3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gutless cleaning. Who does it east of the Mississippi?  (Read 887 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gutless cleaning. Who does it east of the Mississippi?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I just got my e-mail reply from the Missouri Department of Conservation.

As soon as you telecheck your game it's yours to do with as you please.  Wohoo!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Iv' done it before, but only suppose to in NY if your in remote areas. 9 of my last 10 bucks I have killed on my own land. I can just drive up the hill with tractor and wagon and throw them on, take them down to my barn, and process.I do process them gutless in the barn sometimes, but more times than not I gut them once hung and drop the guts in a wheel barrel. I celebrate the kill by eating the hanging tenders first.   :)   YUM YUM
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Haven't gutted a deer in 15 years. At the camp we hang them by the neck and then clean them without gutting. We even get the inside tenderloins (sweet meat) out by coming in under the spine toward the bottom of the back strap and reaching in and pulling them out. Its the way to go.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by achigan:
Deer Tagging and Checking
Immediately upon killing a deer, the hunter must complete a temporary tag on paper that states the hunter’s name, address, sex of the deer, and the day and month of the kill. A hunter is not required to place the tag on the deer while dragging it out of the field as long as the hunter has filled out and is carrying the required information. A hunter must maintain immediate custody of and visual contact with the deer carcass unless the completed temporary transportation tag is attached. The tag must be attached to the deer before the hunter leaves the deer or loads the deer in a vehicle.

The person who takes the deer is responsible for the delivery of the deer to an official deer check station within 48 hours of the kill, or use the CheckIN Game online system to obtain a confirmation number within 48 hours of the kill. The CheckIN Game confirmation number must be written down on the temporary transportation tag and kept with the deer until processing begins. For a complete listing of check stations, see pages Check Stations of this guide or go tohunting.IN.gov.

The deer head must remain attached to the carcass until the tag is attached and locked at the deer check station. If the deer is taken to a check station, a permanent seal must be attached to the carcass. The permanent seal must remain attached until processing of the deer begins.

Our Indiana regs seem to make it illegal to bone out a deer.
By phone or online via smart phone does away with all of the tagging and check station crap. You are good to go as soon as you have your confirm #.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
yes it's the way to go.. particularly with ELK
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
Rob W. is correct for IN.....it was a long time coming but that hassle of dragging a carcass to a check station has been eliminated. Unless you choose to of course.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
John146, I never thought of doing it that way.    :knothead:   Thanks for the tip.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
I have been using the "Gutless " method on Bears for quite a few years now.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
I do it fairly often, really it's easier than hauling one out.

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
I won't gut hogs and deer get the gut treatment unless there isn't a place to hang them
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
WOW I'm actually surprised at how many people use this method. I was never shown it but now I plan on giving it a go for sure
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Ive seen it on hogs, but curious how much meat is lost this way.  Seems like a good bit of sausage filling could be lost...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
why would you lose any ?  Take it off the bone like you would at home.  Carry a game bag and put it all inside.
ChuckC

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
why would you lose any ?  Take it off the bone like you would at home.  Carry a game bag and put it all inside.
ChuckC
The method I've seen discards all the ribs, belly, etc...

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
gringol, you do lose the ribs but that is basically it. I am into sausage and hamburger meat so when we are done there is not much left. All the meat on the outside of the ribs is harvested. For me it is worth not tainting meat with the guts and it sure is convenient to discard.
Knawbone, your welcome. I get so much good info on this site it is good to give a little for a change.
Todd Trahan

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Thanks, Todd.  I don't think the method I've seen was done properly, lots of good meat left on the ribs/neck.  Thanks for the clarification.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by gringol:
Thanks, Todd.  I don't think the method I've seen was done properly, lots of good meat left on the ribs/neck.  Thanks for the clarification.
We almost always cut the neck off and have the butcher make neck chops out of them cut about 1" thick. If we don't make neck chops we cut every sliver of neck meat off for sausage & burgers. Hope you have a bunch of opportunities this year!
Todd Trahan

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Yeah Brian, in Colorado the rules (at least did) exclude the neck and the ribs from necessary recovery, however not all states are like that.  Pretty certain if you do that in Alaska you will be fined quite heavily.

I bone it all out and sort thru all of it later, when in a state where I can do that.  

I do that same thing at home when butchering my animal, putting the bagged pieces and parts into a cooler for a few days on ice.

It is certainly a great idea if you do not need to register the carcass.  Hoping Wisconsin sees the light soon.
ChuckC

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:

Originally posted by achigan:
Deer Tagging and Checking
Immediately upon killing a deer, the hunter must complete a temporary tag on paper that states the hunter’s name, address, sex of the deer, and the day and month of the kill. A hunter is not required to place the tag on the deer while dragging it out of the field as long as the hunter has filled out and is carrying the required information. A hunter must maintain immediate custody of and visual contact with the deer carcass unless the completed temporary transportation tag is attached. The tag must be attached to the deer before the hunter leaves the deer or loads the deer in a vehicle.

The person who takes the deer is responsible for the delivery of the deer to an official deer check station within 48 hours of the kill, or use the CheckIN Game online system to obtain a confirmation number within 48 hours of the kill. The CheckIN Game confirmation number must be written down on the temporary transportation tag and kept with the deer until processing begins. For a complete listing of check stations, see pages Check Stations of this guide or go tohunting.IN.gov.

The deer head must remain attached to the carcass until the tag is attached and locked at the deer check station. If the deer is taken to a check station, a permanent seal must be attached to the carcass. The permanent seal must remain attached until processing of the deer begins.

Our Indiana regs seem to make it illegal to bone out a deer.
By phone or online via smart phone does away with all of the tagging and check station crap. You are good to go as soon as you have your confirm #. [/b]
Rob, thanks for the heads-up, nice to know. Jim    :thumbsup:
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©