictured in my avatar.

God bless,   Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Online twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
I like everything abou the bow except for the grip. It is  a deeper throated grip and I like the flatter grips of the whip and lynx. I will most likely sell mine to fund more limbs for my Lynx. I still stand by my review of this bow in the "Reviews" forum.  The grip just is not for me. If you are a recurve shooter the grip is right up your ally .  For hunting my 43 lb bow loves a 30" AD lite, 100 gr brass insert and 300 gr pt.  700 gr of punch with almost 30% FOC.

Offline birddogdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »

Here's mine.  50@ 28"  I love it and it shoots great!

Shawn

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
^^^ that's a beauty

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Ordered mine today.  Dan is going to use red Cocobolo in the riser with a Medium/Low grip and he said he will surprise me with the limb veneers.  Dan told me to sit down when I open the box because it is going to be a looker.  Boo-Ya!!! I can't wait now.  I ordered it 45# @ 28" to accommodate my CE Heritage 150's and my new Kanati Hunter Quiver.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Got a Super D from Dan a month ago and it had that red coco overlays of the riser front and limb tips, i think your gonna love it.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Congrats Doug. Can't wait to see the pics.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©