3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ted Fry/Raptor Archery Bowhunt-Texas  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ted Fry/Raptor Archery Bowhunt-Texas
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Perfect Ted!! I'm watchin.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Any pictures???

Bill

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
Yeah Ted post some pics. LOL. We had a great time with Curtis when we were there too. Curtis is #1 in my book and I will be going back in the near future. Waiting on the rest of the story.  :campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
I really am ashamed that I didn't take any pictures down there.  I have way more $$ invested in photo gear than I do in archery gear.  My buddy John managed a few though.

This is what the terrain mostly looked like:

It all looks the same from the road but when you get out and walk across it, it is amazing how different it is.

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
Here is a closeup of some of the vegetation.  I managed to get a little too close to several of the thorns down there.  I even had a big one penetrate the sole of my boot and go about a quarter inch into my foot!

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
My group saw javelinas during every hunt.  Most of the time we just watched them, it was really cool to see how they react to each other.  You would think that the biggest would be the boss, but that wasn't always the case.  Sometimes a smaller one would be dominant and run the larger one away from the food.

Offline biglegmax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
I wish I had taken some pictures, but I'm terrible about that, and probably couldn't figure out how to post them anyway. I'm not very good at the story telling either so I will leave that up to Ted and others.

First I wanted to say thanks to Curtis for the great hunt. He goes out of his way to make everything right. Those little Javies are fun to hunt and I would recommend it to anyone. You noticed I called them Little, I am sure Bill and I saw at least one that went a hundred pounds or more, right Bill? ( one of those little yellow faces should be here)

I am new to this Trad business, butt was introduced to a new tool, apparatice, I'm not sure exactly what you would call it, that looked pretty impressive. Ted being the original Trad man, was not real cooperitive about sharing his vast knowledge using this device. He rarely would let it out of his sight. I am hoping he will come forward and share his experience, possibly do a video, and build along. I think this thing could be crafted from Osage, or an elk antler. It would fit nicely in your fanny-pack, or rear- pocket and would make you a real traditional bow hunter.....
Looking forward to your story Ted.

Thanks to all the guys on the hunt, I had a blast...Doug

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
On the third day, my dad connected with a javelina.  This was the first animal he took with traditional gear in about 30 years. When we got back to camp he was like a little kid, reliving the shot as he described it to us.  He said this hunt was the best Christmas present he had ever received and he made John and I promise that we would all go back next year.

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
When I think back on this hunt, what stands out most vividly is the number of times we saw game, the tips I picked up from Curtis, Ted and the others, the scenery and the incredible sunsets.  Pictures don't do them justice but here is a taste of what we saw:

Those memories will stay with me long after the javelina meat is gone from the freezer.  Looking forward to experiencing it again next year.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Great pictures!!! Thanks for sharing.

Bill

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
jbb,
That pic of your dads javi looks like its still screaming.
Congrats to all of you .
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
Sorry guys , like I said my digital died so I was reduced to old fashioned film. That is beig processed to pics as well as dvd right now, as soon as that is finished I will post a few.
Maybe Sean will get in here and post not only some of his stories but photos as well.
Big leg , I think I will let Sean explain the new tool as it was his purchase at the Wallmart in Odessa.
I do feel that you will do fine on a little story telling however so now is a good time to break the ice, how about watching Sean stalk rabbits on the last day? Or even better all 6 of us in the rental van with all our gear.
OK back to the hunting.
Curtis and I had corned a good stretch of an old overgrown road or pipeline that was seldom traveled by anything but hogs and Javies the day before so we were eager to see what that produced,
as we rounded the corner that would give us about a quarter of a mile of west Texas scenery we spotted a group of five or six Javelina feeding about the end of where we could see.
We cut a wide path trying to gain the wind in our face, we could see one of the Javelina's back shining in the hot sun as he moved through the tall grass. Ooops sorry guys gotta get back to work, be back soon.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
As I peeked around a small Mesquite bush I caught sight of the band moving to my left , I had to back up and make a wider circle to keep the wind in my favor.
We had moved into an area with small mounds ( Curtis calls them ridges) The Javelina were standing in the bottom of a small gully (canyon in west Texas).
I saw Curtis round the brush catching up to me with camera running , two of the Javelina were having a small squable and were jousting with their tusks, one lost and turned to leave going to the right by himself .
I hurried as best I could to get around him and at one point had to run as fast and quietly as I could in the tall grass.
There he was 25 yards and moving to the right.
I drew my new proto type bamboo takedown Talon that I had made for this trip , anchored and proceded to put an arrow right over his back ,  Curtis was there with the camera to catch it all
We lauged for a bit then remembered there were still several more just over the ridge.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Man those west Texas Sunsets are something to behold aren't they?

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Meanwhile my buddy Sean was hidding out in a ground blind along one of the many dirt pump station roads in the area.
Bill had made a great shot early on taking this nice Javelina, maybe he will get on and tell his story? Bill? Bill are you there?
Back to the Curtis and Ted show.
We started working our way closer to the group of Javies as they milled around in a patch of thick brush, closer and closer.
At one point when we were about 10 yards away one got up and walked outside the brush to look around for what looked like a food quest.
He started our way but decided to join the bunch again under the brush and what little shade it offered.
Tall grass grew all around the perimeter of their little fort out of the sun making a tough job of telling what was where as they moved about.
I worked up more, ever so slowly with the steady wind in my face, checking to see if Curtis was behind me, he was.
The Javelina then decided to bed down , here I was croutched  5 yards from the group with nothing to do but wait for one to stand and give me a clear shot.
Thats when Curtis whispered to me " Hey we have to do something quick , I am running out of disc space on the camera.
With nothing left to decide I stood up hoping that the Javelina would do the same, but no , they decided to rocket out of the brush scattering in all directions, I followed one running to the left, as he stopped with a very small window of what I hoped was my chance for a shot. I drew and released in one smooth action and watched my arrow bury into about a 2" diameter branch just in front of the intended target, AARRGG! Curtis of course got all that on film as well. He also managed to zoom in real close to the arrow and pointed out that I couldnt of killed that tree any better.
Back to camp with the hat of humility, knowing that it wasnt a total failure as we did have a great stalk and shared a great evening together doing what we both love.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
The next day was pretty slow,I sat for awhile at a stand with no morning action other than all the quail that came and went as well as doves and Cedar waxwings.
Another beautiful Texas sunrise with the thumping and squeking oil rigs in the distance, funny each one has a different noise, you can learn to identify which one is running by the sound if you sit long enough. You dont hear them as well in the evening as the winds blows covering the sounds.
This also makes afternoon a better time to spot and stalk.
As luck would have it Curtis and I were once again on the back section of this 650,000 acre ranch trying to move in on another Javelina and get some good film footage as well.
I dont need to tell very many of you out there filming and hunting at the same time is tough, it adds a whole new twist to stalking.
As I closed in on a lone Javelina with Curtis in tow we ran out of cover . This Javie was on edge , he must have seen a bit of movement or just plain was spooked in general. We couldnt get any closer. We quickly decided to change plans with me making a wide half circle around the Javelina coming in down the road and down wind with Curtis trying to push him my way.
I went further than intended and came out way down the road, better safe than sorry was my thought on this.
Curtis saw me cross the dirt road and get on the downwind side of the intended path of the Javelina ,so he started walking toward my stand.
The Javelina could see him and kept him at about 25 yards distance moving forward every time Curtis moved forward. The trick was for Curtis not to push him so hard that he would bolt for cover.
Light was fading quickly and the Javelina was about 35 yards away moving my direction, just hang on he will be here soon I kept telling myself, dont rush it , control your excitement.
There he stood in no time at about 6 -8 yards, he turned slightly quartered away and I knew it was time , quick, draw , shoot and watch the arrow sail about 1/2" over his back.
As I stood the in total amazement with Curtis snickering in the background the Javelina headed to Mexico.
The next day started warmer than any we had seen yet , oh boy today is going to be a scorcher Curtis said as he poured a cup of Coffee , "You Northern boys are going to cook today".
He was right 85 degrees in January is not what any of us from the northern side of Oregon are used to.
I chose to sit at the water tank that I had seen a big beautiful Mule deer buck a couple of days ago with nothing spotted again , the hogs had been there , yes enough to make it look like there had been a convention there not long ago, just not when I was there.
Bill and Scott needed to leave that day so I headed in early to take them to Odessa and their flight out. As I arrived in camp Curtis decided he wanted me out on the other side of the ranch hunting and he would run them to town, he got no argument from me.
I couldnt help but think of all the rib poking I was going to get on our return after shooting so poorly  with the new proto type bow, I needed a chance to redeem myself.
Curtis dropped me at the back side of the west of the ranch , turned the truck around and headed back to camp , his last words rang in my ears as he chuckled out of sight " Dont overshoot this time".
No sooner had the dust settled and out popped some Javelina, there they were about a quarter of a mile away and feeding my direction.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Good Stuff guys........looks like you had a blast!

Thanks for sharing!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
What a great hunt, looks like a place i'd like to "visit" some day...congrats guys    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
OK , lets see , where were we. Oh yeah settling dust, Javelina feeding my direction.
I had plenty of time to figure out a plan as I had about a quarter of a mile of country to cover before getting close, I took my time in the hot mid day sun. The Javelina were to the west of me and the wind was from the south so I placed myself downwind and tried to keep the sun from effecting my sight. I would have preffered to have the sun at my back thus effecting the sight of the Javelina but that would not happen on this stalk.
There was an oil pump and the pad they are placed on just before the foraging group of Javelina,the pad was wide open offering no cover, I had to get to the other side of this to set up an ambush.
No sooner had I gotten to the other side of the pad I spotted the first of the Javies still feeding and oblivious of my aproach, he paused and in true Javelina fashion tried to figure out what I was and if I was any kind of threat . Good thing he must have seen the way I had been shooting  as he went back to feeding knowing I was not a threat.
I drew the bamboo bow , picked a spot low and behind the shoulder, and just before I released heard Curtis in the back ground chuckling " Dont over shoot the next one, Ha Ha Ha".
Well I lowered my bow hand just a bit more and released, I saw the arrow pass throught the Javelina right where I was looking.
He ran a short distance and stood with his back to me, he was having trouble staying on all four legs but still standing. Due to the open country I decided to move up and put another arrow in him.
As I moved forward he spotted me and bolted to the left , paused and came right at me whoofing and snorting all puffed up with his hackles raised. I didnt waste any time getting an arrow headed his way, it buried halfway up in his shoulder and he blew up , circling and snarling then dropped.
It was several minutes before I exhaled and realized what had happened , I had done it , I didnt overshoot , here was my Javelina. I also realized I would get a whole lot less ribbing after this, WHEW!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Which one of them critters is what???????????????????????????? bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©