3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Piggy backers  (Read 223 times)

Offline khall1

• Trad Bowhunter
Piggy backers
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Any of you guys have any experience using piggy backers while hunting?  My quiver holds 4 arrows and I would like to carry a judo point with me. Any issues?
58" Great Plains-Red River 57#@28
60" Bob Lee-Hunter 60#@28
62" Toelke Whip 57#@28

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Piggy backers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
They work great. Put onto the last broadhead tipped arrow you are likely to draw
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
Your mileage may vary.  Probably depends on your style and the country you hunt.

I tried using them for elk hunting and decided they were truly worthless.  Arrows moved around too much, snagged on stuff, and regularly got pulled loose.  On several occasions I lost one, then had a loose arrow and nowhere to put it.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cootling:
Your mileage may vary.  Probably depends on your style and the country you hunt.

I tried using them for elk hunting and decided they were truly worthless.  Arrows moved around too much, snagged on stuff, and regularly got pulled loose.  On several occasions I lost one, then had a loose arrow and nowhere to put it.
X2... Much better off just getting a 5 arrow quiver IMO
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
If you can fit the head inside the hood and just use a piggybacker on the back end of the arrow it will work better and not let the arrow twist around or get hung up on brush and pull out.
here is a video on how i made a 5 arrow quiver into a 6 arrow quiver with a piggybacker.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »
I have used them with good success.

My favorite bow quiver is 1/2 of a PiggyBacker lashed to the lower fade-out and a sheath/hood lashed to the upper fade out to make a one-arrow bow quiver.  I use a side-stalker for the remaining arrows.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:52:00 AM »
Works great for me holding a Judo.  The judo fits inside my hood and because of the  way the arrow is in my quiver is snug and there is no movement or anything. I'm using a Great Northern quiver on my recurve.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
I would recommend using a piggy backer at the end of the arrow and then attach a half biggy backer to the hood with a screw.
There is less movement this way

as above two piggy backers allow the arrow to move too much IMO
Slickhead

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
When I'm packing in, I sometimes use a piggy backer or two to carry in one or two extra arrows.  Once at camp, the extra arrows stay in camp and I hunt with a 4-arrow quiver, one arrow is a blunt.  If I should need another arrow or two, I don't need to do a half-day or day hike back to the truck/base camp to get them.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
They are nice for hunting. But will pivot around on ya. And I have pulled that arrow for a shot and the piggy backers stuck to the arrow instead of the arrow that's attar he'd to the quiver. Hen I have a critter that needs shot and I'm fussing pulling the piggy backer off my shaft so I can shoot it.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
I used them in the past and if on stand and not stalking they worked great. I did modify one to use on my side quiver for a squirrel arrow and it works great!

Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
A simple solution that works really well.

Offline khall1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Slickhead:
I would recommend using a piggy backer at the end of the arrow and then attach a half biggy backer to the hood with a screw.
There is less movement this way

as above two piggy backers allow the arrow to move too much IMO
Slickhead- Took your advice, modified my quiver and I think it's going to work great.  I'll find out this weekend.  Thanks everybody.
58" Great Plains-Red River 57#@28
60" Bob Lee-Hunter 60#@28
62" Toelke Whip 57#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©