3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long shaft vs. shorter shaft  (Read 316 times)

Offline Arcobsessed

• Trad Bowhunter
Long shaft vs. shorter shaft
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Just wondering what your thoughts are. I started shooting recurve about 3 years ago. I used the Easton guide and bought Easton Axis 500s and shot them practically full length. They bareshafted  and shot a broadhead OK. My question is - What are the advantages of a lighter spine/shorter arrow vs. a higher spine/longer arrow? I will be hunting deer with a new bow (BW PCH)that I have coming. It is 44 lbs @28 and my short little draw length is 26".

I am now using the 3 Rivers guide, similar to Stu Miller and it shows I can go both ways so long as I add more weight to the front of the 500 spine. Opinions on which is the best choice?

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long shaft vs. shorter shaft
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
What is your aiming method?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
I like a long arrow.  I think it is a stable arrow.  If you gap shoot you will decrease your gap with a longer arrow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Don't think there is a "best choice". Which ever tunes best, what weight you want on the killin end and overall weight. If you leave em long, you'll have a few more grains but probably not enough to notice.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
My preference would be the heavier of the two. I like a heavy arrow.for more energy silence and penetration.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
It's a personal preference thing.  I prefer my arrows cut one-inch past the riser at full draw and build them accordingly.  In addition to the pros and cons already mentioned, in a bow quiver, longer arrows tend to stick into the ground when you lean your bow up against a tree, filling the nocks with dirt, unless you remember to lean your bow upside down.  Because they're likely to stick out past the lower limb further, they're also likely to make just a tad more noise as feathers scrape against the brush.  Longer arrows take a little more movement to remove from the quiver and place on the bow. None of these are deal breakers, but it's why I prefer shorter arrows.

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
According to Ashbey in one of his reports longer arrows stabilize better...

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
I never cut arrows, I have no reason to do it.
Randy

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
A longer stiffer spined arrow would tend to weigh more, have the ability to be arranged for more weight forward of center, have the ability to stabilize better, even with less feather, and keeps the broadhead away from your hand on full draw.

A shorter weaker spined arrow would tend to weigh less, would tend to be easier to handle in general, all as described above.

Of course, if you ever watched the Wensels video (I think it was) "Hunting October Whitetails",  a very very very long arrow helps with aiming.

CHuckC

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arcobsessed:
My question is - What are the advantages of a lighter spine/shorter arrow vs. a higher spine/longer arrow?
Are we to assume that the two arrows weigh the same and both bareshaft equally well?  If we are making that assumption, then the differences might be subtle things like the longer arrow may stabilize more quickly but also be more difficult to maneuver in tight brushy places, etc.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
I've read articles where it was stated  the portion sticking out in front at full draw does not bend when going through the archers paradox. Since it doesn't bend much it is headed towards the target and helps pull the rest of the arrow on coarse.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by macbow:
I've read articles where it was stated  the portion sticking out in front at full draw does not bend when going through the archers paradox. Since it doesn't bend much it is headed towards the target and helps pull the rest of the arrow on coarse.
I don't buy that argument.  The arrow goes into paradox because of the rear of the arrow starts to move before the front.  The weaker the spine the more the rear tries to pass the front (bend) the stiffer the pine the less bend you will see.  It is all based on the arrow being pushed on the string, the stiffness of the arrow and the weight at the point. The bend starts at each end of the arrow.

To the OP if the arrow is tuned properly I would not sweat the samll stuff.  A straight shooting arrow should be your first priority. (assmiing you have a sharp broadhead, adequate FOC and arrow arrow weight.

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
I used to get caught up with how much arrow hung off the front of my bow, now my only concern is that it's a properly tuned arrow and that it flys true and hits where I'm looking.

Offline Arcobsessed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks for all of your ideas. I guess I'll try both ways and stick to what feels best for me.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
1" past the riser. Any more just looks weird.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
I know someone who shoots long .500 spined and shorter .600 spined arrows out of his bows. He told me, although longer, the .500 spined arrows deflect/bend/bow less when they impact a critter than the .600 spined arrows. He kills several pigs and deer every year. I do not have enough kills to justify an opinion.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
1" past the riser. Any more just looks weird.
:p    :archer:      :shaka:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Arcobsessed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
OK guys, I started this thread and am finding that there probably isn't much difference in the end result and that both can work equally as well? Another member had asked my method of shooting. I shoot instinctively but do reference the arrow. It's kinda blurry in my secondary field of vision. My original concern was that, because of my lower draw weight and short draw, would there be any benefits to going to the lower spine and shorter arrow?

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
No

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©