3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Martin Archery going to auction  (Read 575 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Archery going to auction
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
My neighbor returned from a local auction and mentioned that he saw a notice that Martin Archery was on the schedule. The James Murphy Auction company was going to be in charge of the auction in Walla Walla, WA.  

A quick "Google" turned up this:

MARTIN ARCHERY
9AM - WED & THURS - SEPTEMBER 25 & 26
Preview 8-4pm, Tuesday, September 24
2134 Heritage Road (Old HWY 12), Walla
Walla, WA 99362
Machine Shop, Manufacturing Equipment & Archery Inventory
Preview Coming Soon    

I know it has been up for sale for a couple years, and with no buyers stepping up, it looks like it will be gone for good.

Needless to say, a sad day is coming.
Lon Scott

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Archery going to auction
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
That's sad...
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
while it certainly is sad, it might be an interesting event to go see or atleast preview what is for sale.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Not good news...  :(

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Guaraci2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Realy sad! Love their bows. Have a Hunter and a X200, but wanted to have many other of their line.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Maybe somebody will pick them up and continue making their classic bows.

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
sad news indeed

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
Is Damon Howatt under Martin or is it an affiliated company?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Martin bought Howatt Archery back in 1976 and the trad line stayed in Yakima, Wa. However, that changed a couple years ago when Martin brought it all together at the Walla Walla facility.
Lon Scott

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
Sad news.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Howatts were/are great bows. I didn't know they were in jeopardy of going under. I'm puzzled, I would have thought trad sales would be pretty good these days???

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Man!  If only I could hit the lotto!  I would gobble up that opportunity in a second!  With all the knowledge of how to make a traditional bow that Larry Hatfield has and the way that Trad Archery is making a comeback, you could start a line of custom bows and keep the current models (like the Savannah) going.  That Savannah is a sweet shooter!  I hope the guys at Howatt keep going.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Yes, traditional archery is growing, but it seems like they were mostly in the compound business, which is all latest and greatest, and I guess not enough people thought Martin was.  I imagine the compound is where most of their profits and losses were, and that trad had become a side business.

I'm surprised they didn't separately sell the trad business (but maybe they tried).   :dunno:
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
I wonder if they'd auction or sell the traditional end of the business. I don't really have interest in the compound side of things. But, the Martin name, traditional designs, patents etc would be worth continuing.

Does anyone have info about this possibility? Let me know.

Like Bear Archery, I wouldn't want to see them fold.
Toelke Classic Whip 48# @ 28"
Big Jim Buffalo 51# @ 29".

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
BassBow,
You could contact Dan or Terry Martin at the plant.  Longrifleman's link tells the tale.  

This is sad for another reason.  Besides their long history, I'd guess Martin was the broadest line manufacturer left in the US.  Just my guess but, like other struggling domestic manufacturers they had likely let key employees go, trimmed costs everywhere possible, and looked to foreign suppliers.  A few months ago, Gail showed us all the kids and youth bows they are selling-recurves,longbows, & compounds as well.  He said it's a big part of their new business, and I suspect it is a big part of that "comeback" mentioned in longrifleman's link.  But, what I saw were skids and shelves full of fiberglass kids archery bows that looked to be from Asia. It did NOT look American-made. I didn't ask because I did not want to offend him.  We don't win the economic fight by sending manufacturing jobs elsewhere.  Companies say they have no other choice....and maybe they don't.  But, Americans have choices, and we're not making good ones regarding this issue!

That said, I do not want to criticize Martin Archery.  Gail also showed us their "new" DH mfg area, the new leather goods mfgs area(some beautiful quivers), and other areas that he was definitely proud of.  It is truly sad that it won't continue.
Tom

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
That's awful, I hope someone can step in and buy the company, unless it's already too late.
The trad line are all excellent bows.

Offline BassBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Tom,

I'll contact the plant.

Yeah, the overseas outsourcing seems to be the path of most businesses these days. Globalization...Blah...

It is unfortunate that business owners sacrifice quantity for quality. I am not saying that a person overseas can't make a quality bow. It can be done. I just think that "quality" is a multifaceted concept that can be whittled down to craftsmanship, and a true love and passion for your work/hobby. You can see this quality in the bowyers represented on this site. They have a desire to create a weapon that is functional, beautiful, and of a lasting quality. They are definitely not in it to get rich. Those who get into businesses like this to get rich are missing the point.

This being said, I think the USA made Martin Traditional line could continue as a smaller and stronger bow company as long as it adheres to the ideals and principles of the traditional archer.

We will see...
Toelke Classic Whip 48# @ 28"
Big Jim Buffalo 51# @ 29".

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by oldbohntr:
  Companies say they have no other choice....and maybe they don't.    But, Americans have choices, and we're not making good ones regarding this issue!
You are absolutely right about that. The problem is a perpetual cycle though. Americans are struggling just to get by, so they shop at the Walmarts of the world to save a few bucks for their families. The Walmarts come into a community and decimate its economy to the point where the only jobs left are those at Walmart and the pay is such that you can only afford to shop at Walmart.

Sorry for the rant, but as it pertains to traditional archery, I make it a point to only buy American made goods and try to shop at the smaller bowyers whenever possible. It is better for the economy as a whole, and besides, their work is crafted with heart, not with the sweat and tears of child labor.

I will  be sad to see Martin go. My first deer and elk were taken with a Martin compound. Many deer were taken with a little Martin recurve I had. I always wish I had kept that bow, but even more so now than ever.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
What do people expect to happen!? With all the taxes and regulations in this country and new health care comming to a country that has forsaken God! And people wonder why the "sky high prices"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©