3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is a good lubricant for better penetration for wood arrows with no smell?  (Read 375 times)

Offline Softstep

• Trad Bowhunter
I shoot a  longbow on the lower end of good deer hunting weight and usually penetrate both lungs on a deer (20 yards and under) but my arrow never comes completely out or even sticks our on the other side. I got both lungs on 2 different hogs as well - maybe in the 275-300 lb range.
I hunt where there are lots of hogs and need all the penetration I can get. My hog shots so far were very low and behind the shield so I had the best possible chance for penetration in those situations.  I'd also like to have 2 holes in deer regularly for a better blood trail. We talk a lot about penetration and carefully watch things like matching the broadhead bevel with  left and right wing feather spin - cause Dr Ashby says we cancel out a lot of our penetration if we cross mix those two factors.  We worry over 2 blades vs 2, and of course add a lot more arrow weight, but why do we almost never see any talk about  making our arrows slicker?  Wouldn't that help a lot?  So, what would be a good lubricant for wood and metal that you could put on after you nock your arrow on the hunt and would not have a give away smell? How many of you do that now,and what do you use?  
 I realize I could shoot a heavier weight but I'm 71 years  old and used to shoot a lot of 3-D competition. I've seen a ton of people over bowed
who could have shot great if they had dropped some pounds. So I think being able to hit the spot out ranks more weight,but I'd still like to help my arrow a little bit. Any good ideas?

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
well, i am a fly fisherman and mainly fish dry flies i put silicone on my flies and my fly line ,really shoots, you can get spray that works,plus will keep your feathers dry in the rain,you want to get fly fish specific silicone though, not the stuff for coats and shoes, no smell, good luck !

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
well, i am a fly fisherman and mainly fish dry flies i put silicone on my flies and my fly line ,really shoots, you can get spray that works,plus will keep your feathers dry in the rain,you want to get fly fish specific silicone though, not the stuff for coats and shoes, no smell, good luck !

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
I use Ivory soap for 3D targets and no smell and helps get the arrows out of targets. I also put a light coat on my hunting arrows as well. It does seem to help in penetration for live game and sure helps in getting wood arrows out of 3D targets. As my grandson once said it makes them slippery to me....
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I note that Magnus broadheads are Teflon coated, which is advertised to increase penetration.  Don't know if any tests have been done to validate this.

I'm 69, in the same boat as you are, weight-wise.  Also have shot a lot of 3D, and have used the stuff that makes it easier to pull arrows out of 3D targets, at times, but don't know if it would increase penetration on live animals.  Would be nice if there were some tests, like Ashby did, as sometimes these things don't work out like we would imagine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
I think once the broadhead has penetrated the animal then the fluids from the body such as blood would provide enough lubricant to render the arrow shaft "slick".

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi Charles,  Here's a couple ideas.  First, the lubricant issue can't hurt.  Whether it be silicon, soap or just a very slick finish on your arrows - any of it should help.  The other is the diameter of the arrows you use.  I just measured a couple arrows;  New CE250's and an old skinny Beman Hunter 70/90.  The difference in circumference and therefore the contact surface is 22%.  Granted you would like to use wood but maybe you can find some old Forgewood shafts to use or try some of the new skinny carbons.  The next is the work by Dr. Ashby that you have already alluded to - increase your FOC to 20-25% if you haven't already, it's made a significant difference to my setup.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
car wax makes them real slick---
if they smell your arrows -they have already smelled you!
Mike

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Softstep,

Sounds like you are doing all you can ... Most poundage to shoot with good accuracy, shooting 20 yards and under etc.

Pete is correct relative to the diameter of a larger shaft reducing penetration.  However if you are a died in the wool woodie shooter, then so be it ... I shoot only wood shafts as well.  I think physics is working against you as the lower poundage bow only yields so much energy.  However, you did not mention which broad head you shoot.  A longer, narrower head will give you a higher mechanical advantage ... Kinda like adding horse power to your shot.  You may get more penetration from this change.

Good luck!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline wandering monk

• Trad Bowhunter
borden makes a product called "slip spray or maybe its slide spray? its basically a teflon spray I initially used on cabinet drawer glides, but found it worked great on wood arrows to help pull them from excelsior bales...

maybe this would be of use for you...its an orange/blue/white can at the hardware store...
ted/wandering monk
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
Seriously??

Think about this.

The only time one cares about penetration is when you hit an animal, correct??

So you hit an animal...and when the skin is penetrated, and the arrow shaft enters the body....what does it encounter???

Blood, fat, muscle, tissue......Slick slimy stuff.

Not to mention that just about any broadhead makes a hole larger than the diameter of the shaft.

You don't need lubrication on an arrow to aid penetration in a critter.
Otto

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
if you are getting into both lungs then it is more an issue of arrow weight, etc. I agree with Otto...I do not think this is a "lubrication" issue....  :dunno:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline wandering monk

• Trad Bowhunter
thats all pretty to the point I guess...it doesnt hurt to keep a protective layer on you arrows anyway...and for my purposes it does make it easier to pull arrows from a target.

I agree that a sharp broadhead from a straight flying arrow is the #1 deal in what we do.
ted/wandering monk
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Gene Wensel puts "slick em" on his arrow shafts and says it aids in penetration..  He uses tire gel..

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
I use Black Magic Tire wet. Big Hog Shields are cartilage and can and will pinch back.  This I know for a fact.  If never killed a thick shielded hog, you don't know.  

Yes, it smells initial...but goes away....they will smell you 1st anyway...no need to worry about the arrows.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Skates

• Trad Bowhunter
If Gene and Terry take the time to do it, and say it helps then I'm all for it.  Those two kill a lot of critters not just hogs.  I also know of 'entry burn'.  Friction from speed of contact at entry can dry out very fast, and since most guys use two blades shaft pinch is an issue.  Yes Seriously!     :D

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Otto:
Seriously??

Think about this.

The only time one cares about penetration is when you hit an animal, correct??

So you hit an animal...and when the skin is penetrated, and the arrow shaft enters the body....what does it encounter???

Blood, fat, muscle, tissue......Slick slimy stuff.

Not to mention that just about any broadhead makes a hole larger than the diameter of the shaft.

You don't need lubrication on an arrow to aid penetration in a critter.
You should listen to this guy x2
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
If you are tuned to perfection, the biggest improvement would be gained by upping your arrow weight.  You don't sound like thats an option, there have been a couple good suggestions here and I've also heard of using Pam cooking spray though I've never tried it.

The new STOS Classic Ceramic broadheads are super slick, as are the teflon coated Eclipse heads those might be an option for you as well.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I also use the Black Magic Tire Wet.I'm shooting carbons and I first buff the shaft with 0000 steel wool,then buff with a paper towel then apply the Tire Wet.It is a good idea to do it a week or so ahead of the season to let them air out.

It does make a difference.A broadhead does open up a decent hole and the arrow does contact some slick stuff but that doesn't mean there is zero friction.If there were zero friction,the arrow would not slow down at all.Even shooting into a swimming pool puts drag on an arrow-way more than shooting through the air.

For my setups,every little bit helps.I use one arrow for everything,deer to elk and want to do everything I can to increase penetration,especially since these days I'm having to shoot bows in the low 50# range.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
I think you guys might be over thinking this.
If you think about it all the arrow does is deliver the broad head with force behind it.
All the cutting is done by the head,the arrow just follows in the path cut into the animal.
Personally I never worry about slicking up my shafts. I concentrate on having razor sharp blades .
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©