3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is a good lubricant for better penetration for wood arrows with no smell?  (Read 374 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
I've used the Mothers Tire Gel -- it has a pleasent fruity smell... I let them air out anyway..

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey,

Another thing you can do to improve penetration is get the most efficient bow you can. For example if you shoot a D style long bow with no r/d you have already lost a lot of velocity and power. If you switch over to a hybrid longbow even in the same weight you will get improve velocity. Perhaps even a recurve would be something to look into. Efficiency of bow design will go a long way toward improving your penetration. Also consider switching to 5/16 shafts over 11/32. Twig has 5/16 ramin at lower pound ages and a good price.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
Softstep would you mind posting the type of bow, weight at your draw and the weight of the arrows you are shooting?  I shoot lower poundage too.  I think the gang here could help you more if they knew what your set up was.  It would help me as well.  Thanks.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Star Brite Marine Polish with PTEF!  It's predecessor had Teflon and was used on racing boats to make the hull slicker.  From what I read of Teflon, it doesn't work if just sprayed or wiped on a surface. I never tried that because it was no longer sold.  This stuff makes the same claims about PTEF making the hull slicker.  I bought it to try on full metal jackets, already about the slickest shaft surface there is.  I shot some game in Africa with it.  Did it work?  I don't know.  But my wallet slid in and out of my pocket a lot easier!   It's about $25/14 ounces of paste wax.   But, that's enough to wax maybe 200,000 arrow shafts.

Slight odor of petroleum similar to auto/boat wax.  Goes away.  

I'll say this: the fiberglass top on my jeep and the skin of my fiberglass camper feel a hell of a lot slicker after using it on them.

I'm with Terry.  I do not agree that there is no friction on the shaft when it enters the animal. It's not a significant factor on most shots, or most animals. On hogs and on some shots with other animals, it might be.  

I will not be stressing much about this in the future.  It was just a wild hair!  And, I've got a lifetime supply!
Tom

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
A skinny 2 blade broadhead with about a 3:1 ratio and sharp is the best arrow lubricant out there!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:

Originally posted by Otto:
Seriously??

Think about this.

The only time one cares about penetration is when you hit an animal, correct??

So you hit an animal...and when the skin is penetrated, and the arrow shaft enters the body....what does it encounter???

Blood, fat, muscle, tissue......Slick slimy stuff.

Not to mention that just about any broadhead makes a hole larger than the diameter of the shaft.

You don't need lubrication on an arrow to aid penetration in a critter.
You should listen to this guy x2 [/b]
X3
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
I use woodworking paste wax by Minwax,it makes those arrows so slippery,I have never had a problem with penetration I shoot 55lbs.but I figure every little bit helps.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
OK, don’t consider hogs as that shield is a unique barrier.  Take deer, for example.    The broadhead travels at most 18” from one side to the other, and does it in milliseconds.  That’s the only time friction matters, of course.   But, I agree with JimB, it certainly does exist.  How many times have you seen a downed deer where the hole in the skin does not match the hole in the flesh, because he was moving when hit?   Sure, it feels effortless when you cut through hair, skin, flesh, and organs, so if it’s a slimy hole to boot, then it can’t cause friction, right?   Wrong.  It’s often all moving at the point of impact, and not moving in the same direction.   Think about the tissue while being cut, not the hole afterwards.   Don’t think about pushing your sharp knife through the connective tissue and organs-think about trying to pull those tissues apart with your hands while other forces are pulling along the shaft in various directions.   That tissue is moving and some part of the force vectors are acting to slow the arrow down.  
I helped track a bull that a friend had punched with a file sharpened Grizzly-60# longbow at 15 yds.  He had not sharpened the tanto edges. We found that the head had entered between ribs, barely poked the back edge of one lung and pulled it through to the offside hole where the head stopped with lung plugging the hole.   The lung collapsed but was not sliced.  He went a hell of a long way after the shot!  
That doesn’t prove anything, of course, but it showed me that internal organs and tissue can certainly slow an arrow.   To whatever extent that lung held together it retarded penetration, both as in line drag, and by pulling that arrow tip off it’s path.   Ashby showed that any time broadhead fails by bending ,or the shaft being bent, penetration stops quickly .  
Ashby also proved -to my satisfaction-that smaller diameter shafts penetrate further.    Two obvious reasons, friction and cross sectional area.     It simply stands to reason, that a slicker shaft that is also smaller diameter will improve penetration.
Yeah, when you walk up to your downed deer it’s a sloppy mess around that hole(that’s a good thing!)  But, it wasn’t like that during the time the arrow was penetrating.   The tissue was dryer, live, and maybe moving fast as hell!     We can only speculate about the effects.
That said,  this issue is about #250 on the list of things I should do to improve my chances of getting my animal.   I’m not likely to worry about it in the future.
Tom

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
I have used Vaseline on my heads for sometime now. Maybe it doesn't help but what can it hurt. If nothing else it will keep your broadheads from rusting.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Blood
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©