3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flashlights, Headlamps, and Lanterns for bowhunting  (Read 531 times)

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Flashlights, Headlamps, and Lanterns for bowhunting
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
Here is a video I made that shows you some of the diffeences in technology when it comes ot outdoor lighting. Everyone that hunts needs to have a couple good lights with them. There are so many great options out there I thought i put something together that explains those options and benifits.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flashlights, Headlamps, and Lanterns for bowhunting
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Jason....great podcast!   A lot of info there.  I guess I should have taken notes.  What was the one headlamp you talked about the most?
Thanks
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
zebralight! that is the name of the headlamp i rave about. If you go to their site right now all of thier headlamps are in the "discontinued" section as thier new line up comes out in september (probably early sept im guessing). I can not wait to see thier new lights. the one i have is the h31 and love it. The rep told me the new ones will blow that one out of the water performance wise.

Offline dcphotog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Nice video. Very informative. Never heard of Zebralight before that and am now looking at their H600 MKII headlights so thanks. Have a couple questions that maybe you can answer that I don't see on their site-

1- The 18650 battery is rechargeable but what do you recharge it with? I see no mention of a charger on their site at all and the battery they list for sale is $19 so not sure if that comes with a charger or not.

2- What is the difference between the normal light, the "Floody", and the other flood style they show? I figure the normal one has a tight beam but curious of the difference between the other two and which you recommend for walking into and out of stand and also for tracking given a choice between the three.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
dcphotog,  I would wait and see what else they have coming out as they are releasing thier new line up this little by little over the next few weeks. This h600 mk2 is a great light but has some disadvantages for us bowhunters. The light for whatever reason i can figure out is missing a ver important brightness setting in the 150ish lumen range. it goes from 1020lumens, to 330lumens, to 65lumens. it needs something between the 330 and 65 range.  
Also the rechageable 18650 batteries i personally dont have any experience with and dont thin you need that big of a light. the single cr123 cell headlamps should be out soon and are much better suited for what we do. they are also lighter, smaller, and have a better range of brightness levels we use. So i would wait it out for a week or 2 or 3 and see what they release. Even if you bought the h600 mk2 it would not ship until mid september.
Zebralights are amaizng lights and in my opinion the best headlamp made. so its worth the wait. but wait for the single cell cr123 to come out. the new single cell cr123 model will be similar to the 502 aa model on teh site but even more compact and brighter (cr123 lights are always brighter than thier respective aa models).
  The floody models are very wide angle beams spreading the light really fast and not shining out as far. the regular models are a happy mix of wide and throw in my opinion. so i would say with the non-floddy models. the floody ones are great for right in front of your face work light electricians, plumbers, etc. the colors like nw (netraul white) give a more yellow tint closer to the color of a minimag light or other "bulb" light. the normal or cool color has the classic slight blue tint of most led lights.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
this is the one i have and love. This is also the one Im waiting for the new model of to come out. ITs the best headlamp for what we do i have ever seen in my opinion.  thought this link would show you the light model and the specs so you can see when the newones come out.
 http://www.zebralight.com/H31-Headlamp-CR123-220Lm_p_25.html

Offline dcphotog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
Thanks L_B

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »
I bought a real nice headlamp at Lowes the other day made by Coast Products.  It's got an adjustable beam and puts out 196 lumens, pretty danged bright and only weighs 4.4oz.  It's called the HL7.  Not bad for $40
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »
Headlamps and flashlights are changing and progressing faster than cell phones. 800 lumen (remember those things called watts and candle power?) hand torches..."torches"? C'mon...

I have an array of nice lights, and something good to say about each of them. I like my Fenix PD32 which will knock your eyes out at 200 yards. Just 2 CR batts. Princeton Tec Remix, EOS and Vizz are outstanding headlamps running on AAAs. Snow Peak Hozuki Lantern is one of the finest camp lanterns ever devised.

Picking a good light is akin to a good bow. Many, many choices.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
That was unexpectedly great! I'm still packing the mag light daily on my hunts. I did buy a kit to upgrade the bulb for improved performance but wow those lights perform! Thanks Jason.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
The Petzel Ultra is my top choice for hunting light. I have many but hard to top the Ultra 375 lumen on high with lithium rechargable cell. It is a very bright white light not the blue that manyn cheaper lights throw. I find the blue light useless when looking for blood at night.
hunt it

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Just got a 100lumon from walmart, for 10.99, I almost got the 500 lumon, for 50$, but the wife may have killed me
Randy

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
I have several 1wt led head lamps, they cost 20$, from rayovac, and take one AA.
Randy

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by r-man:
I have several 1wt led head lamps, they cost 20$, from rayovac, and take one AA.
I like the 6 led Rayovac with red lights.  I have three.  I think they take 3 AAA. I don't have to change them much.  Great budget light.  My first is like 10 years old and has really been through it.  Push button rubber thing fell out, and the elastic has failed in the band, but still working. It is my power out light for setting on a counter to light a room or point at an area.  They run like mid 50's lumens with 4 led on and like 16 hr run time.  They are not high end, but great for the money when you want a basic work light.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
I have a 4sevens Quark AA flashlight and an inexpensive Ray-O-Vac headlamp......without a doubt, I prefer the Ray-O-Vac, both in terms of versatility and light.  I only wish that either one had a red lens.
YMMV
homebru

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
Very good stuff. Been thinking about a good headlamp.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Just an FYI. Zebra light single cell cr123 lights won't be available till end of November.
They have a new version coming out with the latest and created led but won't be avail until end of Nov.

Knowing this and just cause I wanted to try a new light I bought a new eagle tac single cell 123 d25c clicky with neutral white led and put it in the fenix clamp headband.  Really liking this combo. Been using it all season so far and love it.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
I like either AAA or AA batts on my lights and for one reason, pretty much all my electronic gidgetts use them so I only have to carry one type of spare batts,

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
I like the OTC batteries. Never have ponied up for a "special" battery lite. Wonder how much "better" they are.
I saw a re-chargable battery/lite this past week in deer camp that looked pretty darn good. It was an 18650 I think.
Anybody fool with them yet? seemed pretty nice
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Pretty hard to beat a Petzel Ultra for a head lamp for the money.  I have used to high dollar ones and for as often as I loose them I do not find them to be of a greater value to me.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©