3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Martin Archery going to auction  (Read 577 times)

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Archery going to auction
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
All very good points above. It will be a damn shame if Martin goes under. I too think that in the right deal and situation that their traditional line could survive, but all the stars would have to align.
Ted Nugent should buy it! I'm kinda surprised he doesn't already have his own brand of archery gear. Lol.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Sad times for sure. The original Super Ds, Hunters and others were/are really great bows. Even Jack Howard thought so as he purchased their recurve blanks to refinish and put his own name on a lower end recurve.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Boomerang:
What do people expect to happen!? With all the taxes and regulations in this country and new health care comming to a country that has forsaken God! And people wonder why the "sky high prices"
It's comments like these that show how little Americans really understand economics. It isn't excessive taxes and regulations that are the cause of outsourcing, but rather the opposite. Lack of tariffs (taxes) and regulations (NAFTA, CAFTA, Etc) are the forces that allow companies to produce goods oversees at a profit. We have less regulations and lower taxes now than at anytime in nearly 100 years. The last time was what led to the great depression.

Ok, enough of the economics and history lessons. I know this isn't the place for that.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
I wonder to what extent they've considered filing for bankruptcy?  If they really have turned around, this seems like a good move.  I own 2 Hunters and one Mamba and love them.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by TraditionalGuy:

What do people expect to happen!? With all the taxes and regulations in this country and new health care comming to a country that has forsaken God! And people wonder why the "sky high prices"
It's comments like these that show how little Americans really understand economics. It isn't excessive taxes and regulations that are the cause of outsourcing, but rather the opposite. Lack of tariffs (taxes) and regulations (NAFTA, CAFTA, Etc) are the forces that allow companies to produce goods oversees at a profit. We have less regulations and lower taxes now than at anytime in nearly 100 years. The last time was what led to the great depression.

Ok, enough of the economics and history lessons. I know this isn't the place for that. [/b]
Exactly. Its the taxes American companies have to pay here in the USA that forces companies to have there products made overseas at a cheaper cost. Why do you think they go overseas to have their products made if they could have them made here and make the same profit.  :banghead:

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Wow, if only it was 10 years from now and I had the flexibility to do something here.  I wonder if that $1.7M includes the company IP or just the real estate???  Seems like a bargain to me; especially if you can get them to split the trad stuff out.

p.s. Complaining about globalization on a Chinese made computer seems sorta hypocritical to me.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:

p.s. Complaining about globalization on a Chinese made computer seems sorta hypocritical to me. [/QB]
Exactly what I'm talking about. Why do you think we have Chinese computers!

OK back to the original topic. Who is going to buy Martin Archery?  :D

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
IMO one of the best off the rack bows to be bought!
Slickhead

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
Ok so lets see. If a guy was to sell 1000 Martin trad bows a year and he makes $100.00 a bow profit. That would be $100,000 a year before taxes and about $60,000 after. Hmmmm, it would only take about 28 years to pay back the $1.7 mill with 0% intrest. I don't think too many will go for it with trad only.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
I am sad to see Martin go as well.

But, looking on the bright side, at least this will help Bear Archery by limiting the amount of competition in a very small mass production market for traditional bows. So, maybe this will just make it easier for Bear's trad bow line to stay at it longer.   :dunno:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
It's possible that Bear or another major company will swoop in and buy them up, mostly for their patents. It happens all the time. Then they can have a Martin line of bows; most likely with a smaller selection, but with the name and designs intact.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Really enjoying the dialogue here even though it is a sad situation.

How about this.  $1.7 mil divided by +/- 40,000 members here is $42.50 each.

Just sayin...  :dunno:
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chromebuck:
Really enjoying the dialogue here even though it is a sad situation.

How about this.  $1.7 mil divided by +/- 40,000 members here is $42.50 each.

Just sayin...   :dunno:  
Now you're talkin.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Martin Archery owned by Tradgang?? Hummmmm.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
I am in!!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
I've seen the same thing happen several times over the last 10 or so years here in Sacramento.  A local company that everyone loves to deal with just shuts down.  That doesn't happen by accident.  First, the owners have to decide that no matter which way they work the numbers, there's going to be more money going out every year than coming in.  Then you have to assume that the employees must have considered an employee buyout, because after all, the alternative is losing their jobs.  The employees must have also decided that there was no way they could pull it off and still make a living wage.  If the insiders can't figure out any way to make it work, then it's got to be tough for a new owner to make it work.  You would think that if a business was as popular as some of the local businesses I'm thinking of, somebody or some group of employees would buy the business and keep it going.  The fact that it hasn't happened means that popularity with the public is not the same thing as making money, I guess.

It would probably make sense for someone to buy some of their equipment and continue some of Martin's product line as an expansion of whatever their own product line is.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
It sure is sad to see.
I like the Martin bows but I love the Howatts.

I will have dreams of all that wonderful equipment.
(who has a sales flier?)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I'd be in for multiple shares!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
If they split the company into parts (leather/goods, traditional and compound) seems like it would bring in the most money and possibly save the company (if they want to continue without 1 or 2 lines).  

I know this isn't the place for it (although most trad businesses are small US businesses), but TraditionalGuy, to say we have the least taxes and regulations in 100 years is to put it very nicely - flat out wrong.  Although we did ratify the 16th Amendment 100 years ago which enshrined the federal income tax (then around 2%)!  

Back to regularly scheduled programming.     :D
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Festivus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by TraditionalGuy:

Ok, enough of the economics and history lessons. I know this isn't the place for that. [/b]
THANK YOU and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
People really don't understand enough of what is going on and just start spouting the first thing that somebody on talk radio told them to be mad about or who's fault it is today of the way things are going. It is NO ONE person, party, law, regulation, or whatever. This has been going on for decades now. Slowly but surely.

Now. Back to the bad news.

Some money bags should buy the Damon Howatt side along with Sovereign and bring them both back!!! Ahhh, we can dream.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©