3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's With the SKY HIGH Prices??  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
What's With the SKY HIGH Prices??
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Hey all,

I've been thinking lately of treating myself to a bow that I have always wanted.  Unfortunately there are several of them and I just can't decide, but the main ones are a Hill style, a Bear TD and an ACS 3 piece TD.

I know how expensive the first 2 are and I thought the ACS would be kinda close to the Bear TD.  Boy was I flat out WRONG!  I just checked and found out that a new ACS 3 piece TD is priced at $1325!

I don't know about you guys, but for me that is SERIOUS MONEY!  Sadly I'll never be able to own one of those bows now cause I just can't pay that kind of money.  I don't begrudge those that can, congrats to you.

It just seems like every time I check prices of a NEW bow they are $1,000 or MORE.  Hell I was fretting about the possibility of dropping $650 and now I see that that wouldn't buy me a RISER.

It's just about to the point where the only bows I can afford are SAMICK, the ILF Bows and a few longbows.  Every other bow I look at STARTS at $750 or more.  Sadly that $650 I was prepping to spend just doesn't buy much.

Anyone find these prices disheartening?  I never thought I'd see the time when it would take near $2,000 to get started in the TRAD archery world with a nice custom bow and gear, but that's just about what it is.  When I used to talk to my friends and try to get them to switch to TRAD the very first thing they would ask is "HOW MUCH?"  When I would tell them, they would laugh and say "NO WAY."  That's back when prices were no where near what they are now.  I can only imagine what those same friends would say now if I told them about a great looking and shooting bow for $1400!

Looks like my treat will be a USED bow from here on out.  My "LIST" has lines drawn all through it now.

Those of you that can afford to spend the enormous amounts on a bow, my hat's off to ya.  I really am glad that we have a country where builders can demand that kind of money for their bows and there are those that gladly pay it.  I'm just not one of them, and don't think I'll ever be.

Nalajr

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's With the SKY HIGH Prices??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with a used bow except you don't get to choose the wood and your name isn't on it.  Buying used also has the advantage of being reversible, if it's not what you expected you should be able to resell it for what you paid, or very close.  Unless you have spent some time with a certain model bow buying a new one is a bit of a crap shoot, there's lots of nice bows out there but they are all a little different.

It's fun buying new but I went for over 40 years on used bows and don't think I missed a thing.  I also knew exactly what I wanted when I finally did order a new one.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Seriously?  If you think a good bow starts at $1000 or more you are giving up on 90% of the bows on the market and 100% of the bows that the rest of us buy.  My last custom bow was $525 and that was 13 months ago.  The one before that (two years ago) was $500.  You might want to take a look at the alternatives, you may well be pleasantly surprised.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
The latest and greatest thing from Hoyt or Matthews with training wheels will cost about the same as the prices you're complaining about and a year later will be worth half as much.  It was also built by machines.  Most of the high dollar bows you speak of are still built by hand and can take a whole week of long days to build and test...say 1300 bucks divided by 40 hours build time, that's 32.50 per hour covering materials, electricity, any overhead and a meager wage.  It's not that much money for a precision beautiful handmade weapon that can last a lifetime.  The Samicks and what not you speak of are made in a factory.  Comparing them to the high dollar bows isn't fair and doesn't hold much water.  Like you said, buy used or just save your money.  Many of us on here save for months or even years to commission a new custom bow.  You're not going to get much sympathy.  After materials and overhead many bowyers, who generally work out of tiny shops are lucky to make $10/hour for their efforts. They are artists and do it because they love it, not to become millionaires or sell stock.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Nalajr, Get the best you can and go have fun. People are at different places in life financially and you just do what you can wherever you are. I think $750 is a great price for a custom bow when you think about the work and talent it takes to do it notwithstanding the equipment necessary. Custom bowyers are a very special breed and we are fortunate to have so many talented ones around. Check out the classifieds and you might just find something that would surprise you.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Where in my post did I say a "GOOD" bow is $1,000 or more?

If you took $700 and started shopping for a NEW TD Recruve, your list of possible bows would be MUCH SHORTER, by a MILE, than those that were OVER than amount.

Like I said, if YOU want to pay $1,400 for a new bow, I'm glad you have the ability to do just that.

Nalajr

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
There seems to be a ton of bows that usually go for very high prices on the classifieds that are going for half of what they get new,and they are hardly used.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
The good thing about the classifieds is there's no wait. Just trying to be positive  :)

Offline tomcat8910

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
I've bought some very good bows half what they cost new in the classifieds. I'm very happy with a used bow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
I dunno.  I read the initial post again and I simply and emphatically disagree.  Buy some used customs and shoot them and compare them to the Samicks and then come back with a report.  You can't say what custom bows ought to be worth having never owned any.  This whole thing is like a 'no fair no fair' type of deal.  I'm not rich by a long shot but rather planned my moves and tried a lot of used bows before choosing my preferred bowyers, all of which produce a product that is to me and prolly many others worth every dime and then some.  Switch over to collecting guns.  You have any idea how much some custom rifles cost?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
I bought a real nice Hoots recurve off from the classifieds for just over $400. I couldn't be happier! Look for one of the bows from your list on there and you may just get a heck of a deal on a gently used bow like I did.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
if you are open to a couple you mentioned, post a Want Ad (WTB), you might get lucky. I have bought more used bows than new, and have been happy with most.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
Well you mentioned a Bear T/D. I just checked 3R archery and there Bear T/Ds are $819 to $840 that's less than a thousand unless my math is wrong... FYI.. I never thought I would ever be able to own a Black Widow T/D, after selling a couple other bows I got a 2012 model PCH in my poundage for less than half price, OHH and it looks and shoots like brand new.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
I get used bows and my wife gets new ones, difference is, there's always used ones coming on the market in weights I can shoot, and for the wife, not so much, she needs the latest and greatest to even up the elk hunting playing field. Buy a used bow , you will be happy, in fact I know where you can get a smoking hot Chastain Wapiti!  www.rmsgear.com  look for the one with birdseye maple and purple heartwood, it's an experienced killer!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
i know this may be a touchy area (as are all areas that include the different living/lifestyles of everyone) but i do not even have 500 to drop on ANY bow yet a lone 300. i have a wife and a kid on the way so my finances are strapped to say the least; no i am not complaining, i actually feel quite blessed with my life, and i am not begrudging those who have a ton of money. but i have shot bear bows and wheelie bows but my go to bow is a samick sage..a bow that i paid about 150 if you include the kwikee kwiver and ff string, that my wife bought me as a surprise bday gift. sure it was made in a factory and doesnt look custom but when the time counts, i can and easily and have put my life in the hands of this bow. sure its not a black widow or bob lee but it is still a bow none the less. and it still does its job which is to deliver an arrow to a target to provide meat for my family or a paper target to prepare for hunting season. it is a smooth shooter and is pretty quick even tho it is not a bob lee or black widow. but then again back way back when these bows were made by hand and each was his own so long as it did as required. this is a sport for gathering around campfires and telling stories and providing for ones family-not one for judging who has the best...lets leave that to the wheelie guys who seem to have have the latest greatest and fastest every year    :knothead:
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 05:38:00 AM »
Ive had lots of bows and purchased over a dozen in one year paying up to 1700.00 for one. But I bought my Dad a samick sage as he was switching from 40yrs yrs of left handed to right handed handed shooting because of shoulder issues and it was the best 130.00 ive ever spent on archery gear. The bow is a 40lbs but they come as high as 60lbs,  we have had alot of fun with it and does its job as well as any bow ive owned, it makes its owner happy.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 05:59:00 AM »
I would love to drive Ferrari and have a whole collection of Rolex but have you seen the prices on them things? Thats life, I should of been a surgeon or opened a Dunkin Donuts chain instead of being a cop. Some purchases are just not the right ones for an individuals budget, so we just dont buy them and move on, all we can do.   :dunno:

Offline 10point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
I agree,,, a lot of bows are over priced, especially the more popular name brands. As long as people are willing to pay these high prices, they will prevail. There are some more reasonably priced bows out there. Over the past few years I have owned 3 recurves and 1 longbow that I purchased from Tim Finley of Kota Bows. All were priced between $550 and $650, all beautifully made, all custom built and all shoot great. I had Tim replace one of them that came in under weight but that was done at no charge. I doubt that I will ever part with any of them.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Most Bows today are built by a machine, cnc risers are The norm! That sais there are a lot of bows that can be had For $650-750, RER, Timberghost,Hill Bows, BIG Jim, Kanati, tons of them! I agree you can get s usec Bow that was 11 to 1400 For 700 and under! I just sae a Caibow that was easily 1200 New and it sold For 600 or so and it was only 4 months old! Shop around a bit, lots to be haf For $650!  Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©