3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should you practice when your not in the mood for it ?  (Read 733 times)

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
Should you practice when your not in the mood for it ?
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Should you practice when your not in the mood for it ?

Let me be more specific, I have been practicing every night for the past month. I am happy with my progress (after I figured out I was way over spined) I can now hold a rock solid anchor so I developed a lot of strength.

Tonight I was just not in the mood to shoot, my brother-in-law was over till almost dark. I then thought about my commitment to shoot each night. It then floated thru my mind it is suppose to rain tomorrow & I might not get to shoot.

So I strung up my bow on this hot humid Michigan day, was shooting because I felt I have to, not that I want to (I usually enjoy shooting & look at it as a nice way to relax after work) went out side, couldn't concentrate on picking a spot as my mind was thinking about everything except shooting. First round of arrows sprayed all over, I realized I needed to concentrate on picking a spot. The second round was not a whole lot better. After the 3rd round I thought enough is enough.

So with all that said............... Should you practice when your not in the mood for it ?  All I probably did was develop a little bit of shoulder muscle.

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should you practice when your not in the mood for it ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
I would say no. If you can't fully concentrate then things usually go bad. I would suggest just shooting a couple arrows and call it a day.
Al

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
No do not practice when you can not focus. I go tho shoot sometimes I just have to much on my mind. So I just stop.If you allow yourself to do bad things because your not in the mood or focused your telling your subconscious that its ok and you will do bad things. One of the most important things I learned from Rod Jenkins is the best shot you can ever take is to let the bow down and not shoot the shot if its not right. I do it often let down and start over. So just don't do it!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
No...unless you have total concentration and focus on every shot, leave the bow hanging. Again, archery like any other sport is mental and if your not in the right frame of mind, your shooting will suffer.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
I am so glad you asked this.  I have been thinking about this recently too.  Yesterday due to work stress I was so frustrated shooting.  Like you I could not get it right.  My focus was way poor.  And then I had  a hard time finding a good time to quit, as I usually try to quit on a good note.

Today, I was back to form....not as good as I like to be, but much more myself. So, I agree with the others. I should have just not practiced when my focus is poor.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
The answers are coming in like I thought, I need to get the time in as I am improving a lot. But some nights my head is not in the game & I kinda figured I might be doing more harm than good.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts,
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I'm tempted To go out right now and shoot but I got little sleep last night and I shot great last night. My neighbors are building a garage and I don't like to shoot when they have there whole circus of  people over. Which is all weekend from Fri.after work to Sunday night. So weekends are out. So yeah I feel like I should be Shooting now.
I find short sessions to be satisfying as long as Im shooting good. If I'm shooting bad be it wether I'm distracted tired or just not in the mood. Bad habits can develop. So I will either put the bow away. Or I will Step up close and just work on blank bale or some mechanical aspect of my shooting.
It is supposed to be fun and relaxing not work.
Tim.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
No, this is a hobby, not a job.  If you practice when you don't really want to, then concentration and form will suffer. That's how bad habits creep in. Just make sure you shoot enough to stay in condition and maintain form.
Sam

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Sorry double post. Dang Kindle

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
No!   :knothead:  /work.  :archer:  enjoyable, and rewarding, NOT a labor.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Not in the mood is just that but I think practicing concentration through stress can be a good thing. Blocking out everything but the shot is a very important skill that takes time to master.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Your not getting paid to do it.  It should be fun or relaxing.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
No.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
This should be fun and not work- save shooting until you want to and can concentrate on good form.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I will let you know when that happens, lol.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
First, before I disagree with everyone, I will have to admit that I do the same thing: I don't shoot unless I feel like it.  But I'm just an old man, and past the age where I can prove anything to anybody.

Now I'll disagree with everyone.  Anyone who wants to really excel at something will find a way to practice each and every day.  When Hemingway went to Paris, he made an agreement with himself that he would write at least X number of words each and every day.  Sometimes he would throw away everything he had written the day before, but he wrote anyway.  I'm sure pro athletes practice every day in season and pre-season, and most days in between.  I know enough pro musicians that I can say they practice just about every day, even the ones who aren't stars.  Any of these people, writers, athletes, musicians, will generally practice whether they feel like it or not.  If they don't practice, it's because they can't, for some reason or another, not because they don't feel like it.

Now if the reason you're shooting the bow is just to have fun, fine, but if you want to get to the next level, you're going to have to figure out some way to practice on those days when you don't feel like it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
as mentioned, this is suppose to be fun. If you are not gonna enjoy it at that moment dont do it. nothing good can come from forcing something that is 90% mental when your mind is on other things.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
If you have a perfectly tuned set up, then yes, I think it would be good to force yourself to concentrate and make good shots. That is unless you are fatigued and or just in a really bad/angry mood. Not saying that you have to do it every time, just that it is good practice sometimes. Also, it can be better for your overall practice to take a day off every now and again.
On the other hand, if you are in the process of tuning a new set up, then NO, do not practice unless you have 100% commitment and confidence in what you are doing. My $.02.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
NO
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
If practicing every night has yielded happiness with your progress, then I would keep that up.  Myself, I shoot every day.  Sometimes I only get a few minutes to shoot 6 or 9 arrows, but I'm still reiterating muscle memory.  Even if your not in to it you can invest sound technique in to 5 minutes of shooting.  I've found it's like working out, a road bike ride, or anything else; the days you're not super   motivated but do it anyway are often the most rewarding.
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©