3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's With the SKY HIGH Prices??  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's With the SKY HIGH Prices??
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
I have heard people say they could never afford to go to Africa. Nonsense. Those same people drive expensive vehicles by expensive coffee etc. If you want it bad enough 20 bucks in a coffee can adds up. I have a few more years but I'm going to Africa.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
Take a look at Big Foot Bows Nala. i can build something that fits you to a Tee for $650- $750.. Kirk
There ya go!  :thumbsup:

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
There are many bowyers who are not that expensive. Howard Hill is a good example.

I bought two custom bows who are more expensive. The fancy woods, checkered grips, exotic veneers, antler options, multiple wood risers does not make it better bows, they just make your hearth sing every time you grap them for a shoot.
Every time I see my expensive custom made for me Peregrine, my hearth is filled with joy, the same for my Phoenix. Craftmanship is something you have to pay for and mostly it are the options that make a bow more expensive.

I made the choice for custom bows and have to save hard for it. But I think it is money well spend, the feeling I get when I shoot them and see them can't be expressed in money!

Amen to that!

PS: RER bows are great shooters and they start at 650. Kirk made you a great offer too.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
I bought a nice, single wood, custom made, 3 piece hybrid longbow by RER at one of the Wisconsin Deer and Turkey shows about 3 years ago.
I paid $650.
I bought another custom made, 3 piece, charcoal actionwood, chechan, and black glass, static tip recurve by RER about a year ago.
I paid $650.
Both these bows were new.
Both these bows are custom made by two fine people, Kevin and Sue TerrMatt.
They care more about whether you are happy with their product than whether or not they make a lot of money building them.
Both these bows are of the finest build quality you will find in the market.
Both these bows shoot very, very well.
Like many other custom bowyers...Kevin and Sue also will build you a bow for $1200 or more if you like.
I think they will tell you the same thing I will tell you...their $1200 plus bows don't shoot any better than their $650 ones.
I could go on and on...but my point is this...

Even if you want new, YOU have a lot to say about how much you spend.

If you, like I, don't need four kinds of exotic, woods with the fancy overlays etc. that are time consuming to build, you, like I, can buy a custom, fine quality, new, great shooting bow for 1/2 of the $1300 you are complaining about.
There are many other bowyers like RER who offer Hunter models.
Check Zipper, or Stalker or some of the other makers already listed here.
Or, as has been suggested, you can spend some time looking, and go used.
The choice is yours and good luck!
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
I don't make a lot of money, but I can buy whatever bow I want.  

Just not "right now".  

It can't be an impulse purchase.  I would have to save $20 from 50 paychecks to pay $1,000 for a bow.  That's what I did when I bought my Black Widow longbow.  I saved for a long time, then sold something that I really didn't want to sell... but now I have a bow that I enjoy more today than I did when it came in 2 years ago.  

I've also bought 2 or 3 bows on Craigslist, which were the best deals I've gotten on bows.  If you keep your eyes open, there are fantastic deals out there.  I know a guy who recently bought an as-new ACS 3-piece longbow for $500.  There was a virtually new Black Widow PSA at Compton for sale for $600.  

If you do your homework, and are a person with the self-control to squirrel away a few dollars on a regular basis, and can get by with something basic while saving for the "big one", you can probably get whatever bow you want.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I don't make a lot of money, but I can buy whatever bow I want.  

Just not "right now".  

It can't be an impulse purchase.  I would have to save $20 from 50 paychecks to pay $1,000 for a bow.  That's what I did when I bought my Black Widow longbow.  I saved for a long time, then sold something that I really didn't want to sell... but now I have a bow that I enjoy more today than I did when it came in 2 years ago.  

If you do your homework, and are a person with the self-control to squirrel away a few dollars on a regular basis, and can get by with something basic while saving for the "big one", you can probably get whatever bow you want.
^^^^^This exactly^^^^^.

If someone can save $300, they can save $1500.  They can deliver pizzas on weekends...or they can have a garage sale...or they can give up smokes and lotto tickets.....  There's a million ways to get it done.  There are 15 bazillion excuses as to why you "can't".

Don't settle for what you don't want.  Figure out what you want...then find a way to get it done.
Otto

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
There are times I wish we had a like button like Facebook...lol

Otto quote: "Don't settle for what you don't want. Figure out what you want...then find a way to get it done."

I love your way of thinking Otto!!

God bless,Mudd

PS: I am a product of the 50's and as the result I see everything as over priced...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
I agree with MUDD, something else is going on here and Nala has to figure out what is best for Nala.

I set my limits as to what I am willing to spend on any item and move on from there. If someone else spends more, that their business. it's not for me to be judge and jury.

I seriously doubt you will find any millionaire bowyers out there. They make beautifully crafted bows and make an honest living.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
I just got my Hoyt Desperado in the mail today...you will not find much information on a Hoyt Desperado because Hoyt only made them for one year in 1996...it is not a custom bow exactly but I am sure that they were made with great care and attention to detail...that is obvious from just a quick examination of the bow...I bought that bow from the classifieds and yes it is used...very gently used...I have seen shop worn bows that looked a lot worse...did I mention I paid 300 dollars for that bow...and another 300 for a great looking and shooting Pilgrim longbow that also arrived in the mail today...so with your 650 buck limit I would have two amazing bows and 50 bucks left over...never been a better time in history to own some really nice used bows

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by LYONEL:
"Snipershot 317"
I love your attitude!
+1! Just loved out hunting guys with my bargain basement Ruger with Tasco scope. Heck I would trade my custom rig for that old rifle combo if my young lungs and legs were thrown in the deal to boot lol.
"Till The Wheels Fall Off"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
Some said to post a "want to buy add", I fully agree. I wanted a Black Widow, I posted an add with what I was looking for and in about 2 1/2 weeks I got a PM from a fella that had what I was looking for at a fantastic price. The bow was only 6 weeks old and I got it for just over 1/2 price. It can be done!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
I completely agree that if you want it, you can figure out how to get it.  I am in graduate school which is meager pay at best and have purchased two black widows that were used from here and were worth every penny.  Just have to figure out a way (besides selling drugs or something haha)
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
i wasnt trying to stir the pot or aggravate anyone, its just my way of thinking. even as a younger generation i remember shopping with my parents and still deem everything as overpriced and cheaper quality..but thats besides the point.    :p   there are things that i would love to do like an out of state hunt (anywhere for anything) cause i think it would be fun, go after an axis deer with my recurve or smoke pole (been a child hood dream since i saw the pictures at neighbors house and thought that it was a very graceful animal and hear their stories), or one that requires no money-just being able to be a good enough shot to be able to shoot a 4in group at 25 yards    :knothead:   ...May God bless and shoot straight and remember to have fun. its why i dropped the wheelie for a stick in the first place  ;)

ps: if your looking for good deals check the classifieds, craigslist, and never overlook ****..found my quivers and other archery stuff there for cheap with sometimes free shipping    :D
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Just got my new TBM today--nice article on this very thing.  The author talks about shooting his $339 Bear Grizzly and his $1000+ custom longbow.  No spoilers here--just look forward to the article.

Up above on this thread somebody mentioned Rolex watches.....allow me to share my thoughts.  I would NEVER, EVER spend $5000 on a wrist watch.  But, a couple in the church from which I retired as pastor a few years ago, who were financially plenty able to do so, gifted my wife and me both with Rolex watches near the end of my tenure there.  The gift sort of took my breath due to the extremely generous nature of it and the long relationship I had with those fine folks. I knew what those watches cost. But, Rolex watches have to be one of the most over-hyped things in the world!  Having had it now for a few years I can say that it does not keep any better time than the Timex watches I have been used to buying for myself.  All this watch does is give me the time of day and day of the month--that's it. I don't need a $5000 instrument to do that. I think it's a lot like the bow discussion.  I have a lot of bows on my rack that I have come by over the years and recently scored a prized Schulz Trophy Hunter to go with my Hills, Northern Mists, and some less expensive but well constructed bows.  There is essentially no difference in how they shoot. In fact, one of the least known bowyer's work on my rack may well be the best shooter of the bunch. I love the Schulz and it has no doubt a permanent spot on my rack, but I have yet to pick up any bow by any maker--and I have been at this game a looooong time--that just blew me out of the water and made me think somebody had discovered the holy grail of bows.  They are all made from the same stuff--various sorts of boards cut into lams and sandwiched between fiberglass or carbon with epoxy.  There is only so much that can be done with them--it ain't rocket science. If you like and can afford a Rolex and want to spend your money that way--have at it.  If you want a bow that costs $1500--do it.  You live in America (or most of us here do)--you can do that!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Have to agree with the Flying D you can buy an RER with say a Chechen riser and red elm limbs in the Arroyo or Retro for $600 and they are phenominal performers. Kirk can make you a very nice bow as well. Lots of choices and Kirks bows are great shooters too!! Used is a very good way to go as well! Shawn
Shawn

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
If you don't want to spend $1,000 for a bow, then don't.  There are plenty of bowyers making great bows for quite a bit less.  I don't really know what all the fuss is about.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
No matter how much is in my bank account I will always be a bargain hunter. I have bought used except on two occasions.  One new bow was a heavier lefty the bowyer had trouble selling so I got a steal at $625. The other, my first "custom" I picked a solid riser and basic limb veneer for $525. Most of the other bows that past through my hands cost under $100.00
On affording the new bows: I drive older paid for vehicles, don't have credit cards or borrow money, live in a smaller home, etc. To qoute Dave Ramsey, I "lived like no one else so that latef I could live like no one else."
A good friend is a very gifted bowyer who works tirelessly in his shop. He does side work when he can. And struggles to make ends meet. Ever work on something for a week and have a customer not satisfied so you have to work another week to make it right? They miss weight, have material failures, deal with customers with unreal expectations about the consistency in color and patern of natural products. ....
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
If you think about it money and trad bows both actually grow on trees.   ;)  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Good one Rob!  :laughing:  My 50# Kingwood was a 7 year growth tree!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob W.:
If you think about it money and trad bows both actually grow on trees.    ;)    

Rob
American paper currency is actually made from cotton, but you still made me chuckle  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©