3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flashlights, Headlamps, and Lanterns for bowhunting  (Read 529 times)

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flashlights, Headlamps, and Lanterns for bowhunting
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
the new single cell cr123 zebra light headlamp wont be available until mid december. I called them on it about a month ago. Then the kicker is there are so many people that love zebra light (millions of non hunters love these lights fir not only outdoors stuff but also plumbers, electricians, etc) that the new ones will be probably not available until after the first of the year unless you preorder the as soon as they release them.
I will buy one so i have it for next season. I just cant say enough great things about zebralight!

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
Some of my most frustrating times hunting were with the old mini mags. They would die after 1.5 hrs and leave you in the dark in a wilderness trying to change the batteries.

I don't think a g can beat those 120 lumen Ray O Vac mini flashlights at HD for $20.

I like the light headlamps without that big battery pack on the bk of your head- not needed with today's tech. I like the Princeton Tech or similar models with the small wide angle LEDs and also one high output spot for about $35. The single spot LED headlamps make me a bit woosy for some reason during a long hike in or out in the dark- the wide angle lights don't.

The small and light  headlamps with 3 AAA batteries are so light you hardly know you have them on, you can carry a backup even on a UL backpack trip, and they will last for a 10 day trip with 2 hour hike in and outs in the dark no problem, probably more but I usually change the batteries every trip.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
In one of the many flashlight threads recently, Somebody posted a site to buy batteries from.
My search function is monkied up so,,, could somebody help a brother out??
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Wetfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
dcphotog,
you can find the 18650 batteries on Amazon for much cheaper. A lot of them come with mutiple batteries and a charger for under $20. I am pretty sure the 18650 will replace the 3 AAA pack that is common in most smaller lights. I bought a headlight for my mt. bike that had the option for a 3xAAA or 1 lithium 18650.
Dwyer Dauntless  61#@27in
Grizzlys and Woodsmans
Oak BoardBow 52#@27in
Bear lil Brave 2 12#@19in

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Two Tracks:
In one of the many flashlight threads recently, Somebody posted a site to buy batteries from.
My search function is monkied up so,,, could somebody help a brother out??
Battery junction.com.   best place I found to get cr123 or 18650 batteries.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
This is a good thread. I'm constantly ordering led flashlights lights. They seem to get better every day.

Anyone considered how to mount a light on a bow for frog hunting or bow fishing? I made up an attachment recently that worked well using our Talon grip. I don't have any photos but I'll post something if anyone is interested.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Just ordered me a fenix pd32ue and a zebra h602w l2 neutral white light should be all I need and cover all my light needs. Thanks for all the tips on these lights and great reviews.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Online 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Here is a photo of our flashlight attachment. I haven't been frog hunting or bowfishing with it yet but it didn't move a bit while testing it in the shop. Sure beats the heck out of trying to hold a flashlight and bow in the same hand while taking a shot. It's sucure and doesn't affect the shot.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
That's pretty slick Don.
I know some of the die-hard pig hunters have some pretty fancy light set ups, with switches/triggers and all. They mount to an adapter hole.
Yours looks real simple and universal. Nice
What is the largest diameter of light that will fit in the slot?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Online 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Two Tracks, it will hold at least a 1" diameter flashlight. I prefer a small LED flashlight like this little raschal. It runs on one AA battery and gives off a lot of light.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
Thanks Don.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©