3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No "it" factor  (Read 611 times)

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
No "it" factor
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Has anyone else ever owned a bow that had looks, shot great and was quiet but yet you just didn't get excited shooting it.  I have one bow that falls into that catagory.  Can't find any faults with it except that it just doesn't do "it" for me.  Was just down in the basement shooting it.  Here is a average group with it (with my mismatched basement arrows)

Why can't I get excited with a bow that shoots like this?  :dunno:

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No "it" factor
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Is it Butt-Ugly or what?  :scared:   I havent had a Bow Yet that I didnt get some Butterflies Shooting! Then again, it doesnt take much to entertain me sometimes....  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Oh ya!...that's why I spend so much time in the classifieds:)
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
I've had several like that.  In my experience there is no shortage of   nice bows but only a few really have that indefinable   something that makes them special...and that something varies from person to person.  Probably why the classifieds are such good hunting grounds for nice bows.

I always do a little cringe when I see someone new to stickbows contemplating ordering a brand new custom bow when they have never shot one; that's a lot of money and a long time to wait for something that is basically a big unknown.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Yep, once ordered a Blacktail and waited a year for it. It had it all but I just didn't like it because I prefer small risered three piece bows and they have large/long risers. So it is totally a cosmetic thing with me. Sold it a few months after I got it.

Nothing wrong with "you want what you want". Don't stop until you find what that is. I did and love the five or so bows that just do it for me in all aspects.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Exactly!!!!!!!!

The most important part of shooting a bow for me is:

"It isn't how the bow shoots, it is how the bow makes me feel when I shoot it!"

I have owned many great bows that were beautiful and very easy to shoot but they just didn't "DO-IT" for me.

Any bow that wants more than a temporary residence at my home has to take me to "Sherwood" when I put my hand to it.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Same here. I've sold/traded off some bows that were very nice looking, shot as well as any of my bows, had a good grip, but something unidentifiable was lacking. I guess I'm much too emotional about my bows. Instead of just shooting great, I expect them to get me all excited. At my age, I'm starved for excitement. Maybe I'll go run the bulls with my walker   :(
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Yep. Mine is a Black Swan. It's a great bow, I just did not get the connection to it. I shoot it occasionally to justify keeping it!!!!!

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Absolutely,

My Hills do "it" for me right now. I've had, and have other bows that I could shoot a little more consistantly, but I keep wanting to grab my Hills. There's not much difference anymore.

I plan on taking a Super Kodiak hunting this year. Even now, when I'm practicing with it, I keep thinking that I should be shooting one of my Hills.

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
I've only been at this for about three years now, but out of the 7 bows I've owned only one really had "it".  A  Widow PA. It had everything I always wanted in a bow, great looks, amazingly fast, perfect weight, and a point and shoot grip. Money issues caused me to trade it, and now I'm trying to save for another bow for next year. Not sure if it'll be the same, since I'm looking at ilf long bows, but its gotta have "it".

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
My it = grip.  I bought and sold a bunch until I found the one.  McCullough Griffin.

I would love to try a Whip though...and a MOAB..and a...

Stay away from the classifieds....stay away from the classifieds...I can do this...   :knothead:

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Yes.  Definitely yes!  

And I also have the related problem which you appear to have too :-)  

I cannot get rid of bows "that shoots like this" even when they don't do "it" for me.

I don't know if there is therapy or not.  We all have crosses to bear.  :-)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Yup! Owned plenty of em' that I shot very well but just didn't have that "it" factor you speak of.  I've seen you shoot Glenn....hard to believe you could miss with any bow!!!

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Yep I know that problem!! My latest was a $1100 dollar wheelie bow!  But I've finally found the one!!! It's a 2 piece whip and I'm in love!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Recurves in general fall into that category for me, even though I have a few that shoot and look very nice. A graceful recurve can really be beautiful, and some of my buddies regularly embarrass me when I shoot against them and their curves. However, I am just drawn to the longbow, its just where the magic is for me. I guess that's why they make both types, because many recurve guys have that natural preference for their bows.

I do have one longbow that falls into that category. I have no idea why it doesn't really grab me. Perhaps it because it is a 40# draw, and I prefer 50# and up.
Sam

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
---
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Had many.  A Zipper was one of them.  Great performing bow, just couldn't fall in love.  Most recurves are like this for me too.  So far only two recurves that have really done it for me are first my Robertson and recently a Bear Super Kodiak.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Swore I'd never pay full price for another bow till I shot it.  For that matter any bow, just because you've had a good performer from one bowyer before doesnt mean the next one will feel and shoot the same.  I've shot around 20 differant bows in the last few years, and always come back to the same two no matter how much money I spend.  One was $86 off of the auction site.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
 I've seen you shoot Glenn....hard to believe you could miss with any bow!!!
No need to say that Ryan...I have already booked another hunt with you  :biglaugh:

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Now Glenn it seems to me that You have gone to great trouble to explain to the Mrs. that You need a new bow.

Can't You be like the rest of us and just sneak it into the house under the cloak of darkness?

bretto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©