3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Checking broadhead alignment after tanto tip  (Read 462 times)

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
Checking broadhead alignment after tanto tip
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Hello guys,

I need some help.  I have several used Original Woodsman glue on broadheads and want to install screw-in adapters.  However, I filed the needle tip down when they were on woodies. I would like to know how I can insure they are aligned correctly without any wobble.  The tip is no longer "perfectly" aligned due to the filing and wobble.

Has anyone determined how to aligned them even though the tip is not perfect?

Thanks for your help.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Checking broadhead alignment after tanto tip
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Can get yourself an arrow spinner tool.  That's a gizmo that has two sets of rollers about a foot apart.  By rolling your arrow shaft on it, you can check for broadhead wobble.  Can also make your own by cutting a couple of V-blocks and gluing them upright to a piece of wood.  Can glue a third flat piece about three inches further along on the wood and butt the tip of your broadhead against it as you slowly rotate the shaft. If it's inalignment, the point will stay in the same place on the stop block.  If it's out of alignment, the point will trace an oval of some sort.  Heat andreposition the broadhead as necessary until it doesn't wobble.  Good luck.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Put the insert in the arrow.  Install WW with 5 minute epoxy.  Install and spin on table.  You'll get it as good as needed.  At least that's what I'd try.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Thanks Orion. I have the arrow spin tester and have tried it.  The problem is that the tip is not perfect due to me filing it in a pyramid shape.  Should the tip still spin in one place even if it was filed a little off center?

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
I use the tip for alignment and for that reason,when I file the tip for any reason,tanto etc,I use the alignment jig to keep the tip centered and true.I often check alignment after a miss or hit on game so it is important to keep the tip filed evenly.

The tip can't possibly spin true if filed off center.Sorry,I don't know how to reverse the process.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Just File the Tanto Tip VERY Carefully!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
That's kinda what I was afraid of.....

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Use your spin tester and make crosshair on a piece of cardboard or paper. Make the crosshair to sit level with your broadhead when sitting on the spin tester. Place your arrow with broadhead on the tester put your crosshair just in front of the broadhead and slowly turn. See if it goes off to the side or up or down. Turn on the shaft till the point moves the least away from your crosshair. That will be as close to align as you will get. Then shoot if it flies where you are looking then good to go. If it planes well try the next one. I bet they will fly straighter than you think.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
Yeah, with the point skewed, it makes life more difficult, but, get er the best you can.  

The spinner is the way to go, it will certainly show you if the head is way off, you will see this with no help from crosshairs or dots.  

Spin and watch and see if the movement is because of the head alignment or the tip alignment (due to filing).  

Certainly you can compare the flat plane even if you did do some filing.  If the flat of the broadhead moves as compared to the "dot" then it is not straight.  

Then shoot the arrow and see how it flies.

CHuckC

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Go back and file the tips where each bevel is the same as the others and where the point is back in the middle.. Cast a critical eye on them and file where necessary. With care you can get them back to the point they will spin well..

I file points all the time. Generally I'll mount the broadhead to where it's spinning well then file the point to the profile I want being very cautious to keep the point centered, in the middle of the broadhead.. Much easier to do correctly the first time than it is to go back and eyeball them and try to correct a non centered point.. BUT, you can do it, a little time and patience and you'll have them spinning like a top!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
I would think if you want a perfectly centered point, you will have to re-file the tip. You could use your alignment spinner to get the the circle made by the off-center tip as small as possible. You will then know the head is aligned with the shaft. Then re-file the tip to bring the circle to a point.

Sounds a bit time consuming to me, but I've wasted more time than I can count on less important things   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
That makes sense Bladepeek.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
I am thinking. .  if the broadhead is out of alignment by a bunch, wouldn't that cause a sort of corkscrew movement during the pass through, cutting more area and causing more damage.  Similar, but on a larger scale, to a single bevel head ?  Might be a good thing !

:scared:  

ChuckC

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
shoot them & see.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
I mount my Woodsmans, spin them on my jig and make sure that they are perfect ,. then file the tanto tip and check on the jig. I file until they are perfect again. Once done like this you can mount them on any arrow and spin to the tip and be good.

God bless, Steve

Offline Daniel G. Banting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
I'm not really sure but it seems to me that if you have an arrow spinner, you could just mount the arrow as per usual and put a 90 degree square up against a blade. If any of the two other blade either moves the square or moves away from the square you have an alinement issue at the point no matter what shape it may be.

Regards,
Dan
If I keep my level of appreciation higher than my level of expectation, I have a good day.
Ray Wiley Hubbard

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
What Dan said!  :thumbsup:

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
Thanks for your ideas. Dan, I'm going to give that a try and see.  Thanks again for your comments and help.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©