3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold Weather Clothing  (Read 708 times)

Offline stringmusic

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold Weather Clothing
« on: September 05, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
Hey guys,

I have a question.  I always get cold on the stand.  I am trying to revamp my clothing system this year a little bit.  I will be getting some better base layers but I am curious what you all use for outerwear?  I am thinking some form of bibs and jacket combo.  Any ideas? I am in college and on a budget so cost is a factor as well.  Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold Weather Clothing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
wool!!!!!!  it sometimr=es makes you hot when walking to your stand but very comfy when you arew in your stand
St. Joe River Bows

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Heater Body Suit.......

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
WOOL! WOOL! WOOL!
Find some new or used at an Army/Navy store and enjoy those cold days in quiet comfort.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Spend the money and get some (Klar) Ullfrotte Wool long Underwear.  It's amazing stuff..much better than the Filson Alaskan long underwear I also have.

Johnson Mills bibs or Codet Bibs from #bay are very inexpensive, but very warm.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
I likw wool, it's hard to beat. What college are you attending this year. For your budget you can always find great deals in the bargin cave at Cabela's. I found a pair of insulated pants in there for $35.00, zipper was broken. they were regularly $100.00 pants. Just remember you can't return anything bought in the bargin cave.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Ulfrotte is great stuff, but I've since moved over to Justin Charles and Autumnwood for wool undies...best stuff going. A lightweight and a heavyweight will carry you from "hoooo---llll----y crrrrr--aaaa---ppp, iiii-t's ccccc-old" all the way to "it feels like beach weather".

For an outer layer, the Day One camo or Greywolf is hard to beat price and quality wise...other top names didn't get there by accident...Autumnwood is my fave, w/ KOM, SI...being very close 1A's

I have all of it...I mean ALL...save and don't skimp, you'll end up buying it eventually.

There is no such thing as too cold, wet or whatever for me regarding weather...if I don't go out, it's the 'Day After Tomorrow' and there are bigger fish to fry  ;)

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by bjk:
Ulfrotte is great stuff, but I've since moved over to Justin Charles and Autumnwood for wool undies...best stuff going. A lightweight and a heavyweight will carry you from "hoooo---llll----y crrrrr--aaaa---ppp, iiii-t's ccccc-old" all the way to "it feels like beach weather".

Thanks for the heads up...I've never heard of Justin Charles, and I didn't know Autumnwood had underwear.

Looks like I have to do some research now    :banghead:

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
You'll hate me for making you spend money, but you'll thank me later  ;)

I have the heavyweight Justin Charles that is just awesome for a wool sweatshirt...none better.  The lightweight Autumnwood is real nice...IMO, nicer than ulfrotte...similar cost, better quality.

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
Wool, outside and something to wick away moisture as a base layer, same for your feet, hands and head. A cheap way to protect yourself from the wind is a thin layer of nylon under your wool. I try to keep my feet as dry as possible, try unscented antiperspirant or a drying powder. Smartwool socks are great, they will last and perform better if wash and dryed inside out. You can also help protect your feet by covering the base of your stand to break the wind.

Offline stringmusic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
So basically everyone is together on the wool thing! lol.... so I will start looking at some different options.  I like the bib/jacket idea.  Any other brands to look at?  What about the Columbia stuff? Is it any good?

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
I've got some Columbia Gallitin Range stuff, and it's OK for medium temp fall weather, but not late season cold stand hunting.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
OK...I'll be different. Sitka Gear. Check the sponsor list and check it out. Not as bulky as wool and a good system of layering to keep you warm on stand. Also search for a recent Sitka Gear thread on Tradgang.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline stringmusic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
McGeeM, I am at Miami University in Ohio.  Its a great place and I can even fish everyday! lol...so it makes the classes more acceptable

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
Once you get a chill  in the core you cannot properly shoot . Ground blind is usually a bit more comfortable and warmer. Keeping the string fingers warm is the trick. I found the best way for that is a huge shearling Mitten attached to my belt with some belt loops. When your waiting you just slip the gloved hand into the shearling and it will stay warm. When you need it it slips right out quietly.Good Thermal underwear is a must.Fleece and wool only.

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
Easiest way to stay warm is to tag out early or hunt down south. A few other tricks I've picked over the years are, neck gaiters,glove linners and lots of hand warmers. Body warmers over your kidneys work wonders. I put toe warmers on my arms, I put them between my bicep & triceps on the underside. This keeps the blood warm as it flow to the fingers. I put wool in the tops of my rubber boots to help retain heat on my feet. I carry extra hats and gloves and change if they get wet. Just a few things that work for me.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
1. Fleece camo mask with neck gater. Nice wool watch cap from Navy store on top.
2. Under wear: a. Polar Max
                        b. Patagonia fleece
                        d. Cold gear (under armor) some times I just wear this and put on my clothes once I get to my blind.
3. If real cold, fleece pants, then Wool bib over top. (no fleece pants unless below zero)
4. fuzzy layer on top for air pockets to hold warmth.
5. wool sweater lined with sheerling with wind shear.
6. I like Ultimax socks (wool).

I think you are getting the idea.   :campfire:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Check out hidden wolf stuff. Sometimes on their website they will have returned mechandise for a bargain.  Hard to beat that stuff in my opinion.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Stringmusic

I'm a Redskin!!!!  Graduated in 1983.

Wanna know what my 5 years there cost back then????
Otto

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
stringmusic, I was just wondering since I'm from Ohio. Good luck with school.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©